“Close to where I needed to be”

The Westin Edmonton
Ranked #17 of 91 Hotels in Edmonton
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 16 June 2014

Very conveniently locate downtown. Most of the stay was fine, room was adequate, but would have preferred a view of something other than the opposite tower, but did not ask for a change as I did not plan to spend much time in the room. As with most Westin's anything extra is pricy ($14.00 to have a beer delivered to my room - delivery, tip and taxes on the bill) but there are plenty of other choices if you prefer (I was being lazy). The room was spacious for one person (in fact we had cocktails for six in the identical room on a different floor) the bed was comfortable, and the atmosphere peaceful. I was on business and this was where I was booked, but often the price drives me to seek other accommodations. but I am by no means disappointed nor did I expect this to be a "bargain" accommodation as their reputation is well-deserved. If I could change anything it would be to have a fridge that actually worked, as opposed to a cooler (per the label) that did not, if I were going to be there for any length of time and the fact that they are still charging for Wi-Fi when most other chains (high and low) are no longer doing so would have helped to make the pricing a little easier to accept. As mentioned earlier, dining here is not for the faint of heart as far as the pocket book is concerned as $26.00 + tip & taxes for a full hot breakfast, made me look elsewhere for sustenance. It is inconvenient having to use your room key to select your floor everytime you use the elevator, but it does provide extra security. The staff was excellent, very friendly and helpful, as well as quick to respond to any request either face to face or by phone.

Room Tip: ask for a room with a view unless you don't mind looking at the opposite tower. There is a view...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
WestinMelissa, Guest Relations Manager at The Westin Edmonton, responded to this reviewResponded 19 June 2014

Dear travlinclan,
Thank you for taking the time to write out your comments regarding your recent stay at the Westin Edmonton. I would like to send your comments on to the right departments to look after your fridge, would you mind sending me your room number to me by email westinedmonton.01079@westin.com. Thank you again and if there is anything I can do to make your next stay with us better please connect with me at the above email address. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Melissa

Write a ReviewReviews (1,324)

Reviewed 15 June 2014

We stayed at this overpriced, small roomed, marginally furnished hotel due to a large event that was hosted at the facility.
Due to a last minute family addition, I called their only supplied phone number to request a slight room change. The barely English speaking person on the other end of the line told me the hotel was fully booked so could not accommodate my request, but she finally gave me the direct line to the hotel. The hotel easily accommodated my request.
After a lengthy check in process (the expected large group was checking in but only one of the four check in stations was in use.) I was directed to the underground parking ($29) which when I drove around to it, was full. Back to the lobby where I was then directed to an open public parking lot. There I was greeted by the scariest looking homeless person I have seen in some time.
The room was small, the supplies were for 1 person (shampoo etc) or two (morning coffee) when we had specifically requested a room for three. The shower was tepid at best, and there was no bathroom fan so everything was damp and odorous.
There was a significant charge for internet!
But the beds were comfortable and the staff was friendly.
Poor value.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family

Dear Conrad N,
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay. Comments like yours really help us to know where our oppertunities are. I am so sorry your expectations of us were not met. Please connect with me at westinedmonton.01079@westin.com to see if there is anything we can do to make your next stay with us more enjoyable.

Reviewed 9 June 2014

I stayed at the Westin Edmonton for business for 2 nights recently. I was able to get a high floor with a good view. This Westin property is located in a great location downtown with easy walking access to several downtown restaurants and businesses. It's also very close to the riverfront and the concierge will provide a walking/jogging route for those looking to get some outdoor exercises along the river. Warning for the uninitiated: the steps up/down to the riverfront are killer!

The in-house restaurant was quite good and the breakfast buffet was decent as well. If you're looking to stay central to the downtown business district, this is a great spot.

Room Tip: Choose a high floor with a river view.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Sojoerner
WestinMelissa, Guest Relations Manager at The Westin Edmonton, responded to this reviewResponded 11 June 2014

Dear Sojoerner,
Thank you so much for your great comments. I am so glad you enjoyed the location of the hotel as much as I do. The river valley is a wonderful feature of our downtown location, but yes, beware the stairs. We hope to welcome you back again soon.
Melissa

Reviewed 7 June 2014

We were celebrating our anniversary and asked for a room with a king sized bed. When we arrived, they wished us a happy anniversary and were totally surprised with a top floor room with a river valley view!!!! Thank you so much! We would definitely stay again and highly recommend this hotel!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
WestinMelissa, Guest Relations Manager at The Westin Edmonton, responded to this reviewResponded 10 June 2014

Dear Cordelia27,
Thank you so much for taking the time to write out your comments. I am thrilled that we were able to make your stay so special. Happy Anniversary.

Reviewed 3 June 2014

We were looking for a family friendly hotel with an indoor pool. When we checked in, we expected to find a crip for our toddler but instead found she had a rollaway bed. She was happy to have her own mini-bed and it was far more comfortable than any crib. The staff were professional and extraordinarily friendly. They even offered us complimentary fresh fruit or cookies and milk before our daughter's bed time. We all enjoyed our stay here and took advantage of the indoor pool.

We had fantastic views of downtown and found we were just a short walk to a number of restaurants on Jasper Ave, Edmonton City Centre and a large mall. I even snuck away for a couple pints on my own at Craft which is a 30 second walk from the hotel. Would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: I'd definitely recommend upgrading to the king bed, great value.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family

Dear RobWHughes,
Thank you so much for your comments and the pictures you posted. I am so glad we could make your family stay in our hotel memorable. We hope to welcome you and your family back again soon.

Reviewed 2 June 2014

Fantastic service from the valet to the guy in the gift shop! Decided to stay over in Edmonton last minute and struggled to find rooms as there were a lot of sporting provincials going on that weekend. Finally was able to book into the Westin and was very glad that is were I ended up!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo

Dear sanaly,
Thank you so much for taking the time for comments; we love hearing from our guests. I am also very glad this is where you ended up and hope to welcome you back again soon for another "best sleep ever!"

Reviewed 31 May 2014

Stayed at Westin Edmonton for a scientific conference. It's about half an hour far from the international airport. By the way sky shuttle is the best option to get to the hotel, booked a round trip through the net and they were perfectly on time for pickups. Check-in was very smooth and even though we were much earlier than scheduled check-in on our reservation card. Staff is really friendly and very helpful. The rooms are really clean and comfortable and well maintained. They borrowed us umbrellas as it was really rainy throughout our stay. Food, coffee and drinks are fabulous. The only slightly negative point is that compared to other Westins it doesn't have nice lobby area where you can sit and relax or watch a hockey game. But overall everything was amazing, will definitely be our first choice in Edmonton!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Pino49
WestinMelissa, Guest Relations Manager at The Westin Edmonton, responded to this reviewResponded 3 June 2014

Dear Pino49,

Thank you very much for your glowing praise. I have shared your comments, as the team really enjoys hearing how our daily focus on our guests has a positive affect. Sorry we could not do anything about the rain. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.