“Pretty disappointed”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Dominican Republic
“Pretty disappointed”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2014

It started very good. The front desk officer offered me for free the internet in my room (Told me: “because I am a nice guy”). Nevertheless, when I received the invoice, internet has been charged. So, I explained at the Front Desk that someone from the staff granted me the internet for free and they removed the charge from the bill. But obviously this made me feel very uncomfortable. You better don’t offer something free to your client if afterwards you’re not able to fulfill.
During dinner in the Lobby restaurant around 7:30pm, there were three workers removing the carpet just beside the restaurant. This kind of work should definitely not be done during dinner time! There were no noise but certainly dust in the air and it smelt not very good……
Same evening I changed US$ 200 at the Front Desk. Just now I realized that I only received CA$ 180 (my fault not having realized it before) which really doesn’t makes sense since quite a long time the Canadian Dollar is less worth than the US$. I do understand that the hotel charges some commission but not in this way (almost CA$ 40 of commission)! But even worth is that Front Desk Officer did not inform about this unusual practice before he gave me the money. After having returned home I called the hotel in order to clarify if the issue with the change rate was an error or not, but somebody from Guest Service did confirm that the rate was correct. Nevertheless there was no intention to resolve this problem in spite of having expressed clearly my disagreement.
So, this stay was pretty disappointing especially taking into account that the hotel belongs to Starwood Hotels & Resorts and they charge a room rate of almost 350 dollars! For this rate and especially for a Starwood Hotel I do expect a better service!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Pablo M
WestinMelissa, Guest Relations Manager at The Westin Edmonton, responded to this review, 27 August 2014
Dear Pablo M,
I am so sorry to hear your experience was disappointing. I have forwarded your comments and concerns to the Front Office Manager to help investigate what went wrong on your visit. Please connect with me by email westinedmonton.01079@westin.com. Thank you for taking time to review your last experience and I hope to hear from you soon. For a better you. Melissa.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (200)
PEI
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2014

We stayed at the Westin on our first night in Edmonton. It was easy to find after taking the bus/LRT in from the airport. Our room was large and clean. This hotel is in a great location, we walked around quite a bit exploring and there was lots close by. Sleep quality was excellent. Staff was friendly and always greeted you with a smile. There was some structural damage to the hotel right before we were there so there seemed to be some construction and dust/garbage on the same floor as the pool and the gym but that didn't ruin the experience for us.

We did use the pool and the gym- the gym was good with lots of equipment. The pool seemed quite dirty and was so chlorinated it bleached some of the color from my bathing suit! We didn't stay in for long as my skin was starting to itch from all the chemicals. The wifi is advertised as paid but when I called down to inquire I'm fairly certain the desk clerk told me we didn't have to pay? We're still unsure as to whether we were billed for it (ha). Overall this was a good hotel for a good price in the heart of Edmonton, and we would stay here again for sure.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
WestinMelissa, Guest Relations Manager at The Westin Edmonton, responded to this review, 21 August 2014
Dear laulau9,
Thank you so much for all the detail in your review of our hotel. I am so glad you were able to enjoy so many of the amenities that our hotel and our location in the heart of downtown have to offer. I would love to connect with you more regarding your experience in our pool, please email me at westinedmonton.01079@westin.com. We look forward to welcome you back again soon. For a better you. Melissa.
Leduc
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2014

Loved the location and the proximity to Edmonton Centre. We loved the Westin and were treated very well from beginning to end. We arrived and were assisted immediately by the valet attendant. Checked in before noon and were treated like honored guests. Our room, on the 18th floor, was wonderful. We spent the rest of the day, shopping, and were so glad to come back to the Westin and just relax, before we went out for supper.
The beds were amazing!
My daughter and I would highly recommend this hotel!

Room Tip: We had a room on the 18th floor with an excellent view of downtown and City Hall. We loved it!
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Ruth K
WestinMelissa, Guest Relations Manager at The Westin Edmonton, responded to this review, 19 August 2014
Sounds like you and your daughter had a wonderful shopping getaway. What fun. We are very glad we were able to play our role in ensure your stay was relaxing after a full day of mall fun. We hope to welcome you and your daughter back again soon. For a better you. Melissa.
Rocky Mountain House, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2014

My husband had his teacher's conference at the Shaw Centre. We stayed here with our dogs and they gave us a doggy bed and bowls. Excellent customer service! The pool and gym were clean. Great location! We were able to walk mostly every where. Definitely staying here again :)

Room Tip: River view!
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Dear Mrs_Tommylicious,
Thank you so much for taking the time to write your review of our hotel. I am so happy you and your dogs were able to enjoy your time here with us. We hope to welcome you all back again soon. For a better you. Melissa.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2014 via mobile

Stayed here over 20 times this year already and by far the best hotel in Edmonton.... Worth every dollar.

Once you arrive you will be greeted with a smile from the valet, then treated like royalty at the front desk.. Amazing

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
WestinMelissa, Guest Relations Manager at The Westin Edmonton, responded to this review, 29 July 2014
Dear David M,
Thank you for your glowing review of your experience at the Westin. We strive to ensure all of our guest leave feeling better then when they came and I am so happy to hear that you have noticed. We hope to welcome you back again soon. For a better you. Melissa.
Calgary, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2014

Stayed here for the first time, in a king room on business in April. Starting from the underground self parking, don't expect anything special. It was dank and dirty. Through a few doors to the single wobbly elevator to the lobby, with limited signage to confirm the correct direction. As a first impression, this was not your typical high Westin class.

Friendly check in staff, process was fairly quick and efficient.

Only 2 operational elevators for the entire hotel, this meant a long, packed and arduous ascent to the guest room.

The room had some new furniture and an efficient layout. The bathroom had no toiletries, so had to call down.

Being the spring, the air conditioning was not activated. Edmonton was under a heat spell and the room was 28 degrees. Was offered a fan along with maintenance to shut off the room's heat. The room cooled to 24, but was still unacceptably high. This was the biggest issue I had with this hotel despite all of the above. I'm told the other hotels in the same class in the area have self contained hvac systems. Be prepared for that.

+ Brand new bed. Extremely clean room.
+ Great views of the downtown.

- High elevator to room ratio, be prepared to wait and get to know the other hotel patrons really well.
- Astronomical pricing for what you get.
- Poor gym facilities. Some free weights and machines. Room is too small and gets too packed.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank RobS2011
Dear RobS2011,
Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent experience at the Westin. I am sorry to hear that it was not the kind of experience you were expecting. I would like to connect more with you and your stay please email me at westinedmonton.01079@westin.com. Thank you for your loyalty to the Westin brand. For a better you. Melissa.
Nashville, Tennessee
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2014

I was SO looking forward to staying in this hotel after being in a tent for a week, camping in BC. I envisioned a nice hot bath, a cool air conditioned room with a comfortable bed and all of the nice amenities you'd expect from a Westin property. But this property made my heart sink. It desperately needs a renovation. The air conditioner did not work, the tub was awful, NO WAY would anyone take a bath in it, and the furniture in the room was beat up. Internet? another $9 a day. Parking? Another $29 a day. I went down to talk with the manager, and she offered me a fruit tray to cheer me up. I thought that was nice, but IT NEVER SHOWED UP. If Westin has any interest in keeping its brand reputable, they better get over here quick and start fixing things. Shut this place down, and FIX IT.

Room Tip: Just don't come here, it's not worth it.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
4 Thank chefdixie
WestinMelissa, Guest Relations Manager at The Westin Edmonton, responded to this review, 26 July 2014
Dear chefdixie,
Thank you for taking the time to reach out to us regarding your recent Westin Edmonton stay. I am sorry that your stay did not meet your customer service expectations - customer service that I know that we are capable of. We are heading into a hotel refreshing, in which our deluxe rooms are being completely renovated. Other areas of the hotel are also being refreshed in the process. Please connect with me by email at westinedmonton.01079@westin.com.

Travellers are raving about these Edmonton hotels