“Awfull!! Do not stay here!!”

Travelodge Edmonton West
Ranked #72 of 93 Hotels in Edmonton
Alberta. Canada
“Awfull!! Do not stay here!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 October 2008

We stayed at this hotel for two nights and it was the worst experience I'ever had at a hotel! I knew as soon as we walked up to the front door that it was a big mistake.. There were very sketchy people outside the door that I am sure were all on drugs. It seemed like there were a lot of drunk people hanging around the lounge and I'm pretty sure that a lot of them actually live at this hotel.. Yuck!! The smell is overwelming and the hotel itself is dirty and very outdated. I wouldn't even let my children take there shoes off in the room because of how dirty it was. Never again will I waste my money on a travelodge.

• Stayed September 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Toronto
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 October 2008

I was given a room that was infested by bedbugs. I stayed in the room the first night. The second night a friend who was an experienced traveler suggested I check for bedbugs. I took the headboard off the wall and saw a disgusting and large number of bedbugs. I went to reception and demanded another room. They were unconcrned and only after loud and continued demands did they give me another room. Three days after staying in this room my bites began to show, well over 100. I have thrown away all my lugage and clothing. Had my laptop cleaned and arrived home with the clothes on my back praying they did not dome with me.

Stayed September 2008
Toronto, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 September 2008

Stayed in room 228 the week of September 08-13, on business & was absolutely horrified. If I were not a new employee with my company, I would have called my travel department & demanded they move me to a new hotel immediately upon arrival!

Hotel & room were very run-down, dirty & old. Ceilings sagged, paint chipping, linens were dirty, window opens only one or two inches, a/c unit was very loud, tv was old, etc...

Front desk staff were rude & short each time I had any dealings with them.

Hallways were full of loud drunks staggering around all evening, every evening. Dirty, poor beggars hung around front of hotel scrounging for cigarette butts in the ashtrays & on ground.

Positive: lots of restaurants in vicinity- Red Lobtser, The Keg, Moxie's + all the fast food brands you could want/ expect. No other positives.

Can't say much else except to urge you to consider ANY other lodging besides this rat trap. Had some meetings at the Best Western hotel directly across street & it seemed much nicer. Also a Hilton Garden Suites & a Comfort Inn close-by. Do yourself a favour & avoid this place at all costs.

• Liked — ood location near restaurants, shopping, West Edmonton Mall
  • Disliked — Dirty hotel & rooms, rude staff, beggars & drifters all around, loud drunks in hallways at night.
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank sensfantoronto
BC
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2008

DO NOT STAY HERE unless you don't mind your personal belongings stolen from your luggage! Well, how do I relay how disapointed I am with this hotel? First the room was small, smelly and not as clean as most hotels I've stayed in. I thought that since it was a smoking room that I would let the condition of the room slide. Then after staying in this room that was slightly bigger than a closet, I double checked that I did not leave anything behind and checked out. (thinking my personal belongings inside my suitcase were safe) At my next destination I discovered that my $500.00 iPod touch had sprouted legs and walked out of my suitcase along with a brand new shirt (worth $30.00 plus tax) I had just bought while staying at this hotel. (it makes me wonder what else is missing that I haven't noticed yet) I have tried dealing with the hotel management who say that they are not responsible for any items that go missing from hotel rooms thanks to the Inn Keepers Act. When they proved that the only people who entered my room during my stay were myself and their housekeeping staff. If I could give this hotel a Negative Star review I would! All I can say is Don't stay here and if you do, make sure you check that all your belongings are still in your suitcase before you leave, because good luck getting them back!

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — My expensive personal items disappeard from my luggage while staying in this hotel.
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank HeresMyReview1
Manitoba
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2008

The pros about this hotel: it was quiet at night, the bedroom appeared to be clean, it's a great location being close to West Edmonton Mall and main roads. The pool has a waterslide (we did not use - we cannot comment otherwise).

The cons - it seemed a little on the dumpy side. It could do with a good paint job, and scrubbing down - especially in the hallways.
Also the elevator seemed to need servicing (we noted that the elevator certificate had expired - I hoped that updated one was in processing).

They need a quick checkout system - so that you can go out in the morning without having to go see the front desk (a minor hassle - I travel a lot and was surprised that this system was not in place for this hotel).

We were not impressed with hotel - it seemed too dumpy. We would not stay here again - there are lots of other hotels in this area that we could have stayed at. We stayed here because of the brand name "Travelodge" but expected better.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Cleanliness, poor first impressions (all entrances seemed to be blocked by construction).
Cold Lake, Alberta
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2008

We booked this hotel for 2 nights in advance just because it was a Travelodge. I've stayed in them as a kid and always thought they were great, until this stay.

We were to have two adjoining rooms-one for our family and the other for my in laws. When we checked in that evening our room had not been cleaned at all. We had booked those rooms in advance, they should have known, and the room should have been cleaned. The cleaning staff was all gone for the night so we were given another room down the hall from our family. The A/C was not working in that room and there were no other rooms available, so they fixed it while we went to supper. The next morning, our toilet quit working on us. Maintenance came right away again and fixed it. We requested to be moved back into the original room we were supposed to have as soon as it was cleaned, but had to wait for the room supervisor to check the room to make sure it was cleaned before we moved it. Where were they the day before to check it???

The rooms are in much neeed of renovation. Besides the problems with the A/C and toilet, the shelves in the closet were warped and ready to fall down; rugs very old and dingy looking even though they were just vacuumed; some drawers would not open in the dresser, shelf above the toilet and hook behind bathroom door were barely hanging on the wall; the doors stuck-you had to slam them shut to lock them; the windows only opened 3' for fresh air.

Over all, very dissapointed, and we will never stay there again.

• Liked — bed comfortable enough, and maintenace came to fix things right away; close to West Ed Mall
  • Disliked — rooms very, very run down; they should have had our room ready for us since we booked ahead
1 Thank saintkColdLake
Saskatchewan
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2008

I was shocked by the condition this hotel was in. When we first walked in I wondered if there was any point in having reserved a non-smoking room since the overwhelming odor of smoke saturated every surface of the dingy hallways. People loitering in the lobby and staggering drunk down the halls gave the appearance that "accommodation" was not the only industry this hotel was involved in.
I hoped to at least find a clean room but when we opened our door with the key card given to us at the front desk and found the room already occupied, It was enough. We walked out and spent the next hour driving around Edmonton at 1 AM looking for a hotel that had an available room. Our experience with
Travelodge was disgusting and I now advise family and friends to avoid Travelodge Hotels all together. After all we obviously cant rely on the neat and tidy pictures on the website. If that's not false advertising I don't know what is.

• Disliked — did not feel safe.
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled with family