“Won't return. Old hotel, small elevators, rooms need a another makeover.”

Four Points by Sheraton Edmonton South
Ranked #52 of 93 Hotels in Edmonton
“Won't return. Old hotel, small elevators, rooms need a another makeover.”
Reviewed 2 January 2010

I stayed one night at 4 Points Edmonton South. I've stayed at a Mississauga ON 4 Pts; unfortunately there are similarities - and not in a good way. Both are hotels that have been through several names and makeovers, but it's time for another makeover.

Easy to find, since there's no other tall buildings in this light industrial area. A casino is just one block away. Four Points has a Wendy's in the parking lot, and an Arby's nearby. I saw no plug-ins in the parking lot for car block heaters.

I waited at the front desk unattended for a while, then had to call out to get an agent to come out. Computer system was down, so that took even more time (she didn't ask if I was an SPG member; turns out they already had my access card waiting.)

In the lobby in the afternoon were complimentary sandwiches and homestyle cookies. The sandwiches were individually wrapped, but with no refrigeration, I took a pass. Behind it was a corner wall of stone to the basement that looks like it once had a waterfall; water remains at the bottom. At the other end of the building are a pub and restaurant. The lobby has a fireplace and leather couches.

This 7 storey building has 2 small elevators. One was out of service. The 5th and 6th floor have a free computer with flat screen and printer at the end of hallway. Cameras in several public areas.

My queen bed room had also a queen sofabed with huge coffeetable. The hotel is smokefree; there was no odour in my room. In front of the bed is a wide screen TV with wires that hang down and four outlets under the TV, so the appearance could be improved. Also, the storage unit for clothes is weird. There are 8 boxes with handles that slide into the storage spots. You have to see it to believe. Incredibly annoying.

Large desk next to it has both coffeemaker and your one free bottle of water. My room had a fridge, no microwave. All the wood furniture has wear indicating it's cheap. Light fixtures are unique. In my room, the window was sort of bay - with a separate side window. Really drafty - even though the windows don't look that old. As such, the heater was kicking on constantly (there's a digital thermostat on the unit). Near the window is a light green upholstered chair with blue piping; I suspect it was stylish in the late 80s.

There's only one wall print in the room. Majority of the walls have a gold and white striped paper. Carpet is sort of gold; it needs replacement. There's an old style closet with iron/board. When you open the closet door, you block the hallway door.

Next to the closet is a really small bathroom (you can wash your hands while seated) with low suspended ceiling. Curved shower rod and there's a hair dryer. Fan is on a timer; no night light - although I suspect there used to be a light on the floor - and the ceiling light switch is higher than usual.

I can usually sleep through anything, but woke several times during the night. Anyone talking in the hallway can easily be heard as if they had a microphone.

The hotel's basement has a fitness room and pool. I'm still unclear of hours; signs say 6am to perhaps 10 or 11, but I think the room book says the fitness room is 24 hours. The fitness room equipment is described as 'state of the art', but has no built in TVs. There are two flat panel TVs on the walls, and a stereo. Only 1 treadmill (NordicTrak commercial - with fan), 1 elliptical, but 2 bikes, and 2 weight stations (1 is Golds Gym commercial). There was a mat and ball, and a rack of weights. In the corner, there's a bit of construction - looks like a sauna being built.

The pool area has been completely madeover. Great use of colour. Not luxurious, although the one wall next to the pool has stone with glass blocks above. The pool is really a lap pool. Looks like they took out a whirlpool at the end of it and are installing a sauna - but that's only a guess. Towels available in both pool and fitness areas, but not in the changerooms.

The change rooms in the hallway to the pool and fitness rooms have had a complete makeover. Again, not luxurious, but functional (including shower stalls and a few lockers).

I received my bill under door; no need to contact front desk. Free newspapers in the lobby (both Edm Journal and Globe & Mail). The lobby also has a very small store, just before the elevators.

Edmonton doesn't have much for hotels at the south end, although there is now a Best Western south of the Henday (near the airport) and a Holiday Inn Express on Calgary Trail at 23rd Ave.

So, my overall impression? I liked the price and that it's smoke-free, but it is old, cheap, and with non-existent service. I won't return.

Stayed January 2010, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
  • Korean first
Detroit MI
Reviewed 7 December 2009

When looking for lodging for 30+ folks, with a weekly avg of 12-15, we looked at several facilities in the area. The reason I chose this facility for our long term lodging needs was that Mark White took time out of his schedule to meet with us, give us a tour of the facility, and spend all the time necessary to address all our questions & concerns. Mark has continually helped us out on several items, and continues to represent your organization in a truly professional manner. While price is important, I chose to conduct business with people, not companies, and Mark sets your organization apart from the others.

Also, as the staff at the hotel has gotten to know us, they have gone out of their way to make us feel welcome, and to do little things which are truly appreciated (like having our luggage out of storage when we get there, or knowing that a person in out party drinks grapefruit juice with their breakfast). It's actions like this that will have us staying at the FourPoints for a long time to come.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled on business
Edmonton
Reviewed 2 December 2009

The sales team at the Four Points goes out of their way to accomodate my needs. I book a lot of hotel rooms and meeting rooms here and they always meet my expectations.

THe food in both the pub and the dining area are great. It is nice to have a choice of a quick lunchtime buffet in the dining area as well as a choice to sit down and eat in the pub.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled on business
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed 7 November 2009

This is a very nice hotel in a central location in Edmonton - beautiful lobby area and rooms have been remodeled recently and are very modern and clean. We didn't spend much time at the hotel but were very pleased with the value and would definitly stay here again.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled with friends
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 1 September 2009

We spent 2 nights here and they were wonderful. The staff were very friendly and courteous. The room was super large, quiet and the beds were comfortable. It had a large desk and the flat screen TV had excellent reception. The free internet was very high speed. There was no microwave or fridge but the restaurant was good. Very clean and inviting for sure.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank kelly_3399
richmond
Reviewed 19 August 2009

The 4 Points was there for all our needs. The check in was quick. Polite, courteous and helpful staff. The large rooms were bright and clean, plasma tvs and new duvets. Food quality was good.
The management team ensured our trade show ran smooth. They were always around to make our tradeshow succesful as this was the first time we have used the Edmonton 4 Points.
We will definitely be back.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled on business
Saskatoon, SK
Reviewed 11 August 2009

We stayed in a standard room (2 adults and 2 children) and from the start the hotel associates were warm and helpful. The restaurant staff was prompt and the food was great. The hotel was clean, spacious, and well decorated in a modern look. I used the gym and found the facilities well taken care of. The hotel is also located with easy access to the rest of the city. This is the hotel of choice for us every time we go to edmonton.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family