“Terrible Management”

Ramada Edmonton West
Ranked #58 of 91 Hotels in Edmonton
Reviewed 6 July 2013

We stayed for 4 nights as it was a special July long weekend celebrating a family wedding. Location was good, but GM management service of the hotel was terrible.
Night staff was very good, arriving at 1:30am, but got to a suite that was 81C degrees. Got up and down all night turning AC unit off and on (once I found the switch by the plugin to turn it on - although no controls would work so it was full blast or off). In the morning found a wall thermostat and light switch under it. The switch (turned off) turned out to be for the thermostat (having labels on the switch and AC would be helpful and necessary). Left the room for the day with AC on thinking it would get/keep the room cool. Came back at 930pm and room was again +81C degrees with no AC running. Maintenance had gone home for the day so we tried to get the AC to turn back on ourselves. After 3 cycles the AC wouldn't turn on so room temp was going up 1 degree every half hour. Front desk and maintenance was very good (coming out in middle of night and replacing the AC unit - finishing up at 2am) as there were no other rooms to be had and it was impossible to sleep in that heat. 2 of the 4 nights were terrible sleeps because of this. Also found that our phone by the beds didn't work (found it unplugged), but still wouldn't work after plugged it in. Maintenance had to come up and fix that too. Breakfast was average, but one morning had trays of moldy cinnamon buns (likely because of sweltering heat throughout the building) and it took days to get that taste out of my mouth.
After all this, when I got the bill there was no mention or apology for the troubles we had. At checkout I asked to speak to management to discuss our stay, but he was no where to be found and no one in charge. Front desk called him (he was away for the long weekend), but he refused to talk to me. Front desk did all they could (don't fault them) and gave me their token price adjustment (all they had the authority to do). I left my contact info and asked to have the GM call me to discuss our experience and my displeasure with management service (not even a followup after the major AC problems to see if things were working fine). I'm still waiting and its been a week (no email or phone call).
The staff at the hotel provided the best service they could with a smile on their face (don't fault any of them), but the lack of management put them in a bad position. This location is poorly managed and GM provided terrible service. For that, I can't recommend this hotel and would not stay here again until management improved and overall hotel temperature issues were addressed.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Proud2BCdn_5
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Ramada Edmonton West, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2013

Dear Proud2BCdn_5,

Let me first thank you for choosing our hotel during your recent visit. We are continually striving to improve the hospitality we offer and comments from our guests are always welcome. It was unfortunate to see your stay was not as comfortable as it could have been. I would like to address this with you further. I have sent you a private message to obtain more information about your stay. I look forward to hearing from you and being of further assistance.

Karen C

Reviewed 4 June 2013

Hotel locates more than 2 KM from West Edmonton Mall. Stay experience was about average with daily hot breakfast included, although in room decor / sheets and towels were dated. Overpriced, will pick others next trip.

Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank DealsFinders
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Ramada Edmonton West, responded to this reviewResponded 27 June 2013

Dear DealsFinders,

Thank you for writing us a review. We appreciate all feedback we receive and use it to help develop the product and the service we offer.

Regarding our room rates, we make sure that we remain competitive with other hotels in the area and I am truly sorry if you found our rates to be expensive.

We hope that you will give us the opportunity to welcome you back so we can show you how great our hotel is.

Reviewed 21 May 2013

We stayed in a Kids Suite. Set up was all right, although it is silly that the bathroom sink area is outside the toilet area AND in the kids room so that they are disturbed every time someone gets up to use the washroom. There was also a slightly funky smell throughout. Unfortunately, my entire experience was ruined by the poor treatment I got from the housekeeping staff. I left behind a bottle of prescription medicine (replaceable, so no big deal) and a very expensive dental guard. I knew EXACTLY where I left them, and called very soon after we left - I got transferred to housekeeping. Over and over again. They never called back. Consider that since we'd only left within the hour, they might not have even cleaned the room yet, and there was plenty of time to find my missing items. Anyway, I went up the chain of command in emails and finally got a response today (2 days later) that they didn't "find" anything. So clearly - they just found them and threw them out. I have no way to prove this, although I know full well that is what happened - but I'm disgusted with the total lack or responsiveness and will NEVER stay in this - or probably any other - Holiday Inn again

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank DizzzyWhirled
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Ramada Edmonton West, responded to this reviewResponded 8 June 2013

Dear DizzzyWhirled,

Thank you for posting your comments.

I am so disppointed to hear about your negative experience with us. Our aim has always been to provide every guest the highest level of service and customer care and I deeply regret that on this occasion, we have failed to deliver. I apologize for any inconvenience our staff has caused you and I am truly sorry if you were not able to retrieve the items you have left in our hotel.

Your comments will be certainly looked into by the hotel's management. We hope that you would still consider us should you return to Edmonton and allow us to redeem your faith in our guest services.

Reviewed 21 May 2013

Stayed here for one night over the May long weekend.

Pros:
-Close to West Edmonton Mall.
-Front desk was very friendly and helpful.

Cons:
-Outdated.
-Rooms are extremely hideous.
-Half of the power outlets did not work in our room.
-Slowest elevator in the world
-According to my girlfriend, the bed was very uncomfortable. It was ok by my standards.

Cannot comment on the breakfast as I slept through it.

I got charged close to $160.00 for the night. Definetly not worth the price. Go elswhere.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank TripMember082317
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Ramada Edmonton West, responded to this reviewResponded 16 June 2013

Dear Dbag23,

Thank you for leaving a comprehensive review, highlighting not only the bad but also the good. I am pleased that you found our front desk to be friendly and helpful.

However, I am truly sorry about your troubles with the room. I apologize if you didn't find some of the items functional and if you didn't find them to your liking. We aim to provide the best accommodation and we regret that we were not able to deliver this to you.

Again, thank you for your comments and will be used for future upgrades. While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Reviewed 13 May 2013

We just got back from Edmonton about an hour ago and couldn't wait to post this. 1. asked for two rooms close to each other - got two rooms on different floors. 2. tried to check in early, was refused. 3. POOL: first issue, the chlorine was so strong our travelling friend required drops for a full day, but WORSE still were the dead silver fish my daughter was scooping out the bottom of the poo, while I was cleaning up broken plastic cups from the pool deck. When I looked around I noticed a thick black coating of yuk hanging from the windows above the pool. Well of course that lead to the pool shut down. We were offered the pool across the road so thought we would give it ago. Bad idea. There was green mold growing on the pool floor and a broken tile up against the wall. 4. The two families finally get back to their rooms and to sleep when our friends - on the main floor - wake up to scratching in the walls. MICE. The hotel staff comment they see lots of mice in the parking lot this time of year. Nice. So our friends wake up their small children in the middle of the night for a move to a room with only 1 bed and a pull out. It takes them 45 minutes to collect their items and move 3 floors up WITH NO ASSISTANCE FROM THE STAFF. Then, they had to move again the next morning. Very wrong. 5. and this is the last. Our thermostat in our room was wonky. I turned it down to 66 for sleeping but woke up at 1:00 am to 78! We were roasting. I had to open a window and turn on the air conditioning. Ridiculous. DON'T STAY HERE it isn't worth it.

Room Tip: Perhaps the mice haven't made it to the second floor yet!
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank 127pelican
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Ramada Edmonton West, responded to this reviewResponded 4 June 2013

Dear 127pelican,

Thank you for staying with us and providing us with your valuable feedback. Please accept our sincere apologies for falling short of your expectations. Our goal is to provide clean and comfortable stay to all of our valued guest and make their stay a memorable one. I assure you the feedback will be reviewed and most certainly forwarded to the appropriate departments. We take the confidence our guests place in us very seriously and work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences. While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Janice A

Reviewed 11 May 2013

Friendly staff. Fast check in. Comfortable room - suggest asking for room opposite end of the pool.

This is a family friendly hotel which is nice but not all families are able to manage as well as others. Screaming children chasing each other up and down the hall playing both after 10 PM and at 645 AM. Hotel staff did nothing to ask them to return to the room or maybe discreetly manage the disruptive behaviour.

Breakfast was good; cheese omelette, hot cinnamon buns, pancakes, juice, coffee etc. hot. Clean. Well stocked. Plenty of seating space in a nice open area but in our case we took it to the room after having enough of the little ones crawling under our table.

Swimming pool and hot tub area are also nice and clean.

Wireless service is dependable, at least where my room was located. Very nice hotel and conveniently located. We'd stay again.

Room Tip: Away from the pool area and not near garbage disposals out back (watching people out your window div...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Ramada Edmonton West, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2013

Dear CRM433,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write your comments. I understand that having a good night sleep is important and it sounds like we fell below your expectations. I am sorry for any inconvenience you experienced due to the noise. While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Ferdinand G.

Reviewed 7 April 2013

We recently stayed at this hotel and were completely unimpressed. I went to bath my 1 year old in a jetted tub. Upon turning on the jets I was horrified to have other peoples hair and who knows what else come out of the jets. It was horrible! I got my son out right away and called the front desk. No one offered to come and clean the tub, I was told a note would be left for the person who would check me out in the am. None the less after an entire day of driving no one was able to bath/shower. Upon checking out in the am I expressed my frustration and no one cared! I even said I would not stay with that chain again and that person said, "Ok". I was charged full price for my room. I have since called to speak to a manager about this and have yet to receive a call back. Typical!

Room Tip: Stay at a different hotel! I know I will next time!
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Lindsay2013
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Ramada Edmonton West, responded to this reviewResponded 9 July 2013

Dear Lindsay2013,

Thank you for taking the time to express your thoughts and concerns. Please accept our deepest apology for the experience you had with your in-room jetted tub and any inconvenience the situation may have caused you. We also apologize for the service you received that did not live up to your expectations. We have sent you a private message to obtain some additional details regarding your stay. Thank you for staying and we look forward to hearing from you soon.

Anthony M