“needs sprucing up in rooms too for the $$”

The Sutton Place Hotel Edmonton
Ranked #75 of 93 Hotels in Edmonton
“needs sprucing up in rooms too for the $$”
Reviewed 19 February 2012

construction in main lobby and 'alternative' restaurant is a big detraction right now - we always use this hotel and will look around for next time.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank lesshaze

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Red Deer, Canada
Reviewed 5 February 2012

I found a steal of a deal on Hotwire.com and because it's location was very central (Edmonton City Centre Mall, and everything downtown including LRT), this was the reason why I booked it.

Sure, the hotel is dated - they've promised renovations to the rooms and yes, you can tell the rooms need it. Minor detail (dust on lamp/bathroom lights, old climate control thermostats, old TVs) turned me off a bit but not enough to never come back again. I don't know why I had expected to much from this hotel, maybe because I assumed The Sutton Place was a bit more high class/fancy than others. I had a great sleep, the doors need a bit more light/soundproofing but the room itself was pretty good for what I needed to do - sleep. Could have used more pillows (I like the Crowne Plaza's pillow idea).

The only thing I'd advise is parking. I wouldn't pay $23 to park in the 'assigned' Sutton Place parkade when there's parkades very, very, very close for $6. I parked in the City Centre parkade beside the old YMCA (which is connected via pedway) and it cost $6. It's all about convenience I guess. I was in the assigned parkade when I first showed up but left (without paying, it was odd) and changed my mind and parked somewhere else.

I think the front desk staff could be a little more informative about the property. I even made mention I've never been here before. No mention about the amenities, facilities, or even where ice was located. Little things like that I feel go a long way to those who travel and have to stay somewhere for the night.

It's a great location, that's why I like it. The deal was right, that's why I booked it. I'd stay again for the price I paid!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Travis K
Lloydminster, Canada
Reviewed 30 January 2012

It is really quite amazing that you can stay at a hotel two times and have completely different experiences each time.

I stayed at the hotel 3 nights. First night, I had a bed as hard as Fred Flinstone. Right next to the ice machine, very noisy! NOT IMPRESSED! Second night I got to switch and they mixed up my rooms and sent me on a wild good chase. I ended up in a room right next to the elevator on the pool floor. I was starting to think they were dumping all the crappy rooms on me? I complained that I had already had one very noisy room and could I have something even average? They finally moved me to an awesome room - top of the line. Lesson learned? This hotel has alot of different rooms, of different upgrade levels. You never know what you are going to get!!

They are also going throu renovations. Not really a nice environment to stay in.

Also, I was told by several people, this is a part of town that is not safe to walk in? YIKES!

The good thou - the one gal at the front desk tried really hard to help me. The Elephant is an awesome restaurant. The pool and whirlpool are so nice too!

Room Tip: Beg for an upgraded room???
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
Cold Lake, Canada
Reviewed 30 January 2012

The hotel was clean, and beautiful though obviously not in it's prime. The rooms were old fashioned (big tube t.v.'s not flat panel etc) but the room was clean and comfortable, and you could tell that the quality had been really good. The conference rooms and lobby are beautiful, I was there for a conference, which was great, but it would also be ideal for weddings. We booked our rooms almost a year in advance and got a really fantastic deal, so I have to say it was great "bang for your buck". It's the location that sets it apart though. Right in the centre of downtown, with pedways to city centre Mall, Canada Place, and the Shaw conference centre. We didn't have to set foot outside unless we wanted to.. which is great for those cold winter days.

Calgary
Reviewed 19 January 2012

I used to stay here on business trips a couple of years ago, and now I need to make regular trips again. This hotel is right on the outskirts of the core - a good location. Check in was easy. My new work colleague, who has been making a habit of staying here, was given an upgrade and said his room was decent. If my room was also an upgrade then it was disappointing. Good size room, dated furniture, and old tube TV. You don't see too many of those in business class hotels anymore. My towels were pretty dry/crispy and the toilet tissue was sandpaper - something like you I guess you might find in a Motel 6 in the U.S.. The continental breakfast is mediocre and that is being nice. Don't try to find any protein, just breads and fruits. The place was quite nice just a few years ago including the breakfast. Anyway, this week coming I will try another downtown hotel and in two more weeks I'll try another one again. Watch for those reviews in order to get an apple to apple comparison.

Room Tip: My room was not great - high floor. Maybe the lower floors have been renovated.
1 Thank Wavie_Davie
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 19 January 2012

I paid way too much for a very mediocre hotel room. Would never stay there again. Avoid at all costs.
Brian S.

Room Tip: Whatever you do, don't eat on site. Part of the Sandman Chain - not the REAL 5 Star Sutton Plac...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled on business

Travellers are raving about these Edmonton hotels

Canada
Reviewed 16 January 2012

I stayed one night at the Sutton Place while attending a year end party. The banquet facilities and food were both really good. The rooms not so much.
The bed was comfortable , sheets clean however I feel like I needed a black light to scan the tired looking bedspread.
The bathroom was another issue. Although it was surface clean the tile grout was nasty with mold in places and the taps had heavy lime deposit. Didn't feel clean showering there.
The staff were all very friendly.
Come on Sutton, clean up, you could be a great hotel.

Room Tip: Wait until renos are done.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple