The Sutton Place Hotel Edmonton
US$101
Hampton.com
US$155
US$100
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 22 July 2013

I stayed here while attending a course at NAIT for the weekend. I wanted a place that was on a main bus line (so I didn't have to wake up my husband and toddler to get to my course in the morning), and that had a pool so that they could be entertained while I was gone.

We used the Locals rate, which was a discounted rate with early check in, late check out, and had parking included.

Decor is dated. Fitness area is a little sad for someone like me who would like some weights to use. But it did the job. This was actually our second time using this hotel. I would go back.

Room Tip: Try to ask for a room away from the elevators. They're a little old and clunky.
Reviewed 16 July 2013

I stayed at this hotel because the location was great. It is an older hotel which has been dressed up. I received a great deal through Expedia but I still had to pay for underground parking and use of the internet. My room was comfortable enough, but just that " comfortable".

Reviewed 15 July 2013

Stayed there last week for the first and last time. The room was old and dirty and smelled really bad. The woman at the reception when I went to check in, Fatima, was very rude. The only reason we stayed was that we could not find a room in another hotel on such short notice.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else
2  Thank chrissiel
Reviewed 15 July 2013

The hotel is "fairly" clean and in a central location within walking distance of several shops, venues and restaurants. They inform guests with signage that the hotel is undergoing updates. Keeping that in mind, we tolerated the atmosphere and quirks.

In my opinion, the mold around the bathtub has nothing to do with upgrades and regardless of how old the faucets and tiles are, they should be clean and free of black mildew. I managed to scrape it off with a plastic spoon before allowing my child to take a bath.

Guests smoking on the non-smoking hotel floor we stayed on, were dealt with by simply spraying air freshener up and down the hallways, we were never offered a new room on a different floor nor compensation for having to put up with it.

The concierge, as kind and caring as he was, could not assist us nor did he know where anything was (not his fault, but rather a lack of training).

We were never told that there was any breakfast in the morning upon checking in, and only learned of it as we were checking out.

During check out, the manager would not come out of her office to help the clerk solve our dilemma. Instead she had the clerk go back and forth relaying her answers to me 3 different times, before I got fed up and left without any questions answered. The hotel manager created a vast amount of confusion and stress, not to mention the long distance cell phone costs I incurred trying solve the issue before heading to the airport. All of the confusion and time wasted could have been avoided if she had simply come out of her office and spoke to me directly.

The Human Resources Manager did go above and beyond to clear the confusion. For this we were grateful because we just barely made it to the airport on time due to all the time wasted during our check out.

We have stayed here before and found our stay enjoyable in the past. As frustrating as this recent experience was, we may give it another chance because of our past positive experience.

Things happen, how they are resolved makes all the difference. As a Hotel Manager, choosing to stay in your office and answer questions through a third-party is not a reflection of good customer service. Hopefully the Manager and Concierge will receive the training they need to assist guests appropriately. Giving a guest your time can show you care for them more, than if you give them a discount.

Once the changes and improvements they are making are completed, I am sure things will not only run much more smoothly but the atmosphere will be equal to other hotels in the area.

Room Tip: To be fair: Gave the spa a low rating only because I could not leave the rating empty. We did not see the spa so we have no opinion. We gave breakfast a low rating because we were never told about it and only found out about it when we were checking out.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 7 July 2013

We spent one night at this hotel. Fortunately, our experience wasn't like most others'. Our room was clean and comfortable and check in was without hassle.

The only beef I have from our stay is that the free wifi was difficult to connect to and was slow once connected.

The room was old and dated but everything was clean and in place.

Our check out took longer than usual because there was only one person behind the counter who showed poor time management skills. She finished with several phone calls before helping us, though we were waiting before the last call came in. It would help if the Sutton Place hotel could offer a quick check out option.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple