“Close to everything!”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Winnipeg, Canada
“Close to everything!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2012

This is a lovely hotel! My friend and I spent two nights at the Westin Edmonton and loved it. From the moment we pulled up and were greeted by the valet to when we left we were impressed by the excellent, friendly staff. Staff were all very friendly (chatting in the elevators and greeting us with genuine smiles) and helpful. We asked for directions and recommendations on eating.

While there we used their electronic concierge as well. This system, set up on 3 ipads, is a very good way to find everything you need and how to get there. The location of the hotel is ideal. It is close to the main business section of town and is walking distance to City Hall, the Art Gallery of Alberta, the Library, City Centre Mall, and a number of restaurants and shops. The transit system in Edmonton is also quite good and we were able to get everywhere we needed to go on public transit. A number of buses stop right outside the hotel and the Light Rail Transit (LRT) has a stop near the hotel as well.

The rooms were very nice. We enjoyed all the luxury I have come to expect from a Westin hotel. The linens were very soft, clean, and fresh. There were plenty of towels in the room and a lovely robe for use during the stay. The beds are very comfortable. The rooms are tastefully decorated in modern neutrals creating an inviting and enjoyable room experience.

While visiting we took advantage of the pool and sauna. There is a full workout room with new equipment. The salt water pool was very nice. It is long enough to swim lengths (although a little irregularly shaped) and the right temperature for swimming or casual playing. The change area and washrooms in the pool area are a touch on the small size, but they have everything you need. Fresh towels are provided by the pool as well as lounge chairs. The sauna is a dry ceder sauna and was very nice after swimming.

The spa attached to the hotel was lovely. The staff was casual friendly and made us feel very welcome. It is not the most up to date spa but they have a full line of services including hair, make-up, and massage. They accommodated our last minute request for a pedicure and massage and we received excellent service.

We did not eat at the restaurant as we found the food prices a little high and the food did not meet our restricted diets. In order to have a drink in our room they had to escort us up with the beverage covered and we were not able to enjoy a glass of wine with our spa services. This was a little disappointing and I would encourage them to expand their liquor license.

Overall we had an excellent stay at The Westin Edmonton. I highly recommend this hotel and I look forward to my next stay. I will not even consider another hotel the next time I am in Edmonton!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (200)
Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2012

Great for business travellers. Simple, easy and great service. The staff is very attentive. Has all the services you would expect of a full service Westin. Location is excellent near great restaurants. The property is modern and up to date. All in all a great choice.

Vancouver, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2012

I'm guessing this was just a bad day for the Westin because wow - talk about a miss for what is usually a great hotel chain!! I should probably start with the positive and note how fantastic the staff are, the team at the front counter, valet and concierge were outstandingly polite and friendly and they deserve full credit for excellence in customer service. As for the property not so much. I could start with the fact that after 3 hrs of trying to get the room to cool down, ultimately the operations people acknowledged that the system doesn't work in the cool mode in April, so the best they could offer was a fan. While a poor climate control system in an older property isn't a deal breaker, throw in a robe with a hole, paint peeling off of a dirty bathroom back splash, cracked and dirty light plates, a pile of cables dumped on the floor by the bed, $30 for parking, $30 for internet access per item (don't bring a laptop, iphone and ipad or you'll be expected to pay $90 a day for wifi if you're using the hotel's system), and a charge if you want an additional coffee pack for your room and the value and experience is a record low for a Westin property. At $200+ a night there are way better and newer options in much lower grade hotels. As a constant business traveler I have to admit this was real surprise as someone has lost the plot here as the costs and experience don't jive.

3 Thank Jedavan
LE_Westin-ExecOffice, Executive Assistant at The Westin Edmonton, responded to this review, 1 May 2012
Dear Jedavan,

Thank you for posting your comments. While I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay, I am sorry to learn that you experienced challenges with our rooms.

April is a shoulder season month and starting our chiller to cool the rooms requires cooperation from mother nature. Until the median temperature stays steady for at least one hour, we cannot start the system. Our engineering team has been working tirelessly, watching the weather and just waiting for the moment that we could activate the system. It is running now. Our apologies that this impacted your stay.

We are still in the planning stages for renovating our rooms. As you can imagine, this is a process that must be done in small stages in order to create the least amount of impact to our guests. The concerns you raise will all be addressed through that process.

If you would like to discuss your concerns with us further, please email us at WestinEdmonton.01079@westin.com

Louise

Travellers are raving about these Edmonton hotels

Ontario
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2012

There is no other place I would choose to stay in Edmonton when I am in the downtown area. This hotel is clean and the employees are very friendly. You always get a smile at the door from the valet/porters and the front desk staff are ready to answer any question you might have. I love love love (!) the beds, their 'heavenly beds' are amazing soft and comfortable. The rooms are spacious and modern (unlike other hotels in the area). The pool and fitness centre are open 24 hours, which is great for travellers who arrive late or wake up early. Another thing I enjoy is daily delivery of the Globe and Mail. And for the environmentally conscious, you can decline room service and get a $5 voucher to use at the hotel for food (one per night). Oh, and the last thing I enjoy is the free bottle of water and the adorable leaf shaped soaps. During my last stay, the guest services manager left me a small thank-you, which meant a lot to me.

My only complaint about this hotel is that they do not have free internet access for guesrs. I would appreciate if they offered at least 1 hour free per day. Other than that, I would recommend this hotel to everyone.

Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2012

Traditionally on a trip back to by hometown, we normally stay with friends or family. However, as our family has grown, we find it harder to stay with our usual bunch of people who offer us a place to stay. Now, family spaces become too small or chaotic to accommodate us, so we decided to try staying in a hotel in downtown Edmonton.

We came across the Westin through a Priceline bid. I can say for certainty that we received more than fair value for the price we paid. An email request in advance to the hotel for a room that had two beds, plus a crib was replied to and accepted within an hour. When we arrived, we decided to valet park the car, and the valet service was courteous and quick. The bellmen were very courteous and prompt, as was the check-in process. The room was clean and spacious. Requests for an extra bath robe and bed rails were brought up quickly.

We will stay here again in the future!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank blkjck5697
Dear blkjck5697,

Thank you for being a guest of The Westin Edmonton and leaving valuable comments on the remarkable service you received during your stay with us. It is only through guest feedback such as yours that we are able to recognize those associates who truly create excellent guest experiences.

I hope the rest of your trip was as delightful and we look forward to the next time you are visiting family. We would love to host you again.

Louise
Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2012 via mobile

Wonderful hotel and location. Very close to city center mall. Nice staff, clean rooms, comfortable stay.

Stayed April 2012
Edmonton
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2012

This was our second stay at the Westin and the staff really outdid themselves. There were a few hiccups from our first stay- with that being said, we did talk to management and they were VERY VERY receptive. From start to finish during our second stay, the staff were extremely accommodating and wanted to make our stay perfect. I was in contact with Nella, Guest Experience Manager, and she helped me plan a perfect stay!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple