“In need of renovating. Old hotel”

Travelodge Edmonton West
Ranked #73 of 93 Hotels in Edmonton
Calgary, Canada
“In need of renovating. Old hotel”
Reviewed 20 June 2013

This is an old hotel in desperate need of repair. Blankets looked like little mice have taken little chunks of the blankets. There are lots of spots where the blankets appear to have the holes darned together. The bathrooms had very poor water pressure when showering and you had to hold the toilet flusher down in order for it to work. One of the sinks in the rooms leaked and appeared to have burn marks around sink. Beware those with chlorine sensitivities as there is a very strong chlorine smell in lobby area. Business computer in lobby was not complimentary and charged $7.00 for 30 minutes to use. One of our rooms smelled of smoke even though this is supposed to be a non smoking hotel. There is no fridge or microwave in rooms and rooms seem very small. Elevator is very small, jerky and noisy. Not good for someone who is claustrophobic. Great TV's and cable in rooms.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed 3 June 2013

I briefly stayed in this hotel when my friend came up to edmonton to visit. We figured we'd skip the mall and just hang out by the pool, it even has a waterslide, great idea right?
Well, the only way I can fathom this place remains open is the sheer amount of first timers getting suckered into picking this hotel for the waterslide. DON'T! This hotel isn't the worse I've ever seen, not by far, but it is sub-par in quality in every way compared to equivalently priced hotels literally across the street. That in itself wouldn't get it a one star but its the general bad feeling I got from staying there. A waterslide is going to attract kids and a major attraction in edmonton is a waterpark, meanwhile the rooms are too small for families and the pool area is less kid friendly than you'd expect a pool with a slide to be. We didn't even hang out by the pool since, as stated before, it was abnormally cold. Feels like they are ripping off tourists with no efforts to improve facilities or service.
If you are traveling with kids pick a different hotel and suffer the crucible of the west edmonton mall waterpark, or tell the kiddies they'll have to do without.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank EveP374
Winnipeg, Canada
Reviewed 1 June 2013

I will start off by saying the staff all were very friendly! That is the only positive thing I have to say! The hallways were very run down, and I was wonde3ring why on earth I was staying here all by myself! This was a business rip, so didn't have the option of leaving...My bed was on the same wall as the elevator - needless to say I hardly slept. The room smelled really bad, and the clientele staying there was, lets just say, less than desirable. This play is not the cheapest either, so unless you need a water slide (I don't!!) stay elsewhere!!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
Saskatoon, Canada
Reviewed 8 April 2013

We booked this hotel for our first trip to Edmonton for a couple of reasons..price, location, and because they were accommidating our family without having to rent 2 rooms. When we arrived it looked ok, checked in and then drove around the hotel to the back and started questioning our stay as well as our kids were. The hallways reminded us of a rundown apartment, our door was a wood door that look like someone had used a crowbar on it at one point, room was small, beds were hard as a rock, no cots were available so we wouldn't all have a place to sleep and the hotel was completely booked. My kids sat there looking me with a look of fear that they had to stay there and the 17 and 12 year old said that they didn't want to even leave the room so after a half an hour of checking in...we checked out and went elsewhere! Best decision we ever made...sorry but will never book there again!!

• Stayed April 2013
Scottsdale, AZ
Reviewed 18 March 2013

At first I couldn't believe all the negative reviews, I've never actually stayed at a hotel that had the majority of the stars being one and two. Unfortunately I have to say all the reviews before me are pretty accurate. The only reason our group stayed there was for the waterslide feature, and as previous reviewers have stated, yes, its still freezing cold water so the kids didn't spend much time in it. I asked for a quiet room and got one on the 5th floor overlooking the highway and directly above the two commercial air conditioning units for Denny's that is attached to the hotel. Oh yeah, those babies run 7x24 so there is no quite time at all (btw - if it wasn't for me asking for a quiet room, and getting a 7x24 noisy room, I may have given it a 2 star). The room was simple with thin covers and sheets, a TV from the 80's (it was funny my kids didn't know what it was, they haven't made tube TV's for at least 10 years!), everything was cleaned, except I did find long black hairs behind the bathroom door so that was not pleasant. My daughter also found a long black hair in her pancakes @ Denny's, so at least they are consistent. Ice is only on the first floor, so you have to take the rickety elevator (we usually walked up and down the 5 flights of stairs, thought it was safer). Walls are paper thin, so you can hear people talking, walking etc,, If you want a quiet sleep, bring industrial earplugs. The check-in process is slow, so be prepared to wait. This place must be dirt cheap (but I've stayed in much nicer $106/n rooms), since there are many nice hotels within a block or two (Marriott Courtyard), but no pool. So if your kids need a pool, stay somewhere else (maybe with a free breakfast) and take them to the waterpark at the big mall, that will give them their fill of pool time! Is this the worst hotel I've stayed in? No, there was one I stayed at in rural India that was worse, but this is the hands-down winner of the worst hotel I've stayed at in North/Central/South America.

Room Tip: Stay away from the Denny's side of the hotel
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank TheCriticalTraveller
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 20 February 2013

(Sorry about the late review. The site was down last time I tried to post....)

This hotel is horrible! I wouldn't stay there again if it was free! I have stayed in many hotels in many countries but never had an experience so bad that I would want to warn others.

The room was extremely small! I can honestly say we all felt claustrophobic. Between 2 double beds, a dresser & tables there was almost no room to walk. The closet was a useless 12" space in the farthest corner from the front door tucked in beside the headboard. The bedspreads, sheets and the carpet had stains on them.

The pool was cold, the hot tub had an oily scum floating on it, and the water in the waterslide was ice cold (which made my kids pretty unhappy).

The temperature of the whole building was too cold, including the pool area and the adjoining Smitty's restaurant. We had to wear our coats to stay warm in the restaurant and crank the heat up in our room to stay warm.

In summary, this is an old dingy hotel you should avoid. Even if they clean it up the rooms will still be too small for families. Spend the extra money and stay elsewhere.

Room Tip: Spend the extra money and stay elsewhere.
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled with family