“Better than I expected”

Ranked #28 of 93 Hotels in Edmonton
Manitoba
“Better than I expected”
Reviewed 25 August 2014

We last stayed at Fantasyland Hotel in 2010, where I found their rooms grimy. I hesitated before booking this time and I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised. Their housekeeping must have improved since my last stay. We booked during their free waterpark passes special and it was great to just walk out the door to the hotel and a very short walk through the mall to the waterpark. The location can't be beat for a waterpark/West Edmonton Mall vacation. Looking forward to my next visit!

1 Thank cdnchopsuey
Fantasyland H, General Manager at Fantasyland Hotel & Resort, responded to this review, 28 August 2014
It’s wonderful to hear about your return visit and thank you for giving us the opportunity. I shared your compliments with our housekeeping team and they are so happy that their efforts in improving the cleanliness of the hotel did not go unnoticed. We are looking forward to continuing to surprise you on your many more visits to come.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (225)
  • Greek first
Reviewed 24 August 2014 via mobile

I have stayed in this hotel several other times as I love the theme rooms. When we I approached the desk there was no other customers there but four front desk attendants, three of them talking amongst themselves and not acknowledging people waiting. When I was helped my credit card wouldn't process for the 2 nights we had booked ( the limit was 1000 dollars and I didn't realize they have a 355 dollar damage deposit). I asked if I could process just the first nights booking and have my boyfriend deal with the second night when he got there. She said this was fine but the King & bunk bed room we booked might not be available. We ended up reserving a 2 queen bed room but going on the waiting list for the room we had previously wanted. In the morning we checked on the reservation at front desk, they had changed our booking to a theme room! Because it was on the weekend it was around 600 dollars. We didn't want a theme room as we had stayed in one the night before. The front desk staff was rude basically saying these are the rates and that they are busy. I have never had a bad experience before with this hotel & take partial blame because of my credit card. This however turned me off the hotel completely. If you are planning a trip stay in weekday nights! Rooms are cheaper and experience is better

Stayed August 2014
1 Thank Kelsey S

Travellers are raving about these Edmonton hotels

Saskatoon, Canada
Reviewed 24 August 2014

Stayed at the Hotel for 2 nights during the week. Have stayed here a number of times before and have never been disappointed. The location is the main attraction for us as we usually do a big "shop" before school. The hotel could use an upgrade but overall the room is very comfortable, nice beds, great pillows and our room was very clean. Used to get some perks by staying there, such as free breakfast, passes to Galaxy Land/Pool etc. but nothing was offered this time.

Handle broke on toilet, called the operator and a maintenance man was at our room in a matter of minutes. Great service.

Check in and check out was very efficient. Will be back.

1 Thank ptherres
Thank you so much for your loyalty and for taking the time to share you experience with us. I hope you were able to get all of your “back to school” shopping done on this trip. We are in the process of upgrading the Fantasyland Hotel and have just completed renovating one of our Polynesian floors. Our 10th floor now offers newly renovated Modern Polynesian Theme rooms. Your compliments on the cleanliness of your room and great customer service was shared with the entire team and is greatly appreciated. Our fall promotion will be out soon and I hope you will be able to take advantage of that.
Reviewed 22 August 2014

Awesome. Took my family for a vacation and we never had to leave the hotel once. Stayed here before and it seems to be the place the kids always want to go to. Amusement park, water park and shopping galore with a few extras just to keep you busy at all times!

• Stayed August 2014
1 Thank Braydelena04
Fantasyland H, General Manager at Fantasyland Hotel & Resort, responded to this review, 27 August 2014
Thank you for choosing to stay at the Fantasyland Hotel. I am glad to hear that the entire family had a great time. There is definitely so much to do at West Edmonton Mall and the best way to do it is by staying at the Fantasyland Hotel where you can SHOP, have FUN and RELAX all in one place. Our fall promotion is coming out soon; we hope to see you then.
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 21 August 2014

Pros:

-convenient location for shoppers and families with children, the hotel is attached to the mall, within walking distance to waterpark, galaxy land and all the children activities.
- A fridge and a coffee maker in room, complimentary bottles of water.
- easy check in and check out; reception staff is efficient.

Cons:

-Stayed in the igloo themed room; room is spacious with bunk beds for kids; a jacuzzi and huskies statues occupy one quarter of room space ; condition of the room is in need of refurbishment; room is dim, carpet is old, mosquitoes in the room, paper thin wall without sound proofing and wifi connection is very weak.

- Despite a "do not disturb" sign hanging outside of our door, housekeeping knocked on the door persistently waking us from sleep to give us toothpaste, even we didn't request it. Told her it was the wrong room and she just ran away w/out an apology.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Grande Prairie, Canada
Reviewed 20 August 2014 via mobile

Our family enjoyed our stay at the Fantasyland Hotel, but it was not as good as it could have-or should have been. On this stay, we were in a family room. The front desk staff are very friendly, and helpful. The room was large, and location is extremely convenient if spending most, if not all, your time in WED. Cleanliness is average, but showers need proper mildew stain removal. Also, carpets are badly stained, and their age is showing badly. One of the most common issues people have, on here as well as other review sites, is that the hotel is outdated. I agree, some money needs to be put towards upgrades, and freshening/renewing the rooms. Expectations rise with the price. We recommend purchasing one of the packages, they change periodically, to get the best deal. We purchased the package, "Shop it while it's hot". We were very happy with the value of our package. Our package came with a credit for the L2 lounge breakfast. We had a bad experience with the L2 breakfast; which is reflected in another review. This hotel has a lot of potential that can be renewed, but work needs to be done to have that happen. We would stay again, but only under a good package deal or on a seasonal low. The location is this hotels strongest feature. The hotel class does not reflect it's current condition.

Stayed August 2014
Thank you for choosing to stay at the Fantasyland Hotel during your recent visit to Edmonton. I will share your compliments with the front desk team; being friendly and helpful to our guest is their specialty. We have recently completed the renovation project on one of our Polynesian floors, so we now have a Modern Polynesian Theme floor. We are continuing to refresh and upgrade our theme rooms, and our design team is in the process of developing a new look for our Roman Theme floor. We are all very excited to see the final outcome. We will be coming up with our fall promotion soon. I hope you’ll have the opportunity to take advantage of the new theme rooms and promotion on your next visit.
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 20 August 2014

firstly, when we arrived (one hour after the check in time) our room was not ready. we then had to wait an additional hour for our room. when we finally did receive our room we found it to be dusty. the linen was old and worn out and the service was not that great either. it is expensive for what you are getting. they are completely understaffed. the hotel definitely has potential and the theme idea is nice however it needs some serious help.

Room Tip: choose one of the new remodeled rooms such as the Polynesian or Hollywood themed rooms.