“Do Not Stay Here!”

Travelodge Edmonton West
Ranked #67 of 91 Hotels in Edmonton
Reviewed 3 September 2008

DO NOT STAY HERE unless you don't mind your personal belongings stolen from your luggage! Well, how do I relay how disapointed I am with this hotel? First the room was small, smelly and not as clean as most hotels I've stayed in. I thought that since it was a smoking room that I would let the condition of the room slide. Then after staying in this room that was slightly bigger than a closet, I double checked that I did not leave anything behind and checked out. (thinking my personal belongings inside my suitcase were safe) At my next destination I discovered that my $500.00 iPod touch had sprouted legs and walked out of my suitcase along with a brand new shirt (worth $30.00 plus tax) I had just bought while staying at this hotel. (it makes me wonder what else is missing that I haven't noticed yet) I have tried dealing with the hotel management who say that they are not responsible for any items that go missing from hotel rooms thanks to the Inn Keepers Act. When they proved that the only people who entered my room during my stay were myself and their housekeeping staff. If I could give this hotel a Negative Star review I would! All I can say is Don't stay here and if you do, make sure you check that all your belongings are still in your suitcase before you leave, because good luck getting them back!

• Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank HeresMyReview1

Reviewed 24 August 2008

The pros about this hotel: it was quiet at night, the bedroom appeared to be clean, it's a great location being close to West Edmonton Mall and main roads. The pool has a waterslide (we did not use - we cannot comment otherwise).

The cons - it seemed a little on the dumpy side. It could do with a good paint job, and scrubbing down - especially in the hallways.
Also the elevator seemed to need servicing (we noted that the elevator certificate had expired - I hoped that updated one was in processing).

They need a quick checkout system - so that you can go out in the morning without having to go see the front desk (a minor hassle - I travel a lot and was surprised that this system was not in place for this hotel).

We were not impressed with hotel - it seemed too dumpy. We would not stay here again - there are lots of other hotels in this area that we could have stayed at. We stayed here because of the brand name "Travelodge" but expected better.

Reviewed 20 August 2008

We booked this hotel for 2 nights in advance just because it was a Travelodge. I've stayed in them as a kid and always thought they were great, until this stay.

We were to have two adjoining rooms-one for our family and the other for my in laws. When we checked in that evening our room had not been cleaned at all. We had booked those rooms in advance, they should have known, and the room should have been cleaned. The cleaning staff was all gone for the night so we were given another room down the hall from our family. The A/C was not working in that room and there were no other rooms available, so they fixed it while we went to supper. The next morning, our toilet quit working on us. Maintenance came right away again and fixed it. We requested to be moved back into the original room we were supposed to have as soon as it was cleaned, but had to wait for the room supervisor to check the room to make sure it was cleaned before we moved it. Where were they the day before to check it???

The rooms are in much neeed of renovation. Besides the problems with the A/C and toilet, the shelves in the closet were warped and ready to fall down; rugs very old and dingy looking even though they were just vacuumed; some drawers would not open in the dresser, shelf above the toilet and hook behind bathroom door were barely hanging on the wall; the doors stuck-you had to slam them shut to lock them; the windows only opened 3' for fresh air.

Over all, very dissapointed, and we will never stay there again.

1  Thank saintkColdLake
Reviewed 28 July 2008

I was shocked by the condition this hotel was in. When we first walked in I wondered if there was any point in having reserved a non-smoking room since the overwhelming odor of smoke saturated every surface of the dingy hallways. People loitering in the lobby and staggering drunk down the halls gave the appearance that "accommodation" was not the only industry this hotel was involved in.
I hoped to at least find a clean room but when we opened our door with the key card given to us at the front desk and found the room already occupied, It was enough. We walked out and spent the next hour driving around Edmonton at 1 AM looking for a hotel that had an available room. Our experience with
Travelodge was disgusting and I now advise family and friends to avoid Travelodge Hotels all together. After all we obviously cant rely on the neat and tidy pictures on the website. If that's not false advertising I don't know what is.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank phenelia
Reviewed 25 July 2008

i stayed at this hotel just a couple of weeks and i just dont want to recommend this hotel to the travellers. this hotel isnt safe at all. it is stink, elevator is making a big noise, no hot water and smells smoke all over the hotel. also hotel is very old even its been renovated.... pls dont stay at this hotel !!!!

Stayed: July 2008
Reviewed 1 July 2008

Hotel is very old and run down. Elevator creaked, Carpet was stained, Sink had a crack in it, Sink was partially clogged, Bed was comfortable, pool was a little scuzzy looking, and hotel staff were mediocre at best.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 24 April 2008

Went for a tournament so Edmonton was really booked up. This hotel is not as bad as some of the reviewers make it sound, so I thought I'd add my bit here. It is older, and a bit worn but has newer hallway carpets and some renos. have been done.
The staff were very pleasant, our rooms were clean, beds were new (although double size is kind of short). Our bathroom tap was a bit wonky but still worked.
If you need a microwave & fridge, then ask for it when you book the room; they go fast.
The small conference room was just right size for our group.
The only bad smell was from some 'guest' who insisted in smoking in the back stairwell - thanks from all of us!

If you're looking for luxury, this isn't it, but it was just fine for a place to crash for the night.

Stayed: April 2008