“Great Location. Average and Functional.”

Executive Royal Hotel Edmonton
Ranked #49 of 93 Hotels in Edmonton
Reviewed 30 April 2014

Stayed here on business for a 1.5 weeks in November--the Executive Royal is a very average hotel in a convenient location (about 5-10 min drive to West Edmonton Mall). The hotel itself quite is dated and the ground floor room was spacious with a bed and couch, and was complete with Bath and Body Works toiletry products, a Keurig machine, complimentary Wifi and a view of the parking lot. If you're staying here on business, the hotel is adequate, functional and clean--although for its value, I would have thought that they would include breakfast in the rate as I've seen many Edmonton hotels do. In any event, the Executive Royal is very central and there are many places to grab a quick bite. Parking is free in the hotel's large outdoor lot, which is great. However, as it is outdoors, I would suggest allowing yourself enough time to warm up the car in the morning if you're staying in the winter. The front desk staff does their job--functional but not overly friendly. In sum, the hotel is fine but I can't say that I would stay here outside of business travel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a higher floor (as opposed to staying on the ground floor).
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Darrell_Pearson, General Manager at Executive Royal Hotel Edmonton, responded to this reviewResponded 16 May 2014

Dear Jennifer H
I would like to thank you for taking the time to complete a Trip Advisor Review of your recent visit in November. This type of feedback is essential if we are to maintain the standard of excellence that we have set for ourselves

It will give me great pleasure to share your positive feedback about your service from our staff. We take great pride in surrounding ourselves with caring, professional people and it is particularly satisfying when our guests let us know we are succeeding.

Thank you for your comments and telling us we are doing a good job. I do hope we will have an opportunity to welcome you back in the near future.

Yours Truly
Darrell Pearson

Reviewed 23 April 2014

Booked into my room and it was cool so went to turn up the heat and nothing called front desk and someone came down and I had already plugged in the unit and still wouldn't work, he wiggled the wires and away it went, so went for dinner and came back, room was warm and went to turn down the heater and the controls don't work had to unplug the heater, called to get another room, got the keys and went to the next room and smelled like an ashtray, totally disgusting for a non smoking hotel, was about to check out but they gave me another room third one now, the heater works but is really noisy, not happy with this hotel anymore and I have stayed here a lot. Seems run down and nothing getting fixed. The 100 dollar deposit wasn't called for I don't think I am 60 years old and ripping hotel rooms apart is long gone for me, lol. Wouldn't recommend this place to anyone for the price you pay there are lots of nicer places I have found out for less. Will wait for a reply from the managers on this one. You have my phone number. Would strongly recommend an electrician before the place burns to the ground, especially when you have to wiggle the wires to get the heater to work.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank NormanO_12
Reviewed 16 April 2014

Stayed here before - for Edmonton it's well priced, located close to the West Edmonton Mall (big attraction) and well equipped for a small convention, trade show or training sessions. It's tired though and shows its age. The industrial brick walls in the corridors remind me of high school without the lockers. There's a good fitness facility and pool but the area of the hotel near it smells of chlorine. Windows don't open so air in rooms can be very stale. I had to keep the fan on the AC unit going constantly. Restaurant is good but nothing special. There are others, some in hotels, nearby if you tire of the hotel restaurant. If you are organizing a course or small trade show make sure they've got the timing of meals and snacks right. Ours always seemed to show up late. Hotel staff is the highlight - they are very friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: Stay away from lobby and fitness centre area where chlorine smell is prevalent, but not too far away...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank execjim
Reviewed 23 March 2014 via mobile

Not bad, but really starting to show it's age, elevators sound scary. Rooms very dated. Needed to leave a $100 deposit at desk, not a pre authorized, a true cash deposit that was fully refunded. Also room service can't be charged to room, odd in this day and age.

Stayed: March 2014
Darrell_Pearson, General Manager at Executive Royal Hotel Edmonton, responded to this reviewResponded 30 March 2014

Dear Joker1412;

I would like to thank you for taking the time to complete a review on trip advisor regarding your recent experience at the Executive Royal Hotel Edmonton. This type of feedback is essential if we are to maintain the standard of excellence that we have set for ourselves.

We are always striving to improve the guest experience, from the complete renovation of our guest rooms over the past 2 years, as well as the moderzation of the elevators which is being planned for this year. A refundable security deposit of $100.00 is required at check in, either in the form of cash or a credit card.

Again, I would like to thank you for sharing your concerns with me. I hope that you will give us another opportunity to prove that we can provide you with the quality of comfort and service that you deserve.

Yours in Hospitality

Reviewed 18 March 2014 via mobile

I was here for 3 nights. The lobby is nicely decorated, the staff was wonderful. The hallways are weird, they are concrete blocks which give a cold feeling. I was in the executive wing. The room.....very dark. Even with the lights on. They were not the proper type of bulb for that dark space. The bed was comfortable. The biggest complaint would be the noise, you can heat everything going in in the hall if cleaners are there. As well, its laminate flooring so you hear people walking around upstairs. It was decent, but i wouldn't stay here again.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank kay_fitz
Reviewed 16 March 2014

We stayed here for a night just to get away from the kids on CFR weekend. We booked in last minute no problem and the price is good for the quality of the room. We enjoyed the room and the bed was very comfortable. The restaurant service was very slow and the food wasn't very good for the price. All in all I would stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Justin R
Reviewed 16 March 2014 via mobile

We ended up here after trying several other chain hotels that didn't accept cash deposits for people who don't have credit cards. The front desk staff were very pleasant and accommodating (the had limited availability but got us a room with a pull out for our son )the deposit wasn't outrageous only 100$ which is totally acceptable. The rooms were Nicely updated and very clean. Beds were comfy, good location close to the mall easy to find. We will defiantly be making this out destination hotel in Edmonton

• Stayed: March 2014