“worst”

Howard Johnson Hotel Edmonton
Ranked #54 of 93 Hotels in Edmonton

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Reviewed 3 March 2014

After giving our reservation I checked the reviews and to say the least I was worried. Upon coming to the hotel the desk clerk was friendly not rude and well dressed the lobby looked clean and nicely decorated the room is clean nothing falling off the walls or stains on the carpet... The hallway looked nice and clean looks recently renovated the downside is its a diamond in the rough... lol the neighborhood isn't the greatest but seems good there is a restaurant downstairs....
And it's March, 3rd

• Stayed March 2014
hojoedmonton, Manager at Howard Johnson Hotel Edmonton, responded to this review, 19 March 2014
Thank you for your generous comment!
We are now having a major renovation from top to bottom and even with a brand new restaurant soon to open to serve you. Once again Thank you, we are looking forward to serve you soon.
Cas N. Howard Johnson Hotel Edmonton
Kamloops, British Columbia
Reviewed 26 February 2014

Be warned of using a prepaid credit card for booking and as a room deposit. This place charged a $200 deposit on my husbands card and over three weeks later they hadnt released the funds back. It only takes one day to know if a guest damaged anything or took something so why after three weeks does someone have to fight with them to get their money back! I had to push and quite frankly get nasty to have our money returned . When I first called the woman at the desk had every excuse not to deal with the issue. The computer wasnt working, there was nobody else there to do anything....whatever! Only excuses. Finally got to talk to the manager. He tried telling me they get rid of credit card info a day after guests check out. Well if they hold $200 on a prepaid credit card then get rid of records they never intended to release those funds. Theft is what I call it. They were to fax cc company but conveniently forgot merchant id. Please, you are running a business and cant remember these things? Manager tried blaming the cc company saying they were the 'bad ones' hmmm really. They wouldnt be holding the funds unless it was requested! I would never risk having a penny of my money entrusted to this place ever again. Thieves if you ask me.

• Stayed February 2014
hojoedmonton, Manager at Howard Johnson Hotel Edmonton, responded to this review, 3 March 2014
Ms. Jennilee 74 of Kamloops, B.C.

Thank you for your stay at our hotel.
I am sorry and apologize that you have a challenge with your "PRE-PAID" Credit Card.
Any credit card that we "PRE-Authorised" is reset to "ZERO" hold upon your departure,
and it is true that (for security reasons) we destroy any information about any credit cards
that we did not charge or hold any funds. It is up to credit card company to release the funds.
I am glad to know that "Money Mart" has released the funds to you.
To avoid any challenges in the future, we will not accept "PRE-PAID CREDIT CARDS" for incidental deposit, anymore.
Once again, thank you for helping us, in our effort to serve you better.
H.J.Edmonton
Red Deer, Canada
Reviewed 17 February 2014

If you like sleazy homeless people etc. Room are like the ones a crackhead would rent. Broken lamps venting hanging, curtains off hooks, dirty windows, sliding doors that don't lock. Front desk (Chinese Lady) extremely rude and unhelpful. You couldn't pay me to stay in this place again. Yuk Yuk

Room Tip: Do yourself a favor and find something else. Unless you are a druggy might be a good fit, go down t...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Lorraine G
hojoedmonton, Manager at Howard Johnson Hotel Edmonton, responded to this review, 19 February 2014
Ms. Lorraine G.

Thank you for your comments.
we are with new owners, and new management.
This reinforces our commitment to renovate the whole hotel,
as well as, the retraining of employees.
You will see the completion of our renovations by late spring.
Once again, thank you, as well as,
for inviting two of your guest to stay with you on the next day of your stay.
Manager
H.J. Edmonton
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 10 February 2014

I had booked 2 rooms for me and my friends for our girls weekend in Edmonton. Unfortunately the hotel was the worst part of our trip. The front lobby was ok, and the staff for what little we saw them seemed fine, but one of the rooms I booked was not in great shape, the bathroom was beyond worn down and there major patch jobs done on all the walls (it looked as though someone had punched a hole in the wall). The other hotel room I had booked smelled like cigarette smoke (this was a non-smoking room), and had a similarly worn bathroom and main room. The balconies off the rooms also looked like they would plunge you to your death if you got on them. With the two rooms I had booked I had to put down a deposit of $200 per room, which is crazy high.

The next problem occurred with a couple down the hall having a shouting match in the hallway before 5am Sunday morning. The noise problems continued off and on in the hall until 730am when the police arrested/removed the people from the hotel.

Overall the rooms were clean and the beds comfortable, but the rooms were in such a rundown condition they probably should not have been used. I would not use this hotel again or recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Katrina L
hojoedmonton, Manager at Howard Johnson Hotel Edmonton, responded to this review, 11 February 2014
Ms. Katrina L.

We are under new owners and new management.

Thank you for your review.

This would affirm our commitment in the total renovations that we are presently doing on a floor at a time basis. New windows, taking off the balconies plus new facade on summer and replacing all air-conditioning units with brand new PTAC's. We have commissioned an interior designer to redesign and place new Furnitures, Fixtures and Equipments.

Our target is to finish the renovations by around late spring.

We apologize the inconvenience of your stay and would like you to try our hotel after our renovations.

H.J.Edmonton
Reviewed 7 February 2014 via mobile

This hotel was very, very sketchy. They required a $200 deposit, which is absurd for a $79 room.
The hotel lobby was in good repair, but the elevator and hallways were dingy and dark.
The room smelled musty, and there was a constant banging sound all night outside the window.
This hotel does not offer continental breakfast.
The manager at the desk was incredibly rude and impolite, and made us feel like criminals for checking in so late. She made it clear she didn't think we could pay the deposit.
All in all, I would say NEVER use this facility.

• Stayed February 2014
4 Thank 0412jess
hojoedmonton, Manager at Howard Johnson Hotel Edmonton, responded to this review, 10 February 2014
Thank you for your review.
If we are the Hotel that you have stayed, please accept my apologies if we did not meet your expectations. We will strive to earn back your business with great service and major renovations, target completion is around late spring.
I work for the New Owners & New Management, for almost six months now.
Our elevator is Brand New & our Hallways are Lighted with 23W CFL Bright White.
I am (male) the manager of Howard Johnson Hotel, would like you to please try our hotel after we have completely renovated our Hotel by summer of 2014.

Respectfully,