“Fights in the hallway and barking dogs...”

Executive Royal Hotel Edmonton
Ranked #47 of 93 Hotels in Edmonton
Edmonton
“Fights in the hallway and barking dogs...”
Reviewed 6 July 2014

When we first went to check in it was a little weird a guy outside asked if he could stay with us or rent him a room- thought not much of it, didn't want to judge the hotel by people outside of it...
when we got to our room at midnight there was a puppy howling and barking in the room next to ours (which to an extent I can understand/ignore) until the drunk owners and their friends came back at 0330- they then proceeded to yell at the dog (I could hear him scratching on the door all night so I assume he did some damage),get into screaming matches,fights, yell down the hallway- go in and out the loud banging exit door at the end of the hall- so really we would've gotten more sleep in our car- at one point I called the front desk and told them to send the cops or go over there because one guy was now threatening the screaming girl in the hallway,front desk said they'd send security, who politely asked them to keep it down
...I am now lying here still listening to them at 5:00AM....The doggie gift basket for our dog was really nice, but we would've rather had sleep,peace, and quiet...YOU COULDNT PAY US TO COME BACK.

• Stayed July 2014
3 Thank SleepyBear3597
Darrell_Pearson, General Manager at Executive Royal Hotel Edmonton, responded to this review, 8 August 2014
Dear SleepyBear3597

Thank you for taking the time to complete a Trip Advisor review of your recent experience at the Executive Royal Hotel Edmonton. This type of feedback is essential if we are to maintain the standard of excellence that we have set for ourselves.

Your observations in the lack of a security presence, was made clear in your comments to me, and I would like to offer my most sincere apologies. There is no excuse. I will be speaking to both my Management as well as my Security teams and I can assure you that I will work more closely with them to ensure that this situation will not be repeated.

Again, I would like to thank you for sharing your concerns with us. I hope that you will give us another opportunity to prove that we can provide you with the quality of comfort and service that you deserve.

Yours in Hospitality

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Grande Prairie, Canada
Reviewed 30 May 2014

Checking in was ok, fast. The elevator area felt dirty and full of germs. Seen gum stuck between two bricks. The floor numbers buttons inside the elevator was painted by someone who must have been two years old and left with a can of paint. All of the room doors are nicked and scratched pretty bad. Wasn't sure if I was in the projects. Upon entering our room, we noticed the beds were NOT queens as stated, but doubles! The bathroom door lock was broken. The beds were clean, but there was hair in the shower and sink. After inspecting the room we noticed that vacuuming must be an option, and the mugs that are for the coffee machine were not cleaned properly. Our handy black light showed all the dirty door handles, and the disgusting grunge on the back of the office chair. The remote was disgusting and had to be sanitized. With the blue light we noticed disgusting spray marks on the tv stand. The window dormer was creased really bad and looked cheesy. Also the spot on the tile floor indicated that never gets a wipe with a clean cloth. It didn't smell dirty, but it didn't smell clean either! I could smell tobacco smoke in the elevators.

Room Tip: Invest in a black light. If you stay at as many hotels as we do. It's just a part of the hotel e...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Karen T

Travellers are raving about these Edmonton hotels

Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed 23 May 2014

I always have a great stay at Executive Royal Inn West Edmonton. I currently work in camp 3 weeks out of the month and earlier this year gave up my apartment in Edmonton as it was much more economical for me to stay with friends/family/ERI during my week off than to pay nearly $1500 in rent and utilities for place I am at for less than a full week. In this way I am able to save for a down payment on a home. The hotel's interior is current, and the halls, with concrete brick walls, offer great noise reduction as I hardly hear anyone in the hallways, maybe the odd housekeeper during the day if I am there. The first room I ever stayed in, had an incredibly comfortable bed that I literally did not want to get out of! Some people like firm beds but I like soft, it is better for my back. The other few rooms I was in (including 1 in the VIP section) had a different style of bed, not a pillow top but still relatively comfy - I would like to suggest that they put the same Restwell pillow top mattress in all of the rooms :) I work in the hospitality industry and I find the front desk staff as friendly and accommodating as I'd expect. They supply Bath & Body Works products which I was impressed with (and yes I take them with me as I am a nomad right now and travel size anything is great LOL). The hotel is conveniently located in the west end, close to WEM and all major restaurants and services.
The only concerns I have are that a) in the past - vehicle theft I'm told has been an issue although you will find the same issue at any city hotel. I personally have never had any problems because I'm use my brains & common sense in that regard - I don't leave any valuables in plain sight that would beckon a thief, and I lock my vehicle at all times... and b) the back door near Room 142 on the main level does not lock properly and you don't need a swipe card to get in....so undesirables would also be able to enter the hotel late at night without a swipe card....the door should be fixed by maintenance or a proper door company. Breakfast at Steels is also a good selection and reasonably priced. I have not been there for dinner yet so can't comment there, but I just may on my next visit! :) Thanks for your ongoing accommodating hospitality. I look forward to my next relaxing visit!

Room Tip: I like main level rooms even though there is an elevator available :)
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank cdngirlukheart
Dear cdngirlukheart:

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review during your past stay with us at the Executive Royal Hotel Edmonton.

It will give me great pleasure to share your positive feedback about your service from our staff. We take great pride in surrounding ourselves with caring, professional people and it is particularly satisfying when our guests let us know we are succeeding.

Thank you for your feedback and telling us where we are doing a good job. I do hope we will have an opportunity to welcome you back in the near future.

Yours in Hospitality,
Reviewed 18 May 2014 via mobile

We called the day before we came and asked for a suite with a king bed and a jacuzzi. The woman said that we wanted the "presidential suite" and made it sound like it was our only option. We stayed for two nights and ended up needing to stay a third. When we asked at 11pm on the second night if we could stay the extra night, the front desk representative said no problem and charged the money to our credit card. We were walking down the hall when he comes running after us and tells us that our room is booked for the next night, but there's a king jacuzzi suite available which is actually much cheaper... Why didn't the woman just book us into that one originally?!?

Next he asks us to call down to the front desk at 9am and rectify the situation. When I did call in the morning I was told there were no rooms available yet, but they would call the room when something was available, so now instead of sleeping in and enjoying our extra day in Edmonton, we were up early for no reason, and were stuck waiting for someone to leave so we could transfer rooms...

Well at least there's room service breakfast right?! Think again! The breakfast page was missing from our binder and when I called down the woman was mildly polite but clearly not interested in helping us order breakfast, even after I explained our breakfast page was missing.

One other thing: the night shift security guard was extremely weird. He stood at the front desk staring at us and then was up at our floor when we got there and stood staring at us until we were at our room door. It was so rude that my boyfriend finally asked him if everything was okay, and instead of replying or explaining he just ducked around the corner and kept peeking out at us. It was really really awkward.

This could be an isolated incident, or a run of bad luck with the place but we won't be staying here again to find out.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Anya K
Invermere, Canada
Reviewed 13 May 2014

I needed a hotel for a business meeting that was conveniently located and easy on the wallet. This hotel fit the bill. It is also super close to the West Edmonton Mall, restaurants and the ring roads that make getting around Edmonton a breeze.

Room Tip: Ask for an western exposure for the room, if bright sunlight wakes you up...the curtains didn't...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Pam092281
Darrell_Pearson, General Manager at Executive Royal Hotel Edmonton, responded to this review, 16 May 2014
Dear Pam092281

Thank you for completing a review of your recent stay at the Executive Royal Hotel Edmonton.
It will give me great pleasure to share your positive feedback. We take great pride in surrounding ourselves with caring, professional people and it is particularly satisfying when our guests let us know we are succeeding.
Reviewed 1 May 2014 via mobile

Arrived at 11 pm wednesday night to spend a quick night for an early business meeting. Older bald man witb glasses was very rude. He sat talking to a seurity guard about a local sports team for several minutes before acknowledging me . I asked if I could pay for the room upfront and room deposit on my debit card to which he rudely replied No WaY what kind of reputable person doesnt have a credit card? We dont take cash at night he rudely remarks. I replied that debit isnt really cash and that my credit card limit was very low. He didnt care. Obviously this building has BAD problems with shady people and druggies. I went down the road to the quality inn where the service was top notch and the room was 60$ less!!! Save your money and patience and avoid the royal executive

Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Firthmc
Dear Firthmc

Thank you for making us aware of the issue that you had with your check in process. Since then I have spoken withFront Office Manager and we are updating our policies and procedures in how we handle after midnight arrivals.

Yours in Hospitality
Darrell Pearson
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 30 April 2014

Stayed here on business for a 1.5 weeks in November--the Executive Royal is a very average hotel in a convenient location (about 5-10 min drive to West Edmonton Mall). The hotel itself quite is dated and the ground floor room was spacious with a bed and couch, and was complete with Bath and Body Works toiletry products, a Keurig machine, complimentary Wifi and a view of the parking lot. If you're staying here on business, the hotel is adequate, functional and clean--although for its value, I would have thought that they would include breakfast in the rate as I've seen many Edmonton hotels do. In any event, the Executive Royal is very central and there are many places to grab a quick bite. Parking is free in the hotel's large outdoor lot, which is great. However, as it is outdoors, I would suggest allowing yourself enough time to warm up the car in the morning if you're staying in the winter. The front desk staff does their job--functional but not overly friendly. In sum, the hotel is fine but I can't say that I would stay here outside of business travel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a higher floor (as opposed to staying on the ground floor).
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Dear Jennifer H
I would like to thank you for taking the time to complete a Trip Advisor Review of your recent visit in November. This type of feedback is essential if we are to maintain the standard of excellence that we have set for ourselves

Thank you for your comments and telling us we are doing a good job. I do hope we will have an opportunity to welcome you back in the near future.

Yours Truly