“Not as bad as the hallways look!”

Executive Royal Hotel Edmonton
Ranked #47 of 93 Hotels in Edmonton
Medicine Hat, Canada
“Not as bad as the hallways look!”
Reviewed 21 April 2012 via mobile

Okay, the hallways in this place are horrific. Think old prison. The elevators are awful scary. But the room was a pleasant surprise. Nicely renovated. Clean. Comfortable. Lots of amenities. It's definitely a nice place to stay! I would stay again.

Stayed April 2012

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Calgary
Reviewed 23 March 2012

The hotel has some pet friendly rooms (with a per-night fee) which was why we chose it, but were pleasantly surprised at how clean and updated it was. The rooms are a bit small, but modern and having a small fridge is always appreciated. It's less than 10 minutes to drive to West Edmonton Mall (the front desk says about a 20 minute walk) and less than a 10 dollar cab ride should you have a couple boozies at the Mall's Bourbon Street. (And after trying to not get body-checked walking around that place... you very well might!) The front desk was very friendly which is big with me. They're the first impression you get of a place you're about to give a fair bit of money to, so don't act like I'm annoying you (a common experience I've had at Day's Inn hotels). They had an impressive Sunday Buffet in the large lobby but, at about $22.00 for each adult plate and $19.00 for the teenager, we'd never eat that many pancakes and sausages. Overall,we were pleasantly surprised with this hotel, will stay here again and recommend it for anyone needing a moderately priced place to stay.

Room Tip: You may want to get a room facing west and on an upper floor. Why? You can get some pretty impressiv...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
Riyadh, Ar Riyad, Saudi Arabia
Reviewed 16 March 2012

I have stayed at this hotel about 50 times. The ladies at the front desk are very polite and helpful. My room was ok. It seems like every time we stay here there is something broken in the bathroom.....and I mean everytime. After getting back to our room from a early wake up, we showered and headed to the mall. When we got back to our room my fiance couldn't find her seater. We looked everywhere and since it was white I decided to go ask the cleaning people if they grabbed it by mistake. A polite lady said we should go see the room where they wash the sheets, and such. When asked one of the ladies said she had seen it and put it on one of the cleaning carts. They searched all the carts and it did not turn up. We even stayed an extra day, figuring it would turn up. It did not. The head lady of the cleaning department said since they lost it, the hotel would compensate us for it. To make a long story short......the sweater (which was given to my fiance by her mother which passed away) did not show up. The hotel did nothing for us. I will never nor will my company ever stay at one of their hotels ever again.

Room Tip: Don't stay near a door. Very loud!!!!!
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Calvin S
Ontario, Canada
Reviewed 16 February 2012

I needed a hotel close to a hospital simply for a place to lay my head prior to a medical appointment. I chose this one because I had stayed previously at one of their sister-establishments elsewhere. This worked out really well. The room was very pleasant, clean, airy, bright, and well appointed. The queen bed was really comfy and I had my choice of styles and types of pillows. Internet was free; there was a fridge well placed out of the way so that its hum didn't bother me all night, The bathroom was bright with good towels and a really interesting bathtub that was designed for comfort. The movie choice on the flat-screen, wall mounted TV was the best I've ever seen - all the news releases - although the price has gone up to $15.99 per rental now. I asked the front desk for a newspaper and one was delivered to my door in a few moments. To top it all off, in my distraction I forgot a favourite item of clothing there. It was retrieved and, after a few frantic phone calls, returned to me. I didn't venture out of the hotel room nor use any of the other services of the Royal Executive, but what I did experience was quiet, clean, and courteous. Can't ask for much more. Oh, and yes, I had an issue with the wall-heater/fan arrangement too, as Painter 516 points out. Could not turn the fan off but the temperature was comfortable; i just wanted to get rid of the the whirring noise and couldn't. Slept well anyway.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
Saskatchewan
Reviewed 23 January 2012

I purchased a package for this hotel and passes to the west edmonton mall. I brought my two kids and made a nice weekend out of it. But i made a mistake, i misread the certificate. Thinking there was two passes for the two days we were going to be there. This mistake was 100% my fault. But instead of letting this hamper our weekend the fine hotel staff fixed my mistake and it turned out to be a great vacation. The kids are still talking about that weekend.
In my opion this staff and managment gets a big thumb,s up from me..

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Jeffcoo7
Kingston, Canada
Reviewed 4 January 2012

The room decor was outstanding. The staff kept it clean and tidy. There was a confusing sign over the radiator-type heating unit indicating that it was to be adjusted by using a wall thermostat. No wall thermostat anywhere. Asked for help and when we came back from dinner one section of the radiator unit was open and the "adjustment panel" exposed - right under the sign that told you to use the non-existent wall thermostat! We struggled for the lenght of our stay (7 days) to get it above 17c but never succeeded. The bed was very comfortable. The bedcoverings were totally inadequate and we ended up using the extra (very thin) blanket, the sheet-weight bedspread and our coats on top of that (with clothes and bed sox on underneath) in order to be warm for sleeping. Spent very little time in the room as we were busy over the holidays with family.

Room Tip: Check the heating unit before settling in. Also, see if there are more than two little blankets in...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 November 2011

The staff was great and helpful. I got a renovated executive suite. They are in the process of renovating, but wasn't disturbed at all during my stay. As well, the bed was amazing. A great sleep both nights.

There is every type of food you could want within a 5 minute radius. West Edmonton mall is also nearby.

Will definitely go back!