“Disappointing for a Westin”

The Westin Edmonton
Ranked #22 of 93 Hotels in Edmonton
GreenLeadersBronze level
Vancouver, Canada
“Disappointing for a Westin”
Reviewed 5 February 2014

As a Starwood Preferred Guest Member I use Westin hotels when I travel and it's usually a good experience. The Westin Edmonton was just OK. The building is getting old and run down, the rooms need updating and the restaurant was just OK. I like to swim after a long day but the pool was ribboned off as out of service, so that was very disappointing.

The staff was good, the rooms were clean, but nothing about the experience was worth the premium you pay for staying at a Westin. Not bad, but average is not good enough.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank BrWayne
nella m, Guest Experience Manager at The Westin Edmonton, responded to this review, 22 February 2014
Dear BRWayne, i am so sorry to hear about your recent experience with us and that you were not able to maintain your routine of wellbeing and not being able to go for a leisurely swim. I am sorry that we did not make you aware of our regular maintenance of the pool area. These are required scheduled maintances, and we do try to complete them during our slower times. I would like to connect with you and discuss further with you at westinedmonton.01079@westin.com..i look forward to hearing from you...stay well...nella

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (204)
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed 4 February 2014

Even though we live in Edmonton, I booked a room at The Westin, as a treat to celebrate my son's special milestone. We had an afternoon graduation, with a formal dinner in the evening, and with both events at the conference centre, staying downtown was simpler than driving back and forth to the events. From the first phone call to book a room, the royal treatment never stopped. Guest Service Agent Brynn arranged for an early check-in to accommodate our schedule and there must have been a note on our reservation file about our special event because everyone knew and congratulated my son on his achievement. The room was upgraded at no charge, a congrats card along with a bottle of champagne and strawberries dipped in chocolate was put in the room. The room was clean, bright and comfortable, staff were all friendly, but most importantly Brynn and the staff at The Westin treated us like royalty - adding a very special element to our already special day. This customer service was exemplary, and I would not hesitate to choose The Westin again. Thanks to all of you, especially, Brynn, for going the extra mile all the way!!!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Lloydminster, Canada
Reviewed 2 February 2014

I booked a room for a work function Jan 19 - 22 back in early December. Called ahead to the front desk to advise them I would now arrive on the 20th. The guy on the phone assured me he would change it and email me the confirmation. When I arrived Monday to check in my reservation was cancelled because I did not arrive on Sunday and they were going to charge me for it. I discussed with the desk manager but all he could say was we have no rooms available. I told him that I did phone ahead and make the change but they had no record. His interest in trying to correct the issue didn't seem too important to him. I asked him to investigate it and call me but that never happened.
I travel and stay in hotels in numerous cities and for the price I paid at the Westin and poor response to correct their mistake I am not impressed. For a downtown Edmonton hotel I expected better.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Dear deanK, thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. I am sorry to hear that your request to change arrival date was not completed. I would welcome the opportuntiy to discuss with you further at westinedmonton.01079@westin.com...for a better you...nella

Travellers are raving about these Edmonton hotels

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 27 January 2014 via mobile

I stayed here for business in November 2013. I enjoyed my time here. The rooms were clean and had robes and slippers. Beds were comfy, the heater worked great, and the WIFI was fast.

Very clean and comfortable. Glad I stayed here!

• Stayed November 2013
Joumana G, General Manager at The Westin Edmonton, responded to this review, 7 February 2014
Dear Collin K,

Thank you for posting your comments. I am very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay. We look forward to welcoming you back for your next visit.

For a better you,
Joumana
Canada
Reviewed 13 January 2014

We stayed here from January 6-9 for a conference. Check-in was smooth, and we were happy our room was ready when we checked in around noon.

We were given a SPG floor (18), but I wasn't aware of any perks of this.

You had to insert your card to access any guest room floor from the elevator, which was a nice safety feature (especially because there are lots of homeless/beggars in front of the hotel), but a gigantic pain in the butt when staying on the 18th floor. Get in a crowded elevator, and I have to make my way over to one side just to insert my card to get to the floor. Elevators were very slow, and on the first night we were there the first elevator got stuck on the 7th floor more than once. We stopped at the front desk to let them know, and for our inconvenience they removed our bar tab from the bill. Which is the service I expect from the Westin - though, that courtesy was not expected (I hope that makes sense).

Our room was nice, but we were given two double beds instead of one king (as reserved), but did not want to drag all of our luggage to another room, so just kept this one. The first thing I noticed was how filthy the windows were. Hand prints galore - and sticky hand prints none the less. The room itself was clean. The beds, and bathroom were clean, but all those places that aren't in your direct view - very dirty. The back of the door, again, very dirty. Looked like someone had sneezed on the back of it. Several times.

We didn't get our room cleaned the first night (there's a $5 incentive included in that), but the second day we did...except the garbage wasn't removed from the room (empty pop bottle and a few water bottles). If it wasn't in the trash can, it wasn't removed. Maybe that's a policy? I'm not too sure, but had never experienced that before.

I was not impressed with any of the food at the conference, nor room service.

The service here was exceptional though. But as for the rest of the hotel - for over $200/nt I'm really not sure I'd be back. I also did not feel safe outside of the hotel by myself (even on hotel property). The first day we were there, a gentleman (who definitely didn't appear to be a hotel guest) was sleeping in the lobby in a chair (facing the escalator), and 7 hours later, he was still there. A bit concerning, but I guess he was harmless. Maybe it was bad while we were there because the Pittsburgh Penguins were in town, staying at this hotel. But even a few blocks from the hotel we were approached by beggars - so I'm guessing a larger part of it has to do with the area.

The other thing I was not impressed with was no free wifi. If a Motel 6 can offer free wifi, why can't the Westin...? Wasn't very friendly for business folk. Which I imagine they get a fair amount of.

Lloydminster, Canada
Reviewed 12 January 2014

I stayed at the Westin because of a conference. The hotel is very clean and the front desk check in was the best I have ever seen! Super friendly, well prepared and happy to upgrade me to a King Room. The room was really nice, great bed and linens and an amazing view!

The downside. Parking is very expensive! WOW! I found the food to be really awful and the service in the restaurant very slow. I was surprised for a hotel that charges 200 plus a night that the food was not better!

Room Tip: Ask for a king room on a higher floor.
Dear RodeoFoto,

I am pleased to hear that you had a good experience with your checkin and that the room was to your liking. It disappoints me to hear that your experience was marred by the quality and service in our restaurant. Our team takes pride in delivering exception service so I will work with my team to ensure we elevate our game.

Should you wish to discuss your experience further to help us understand how we disappointed you, email me at WestinEdmonton.01079@westin.com.

Be Well,
Joumana
Unity, Canada
Reviewed 9 January 2014

This is a very nice hotel in the heart of downtown. The rooms are spacious and clean. The staff bent over backwards to make sure my family's stay was exceptional. My only grumble, was the cost of parking was a little steep at $20 for self and $26 for valet.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family