“THEFT- don't stay here”

Four Points by Sheraton Edmonton South
Ranked #52 of 93 Hotels in Edmonton
Reviewed 5 March 2014

A group of 18 of us stayed here. Two of our rooms on two different floors were broken into and robbed. The police are investigating and have a picture of the suspect taken from the security cameras. He is a man known to regularly deliver flyers in the hotel.
The doors on many of the rooms DO NOT close properly. This allows access to people like men delivering flyers who are allowed to wander the hallways.
The hotel was not helpful when we reported the thefts. We had to call the police ourselves and did not even get a discount on our rooms.
What kind of hotel security allows strange men to wander their halls?
Do not stay here- there are lots of hotels in Edmonton.

Room Tip: Stay elsewhere
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Mamesthename
1544, Director of Sales at Four Points by Sheraton Edmonton South, responded to this reviewResponded 7 March 2014

Dear Reviewer;

Thank you for your feedback.

The Four Points by Sheraton Edmonton South does confirm that over the weekend of February 22nd and 23rd we had a sports team staying at our property. During their stay two of their rooms were accessed by a non-guest of the hotel and money was taken.

The perception that the hotel is indifferent to this incident is inaccurate. Since being notified of the incident, our Management Team has been working closely with Edmonton Police Services to ensure the person responsible is caught and charged to the fullest extent of the law.

Upon investigation with the EPS, our key card reports confirmed that only the assigned guest room keys were used to access the guest rooms during the estimated times of the robbery. We also have full security footage of the suspect accessing the guest rooms along with additional evidence that has been provided to the EPS to apprehend said individual.

Allegations that our Management Team were unsympathetic or had ulterior motives are unfounded as they were simply communicating and upholding our hotel policy that “The Four Points by Sheraton Edmonton South is not responsible for lost or stolen property” and acting on the direction of our General Manager. We would also like to reiterate that the Constable that responded to the call communicated with the guests that based on his findings, at that time, the hotel was not at fault for the breech in security.

Our property has numerous security features in place to provide our guests with a safe and restful stay. There is also a notification letter on the back of all our guest room doors outlining and strongly encouraging that our guests use all of these security measures available to them while staying with us. All of our guest rooms are outfitted with an electronic key card locking system, a dead bolt, an actuator that automatically closes the door (both doors to the guest rooms were checked by hotel Management and EPS and were confirmed to close as per standard), and a swing bar lock at the top of the door. After reviewing the details of the robbery we have confirmed that there were no “master” keys or additional keys used to enter the guest rooms, nor was there any damage to the door and/or locks to indicate forced entry. Based on these findings, we have determined that the guest rooms entered were manually propped open leaving opportunity for anyone to enter the room. Unfortunately, this individual took full advantage of the circumstances.

The Four Points by Sheraton Edmonton South takes great pride in the comfort and safety of our guests. We will continue to give our full support to EPS to aid in their investigation. Please rest assured that we will do whatever we can to ensure the comfort and safety of our guests.

Holly Watt
Director of Sales and Marketing

There are newer reviews for Four Points by Sheraton Edmonton South

Reviewed 18 February 2014

the hotel is old and tired. There is substantial wear in the rooms, with the decor and the state of the furnishings. The wall paper was peeling in the room, there were stains behind the nightstand. the carpet was lighting and worn. the furniture was worn and scratch and in dire need of replacement. housekeeping could be trained better in how to properly clean, as evidenced by the stain behind the nightstand and the bathroom with long hairs left behind. the first room I checked into had soap puddles in the tub. the second room they moved me to was in not much better shape. the hallways had worn out carpet and marks on walls. elevators were the same with lots of scratches on the walls.
staff were quit to fix the first dirty room. check in was a little slow and the girl at the front desk seemed really confused. it took about 15 minutes and then when it was sorted i was on my way. they did comp my breakfast as a apology which was a nice gesture.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank hunglow
Reviewed 13 December 2013

I stayed here overnight due to location near my office. Although the bones of the hotel are older, they have done a nice job updating the rooms to the new Four Points standards. The pub was good, bed was comfy, and front desk staff were engaging. If I needed to stay in the area, I would stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 13 December 2013

As the title says I spent 2 weeks at this hotel staff were very friendly were always happy to help in anyway they could. The quality of food was amazing especially sunday brunch. If I am ever back in Edmonton this is where im staying.

• Stayed: November 2013
2  Thank Lee W
Reviewed 11 December 2013

I had multiple business trips to Edmonton and I stayed at this hotel for three 2 week stays.
It gave me a chance to sample the full room service menu as well as the Sunday Brunch on multiple occasions.
I was very happy with the quality of the chef and his cuisine.
EX - Boneless wings are not pre-packaged frozen nuggets, they are actual chicken wings de-boned and not over-sauced.
Also they serve fresh pressed apple juice for breakfast!
As a frequent business traveller I really enjoyed the fresh focused kitchen.

The Sunday brunch was very impressive value and quality. In addition they had a lady playing contemporary music on a full size harp. Great ambiance!

The suite rooms were very nicely furnished and provided a good distance between my bed and any noises that other guests may make during the night.

The front desk staff were very personable, professional, remembered my name very early on in my stay and greeted me with genuine sincerity.

I have stayed at many hotels travelling for business for over a decade and I wouldn't stay anywhere else when I'm in Edmonton.
Great value & great experience!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
1544, Director of Sales at Four Points by Sheraton Edmonton South, responded to this reviewResponded 21 January 2014

Hi Christopher;

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave such a detailed review of your stay with us. Our Chef and his team and constantly finding fresh new ideas to enhance our menus - I am so happy to see their efforts were reflected in your stay and I will be sure to share the feedback with them.

Our Associates really are special and take those extra efforts to ensure the best stay for our guests. We are looking forward to the upcoming year and hope to see you again the next time you are in Edmonton!

All the best;

Holly Watt
Director of Sales and Marketing

Reviewed 2 December 2013

Greeted by friendly staff and provided an alternate room choice as large wedding had booked a number of rooms. Appreciated the accommodation made to the request. Room was nice but average. Clean but starting to look worn. Great value for the price.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 19 November 2013 via mobile

We had to bring our daughter to Edmonton for a heart procedure, which dates kept changing. The hotel was great and very good about cancellation, like the day of. The hotel is, um, not new. The foray is fabulous, impressive even. There is a pub & full service restaurant. Staff really make you feel welcomed. Clean, bright rooms, hallways, common areas. Beds and pillows, well, clean. OK, they are not comfortable. All my family tossed and turned, and I was sore by the second night, looking forward to home. Also, on second floor, got some machine noise at night, but not in daytime. Yawn, and this was bothersome.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends