“perfect hotel if you’re shopping and/or doing the water park in the mall”

Fantasyland Hotel & Resort
Ranked #26 of 93 Hotels in Edmonton
Fort McMurray, Canada
“perfect hotel if you’re shopping and/or doing the water park in the mall”
Reviewed 2 September 2013

Shop from opening ‘til closing because the mall stores are just an elevator trip away. The kids loved the luxury western theme room, and enjoyed the in-room jacuzzi. $500 a night room with no complimentary breakfast nor free WIFI, I find that pricey. The starbucks downstairs opens early so that solved our morning coffee problem, cause the coffee maker in the room was not trust worthy. Never wait for the last minute when checking out, the elevators get busy, we waited at least half an hour to get in an elevator.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (230)
  • Greek first
Reviewed 2 September 2013

While clean these pricey rooms need a serious update. Promised breakfast credit implied for entire stay was only for one of three. Concierge was helpful. Front door lobby check-in has you fighting with delivery vehicles, dark lower level parking didn't Make me feel safe. Relying on the proximity to the mall is not a good enough reason to stay here.

Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these Edmonton hotels

Vancouver
Reviewed 31 August 2013

Great location if you are visiting WEM! The service was good - staff was helpful. The room was good. Wi-Fi was slow - needs more routers on the floor. It was a family trip to visit WEM so all of us in the room were frustrated with the slow wireless connections. Must try out World Waterpark, ziplining and Jungle Jim's for wings!

Lloydminster, Canada
Reviewed 31 August 2013

It is a first class place ...we loved the valet parking so easy and having luggage brought up to your room and brought down but give lots of notice during check out cause we waited over half hour for our luggage to be retrieved. Totally good deal here if you can get the waterpark passes and breakfast passes with the room....the food at the breakfast buffet was fabulous ..the beds ultra comfort and I am always complaining about beds on TA....great room amenities and the décor is totally awesome on each floor. Nothing to complain about ..the standard rooms are so much cheaper than the theme rooms which are really expensive but so unique don't hesitate to stay here ...so many selections for rooms absolutely loved it here

Room Tip: all the rooms are great standard rooms just as nice and a lot cheaper get one away from elevator...
Lloydminster, Canada
Reviewed 27 August 2013

My family and I stayed in the luxury igloo themed suite room #502 for my daughters birthday. Our initial impression of the hotel was great. The check in was very fast and the front desk attendant was very friendly. There are four elevators, however they are the slowest elevators I have ever experienced. I timed 8 minutes for an elevator to arrive that was empty enough for the three of us to enter. Walking the hallway to our room, the hallway carpet was very stained and dirty, not what I would expect from a hotel of that caliber. We were happy with the room initially. My daughter was thrilled with it. It was very well done and you felt like you were in the north. This all changed at night when I closed my eyes and I went from an igloo theme to sleeping above a nightclub theme. There appeared to be a wedding reception several floors down that had a large terrace full of yelling and screaming drunks. The music was so loud you could hear the booming base from the music. I called the front desk to a clueless staff member who supposedly did not know how long the party was booked for. I told her if this continued we would need to switch rooms, which she replied ok let me know. Never once offered an apology. I debated switching, but after my daughter some how managed to fall asleep with all the noise, it was not worth the hassle of waking her up and moving everything. Out of pure exhaustion my wife and I finally managed to fall asleep only to be jolted awake at 2:45 am by a group of men yelling and hollering again. I should also mention that the party was so loud that even ear plugs could not block the sound and only enhanced the deep base from the music. I can live with doors closing or people returning to their rooms, but the level of noise we had to experience was beyond what is reasonable. After an exhausting night of little sleep we stood with luggage and birthday presents in the elevator bank of the 5th floor with a growing number of other guests. When an elevator did happen to stop, it was too full and had to continue on. After 14 minutes of waiting we and several other disgruntled families decided the stairs were a faster alternative. Check out was fast as I only had to hand them a signed slip. By this point I was to exhausted and still had a long drive ahead of me to argue for a refund. $400.00 for this room was certainly not worth a single cent for the lack of sleep and frustration I had to experience with this hotel. I have stayed in many hotels big and small, from 1 star to 5 stars and have never experienced elevators that slow and a room that noisy. Nor have I had such a terrible sleep in a hotel. The time you save by being so close to the mall is erased by the wait for the elevators. I would highly recommend driving several minutes to another hotel and have a great night sleep for a lot less money and frustration.

Room Tip: Get a room as high up as you can to avoid the yelling and screaming from the drunks at their bar. T...
1 Thank Bordertravel
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 26 August 2013

Visiting family in Edmonton and my parents thought it would be a treat to put me and the kids up at the Fantasyland hotel at West Edmonton Mall for 2 nights. The kids chose the "igloo room" because the picture looked so cool on the brochure. When we checked in - we discovered that we were not in a "suite" like the picture - but a much smaller room. It's fine for sleeping, but there is no place to sit once the kids are in bed, so I ended up sitting on the floor watching movies on my laptop. It sucks that for the price ($800 for 2 nights) the hotel still charges for internet and offers no breakfast and really, apart from the passes to the waterpark - there is really no point in staying here. The hotel is dated. You can get a much better deal at a local hotel (including free wifi and breakfast) and the theme rooms are looking old and don't look like the brochures advertise. A disappointing stay and definitely not for the cost.

Room Tip: Make sure to order a suite so that you have a space to sit down once the kids are in bed.
Grande Cache, Canada
Reviewed 20 August 2013 via mobile

Room had no fan in the washroom, temperature control was either blasting cold or nothing. Cable wasn't up to par and seemed like only 2 of the 4 elevators were actually working. Checkout was a zoo with long lines and wait time. Will not return.

• Stayed August 2013