“Location Is Key”

The Sutton Place Hotel Edmonton
Ranked #73 of 91 Hotels in Edmonton
Reviewed 7 October 2013

I took a gable with a Hotwire website and ended up with The Sutton Place. After telling people that I was staying here for a wedding, people assumed I was 'classy' and had a lot of money to blow. Luckily, the price is right and the location is worth it. However, the hotel is indeed old and the rooms could use a splash of 2013. Everything worked in my room, everything was pretty clean (a few dust spots in the bathroom light fixtures). Parking is a little confusing and on the expensive side but due to construction, I parked in the City Centre parkade around the block for $9 rather than the lot right attached to the hotel for $26.

I love it here because of location to transit and everything downtown. Front desk staff could be a little more informative about the venue, especially if you're new. You get what you pay for - just know parking is extra.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Travis K

Reviewed 5 October 2013

The initial issue was that they gave away our room with a two beds but told us it was our mistake (despite us having a confirmation printed out confirming we booked a room with 2 beds) and kept trying tying to give us a room with a bed and a cot, repeatedly claiming there were no other options. Finally, after I asked if they had any other rooms with single beds, they offered me this, and I was happy with the resolution. They then disabled my key the next day, after which I got locked in the stairwell since they didnt contact me to let me know they had a new room for the next night. There was construction outside the building that the front desk seemed unaware of, and we were refused entry into the downtown parking we had already paid 31$ for that day. When we asked about it, they said they didn't know what to do. While theses issues were likely not the fault of management, nor the employees I spoke to, there was zero amount of cooperation on their parts unless I specifically spelled it out for them, and with great reluctance. I have never felt more disrespected than at this hotel.

• Stayed: October 2013
2  Thank Lisa1808
Reviewed 3 October 2013

Stayed here for meetings in Edmonton in late September 2013. It's a very nice hotel in the heart of downtown Edmonton; attached to major shopping centre Edmonton City Centre by the city's outstanding pedway system, as well as to office towers and other facilities. The staff were wonderful; the room was nice, large and spotlessly clean. Large flat-screen TV. Check-in and check-out were fast and friendly. I was asked on check-out if I had enjoyed my stay and if everything was to my satisfaction.

The deal our conference group struck with the hotel gave us access to free wi-fi (it was a bit slow, but most hotel wi-fi is in my experience) and the free continental breakfast, which was a step above most continental breakfasts I've had, including cold cuts, quiche tarts and hard-boiled eggs as well as the usual cereal, pastries and juice.

The hotel was undergoing renovations, which didn't disturb us at all. The room was chilly the first night, with no in-room temperature control; I mentioned this at the front desk and it was taken care of. A colleague suggested it might be a side-effect of the renos.

Overall it was a great hotel in a great location and I was entirely satisfied with my experience there.

Reviewed 1 October 2013

Front desk staff were impersonal and provided little or no information on the hotel nor its surroundings. There were line-ups at the front desk both on check-in and most other times, staff seemed overwhelmed and irritable. Hotel is not in a good location - very close to the YMCA so many vagrants and homeless folks around and not safe in particulat for a woman traveling alone. Given other choices in Edmonton, this hotel is not recommended.

2  Thank lillmvon
Reviewed 26 September 2013

if you plan on being connected with the outside world at all do not stay here. at first glance the hotel is not bad and the restaurant is pretty good, but I stayed here for a week and the internet was so bad and the hotel staff so uncaring that I cannot reccomend this place to anyone. L

1  Thank MSALLEN
Reviewed 25 September 2013

The two nights I stayed here were okay, despite the ongoing renovations. The room was clean and comfortable and I found the staff to be friendly and helpful. The rooms are a little dated but maybe they are included in the overall renovation plans. For now I couldn't rate it better than average.

Reviewed 22 September 2013 via mobile

We stayed here one night. This is not an upscale hotel. They have redone the lobby but the new couches are already stained. After a regular flush of our toliet it began to overflow. We immediately called the front desk and they said they would send someone right away. 15 min later the water was overflowing into the room. We called the front desk again and the same lady we spoke to acted like she didn't know what we were talking about. Finally a maintenance man arrived and began accusing us of plugging the toliet (which we didn't) and then told us he didn't have time to fix it and left. We called the front desk again and they said they would send someone up for new keys for a new room. It took 45 min for the new key to arrive. Once we were settled in our new room we discovered there were still dirty towels draped over the shower rod. We will not be staying at this hotel again nor recommending it to further travelers.

• Stayed: September 2013