“Best Hotel in South Edmonton by far...”

Hampton Inn by Hilton Edmonton/South
Ranked #13 of 93 Hotels in Edmonton
Reviewed 16 February 2012

This is a great property for business travel or a family break. It's a relatively new property and has large exceptionally clean rooms and well appointed rooms. They have a decent eating area and pretty decent continental breakfast and for those of you on the go, they provide a brown bag breakfast service for free so you can grab your breakfast as you head out the door (Fruit, muffin, yogurt, juice). They usually have fresh cookies at the front counter so along with excellent service, you'll also get a quick chocolate fix and the pool and hot tub are also immaculate and are a great place to relax. The only downside to this hotel is the area - as it's on the far south edge of Edmonton and apart from a few other hotels, there's nothing around to do so a car is a must.

Room Tip: Try to avoid being put on the first floor facing the parking lot or you'll have car headlights a...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Jedavan
Farid J, General Manager at Hampton Inn by Hilton Edmonton/South, responded to this reviewResponded 16 February 2012

Dear Valued Guest:

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on trip advisor. I am glad to see that you enjoyed your stay with us during your visit to the city and the hotel.

We certainly appreciate your comments and we at the Hampton Inn by Hilton Edmonton South certainly do take pride to ensure all of our valued guests like yourself are well looked after home away from home.

On behalf of the entire team here at the Hampton, we thank you for your business and look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel.

Reviewed 12 February 2012

Stayed at the Hampton Edmonton South for two nights and was very impressed. The entire hotel from the rooms to the public areas was spotless. The staff was very friendly and helpfull. The hot breakfast buffet was perfect to start the day.We got an internet rate of $95 on the Hampton website( very good value). Would definitely stay at this hotel again when in Edmonton.

Room Tip: Rooms on west side may be quieter (train tracks on east side of hotel)
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank BeanDad
Farid J, General Manager at Hampton Inn by Hilton Edmonton/South, responded to this reviewResponded 13 February 2012

Dear Value Guest:

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on trip advisor. I am glad to see that you enjoyed your stay with us and appreciated the cleanliness of the hotel.

We certainly take pride to ensure our product and amenities are kept clean and well maintained.

On behalf of the entire team here at the hotel, we thank you for your business and look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel.

Reviewed 16 January 2012

We stayed here overnight on a stop in Edmonton. The hotel is brand new so everything is sparkling clean and tidy. The hotel is very well appointed with some nice touches like tiled entryway's into the rooms. We found the beds very comfortable and having a frig and a microwave would have been handy if staying longer. Breakfast in the morning was served in a bright airy room and was more than sufficient with fresh fruit, waffles, sausages, egg, bagels, cereals, yogurt etc (much more than the standard continental fare). Although I didn't use the pool we did check it out and the water seemed to be heated and warm. The only downside of this hotel would be the lack of a restaurant on-site or nearby. I enjoy having one close after a long trip, but to be fair they did provide quite a few delivery menu's in the hotel binder. We have tried (and really enjoyed) Cosmos Pizza & Donair (not sure if it's in the binder) who will deliver to most hotels in the South Edmonton area.

Since there seems to be a couple new hotels here (the Best Western is another choice) there are a few other options if you need to stay on the south side of town. We haven't stayed at any of these other properties and normally go to the Radisson Edmonton South but wouldn't hesitate to return to the Hampton. The hotel is very convenient to South Edmonton Common (only a few minutes) and the airport would be a quick drive. It would be a little far for activities downtown or on the north end of town though.

Overall a very enjoyable stay!

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sinoed
Farid J, General Manager at Hampton Inn by Hilton Edmonton/South, responded to this reviewResponded 17 January 2012

Dear Value Guest:

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on trip advisor. I am glad to see that you enjoyed your stay with us.

Thank you for the feedback regarding your recent stay at the hotel. We have know added microwave & fridges to our guestrooms as well as we have a White Spot restaurant opening in a few months which will be a nice addition to the hotel.

Reviewed 9 January 2012

We only stayed one night at this hotel,but appreciated all the amenities it had. It is a new hotel. The rooms were nicely appointed and the beds were very comfortable. We appreciated the free breakfast - which included waffles, eggs, sausages and hash browns. We were able to book a $89 rate through the Hampton website. The only downside was the staff, I would only rate them as average.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank superbeetlesrule
Farid J, General Manager at Hampton Inn by Hilton Edmonton/South, responded to this reviewResponded 12 January 2012

Dear Value Guest:

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on your trip advisor. I am glad to see that you enjoyed your stay with us and certainly do appreciate the feedback.

I would be happy to discuss your feedback in more detail at your earliest convenience in order for myself to address the issue.

On behalf of the entire team at the hotel, we thank you for your business and look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel.

Reviewed 29 December 2011

My family and I chose a spur of the moment trip to Edmonton during Christmas holidays and I was looking for an affordable hotel for our two night stay. We usually stay at the Sandman Signature next door but the price was putting me off as well as the fact that their room size is quite small.

I looked online at the Hampton website and found their 2 Queen room for $89 (AMA weekday rate) which included a hot breakfast. Willing to try something new in order to save a few dollars ($30 cheaper than the neighbour that does not even include breakfast) I made the reservation.

This hotel is very convenient to South Edmonton Common shopping area which was the purpose of our trip (Ikea, Outlet Stores, Restaurants, Cineplex all in this location) and easy to get to off the Anthony Henday or Gateway Blvd.

Upon our arrival we were checked in promptly. Our room was on the third floor and we found it to be VERY quiet. The hotel did not seem very busy so that could have attributed to the lack of noise...or with our two young sons perhaps we were just the loudest ones! :) There is plenty of space within the room to manuever around the beds even with bags of shopping goodies littering the perimeter!

The room had a suitcase stand, dresser with 32" flat screen TV, long ottoman (good for another suitcase or to stack more bags of Boxing week shopping!) desk, desk chair, arm chair, small cube fridge, microwave and a portable lap top tray. The desk has corded as well as wireless internet (the quality of their service I cannot comment on as we did not bring our laptop on this trip).

The beds were a bit firm but not enough to affect our sleep. The duvet is a nice alternative to the typical yucky hotel bedspreads I'm always afraid to touch. The bathroom is spacious and very clean. A small single cup coffee maker as well as blow dryer are also located in the bathroom. Nice size and clean tub/tiles with curved shower rod for extra room with a water saver shower head that has wonderful pressure! No problem rinsing shampoo in this hotel shower!

My children swam in the hotel pool. The pool and hot tub were wonderfully clean. No tube slide like the Best Western we could see from our room window but the kids still had fun and I appreciated the cleanliness of the facility.

The complimentary hot breakfast was great. I wasn't expecting anything gourmet (so anyone who rates a complimentary hot hotel breakfast complaining about how the scrambled eggs were powdered eggs....HELLO....who cares!) Each morning included a variety of juices, coffee, milk, yogurt, dry cereal, oatmeal packages, fruit salad, bagels, bread/toast, muffins, bagels, english muffins, and a make it yourself waffles (kids LOVED these!) The other hot breakfast items were different each morning, the first was scrambled eggs, french toast sticks and small sausage links. Like I said, not gourmet, but it was free and the kids ate until they were stuffed and didn't need to eat until lunch. The next morning was small cheese omlettes and sausage patties. Even a cheap breakfast at McDonald's costs our family $25 so I figure the hot breakfast saves us at least that much for each night we stay which makes the inexpensive nightly rate we paid seem EVEN cheaper!

This hotel is new, clean, spacious and in a convenient location. The service we received was excellent and we will definitely stay there on our next trip to the city. I will recommend this hotel to family and friends.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
Farid J, General Manager at Hampton Inn by Hilton Edmonton/South, responded to this reviewResponded 11 January 2012

Dear Value Guest:

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on trip advisor. I am glad to see that you have enjoyed your stay with us and enjoyed the facilities and amenities the hotel has to offer.

On behalf of the staff and management at the hotel, we thank you for your business and we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel.

Reviewed 24 December 2011

Stayed here during a recent business trip on the recommendation of a friend, and am looking forward to returning. The property is less than a year old as of this review, and in spite of being very modern and well appointed, its new manager is already talking about improvements he'd like to make!

So what should you expect at the Hampton Inn by Hilton Edmonton/South? Read on...

Location: Very convenient for the business traveler. You can see it from Hwy 2 - it's just off the Ellerslie exit about 10 minutes north of YEG (Edmonton International), in a cluster of new hotels that include a Sandman, Best Western and a Four Points by Sheraton that is scheduled to open in the spring of 2012. A few minutes down Ellerslie is a variety of shopping and dining. Check out The Market at Summerside, which has a SaveOn Foods, brew pub,Shopper's Drug Mart, coffee shop, liquor store, and several restaurants, among more. The pho at Mini Mango there is excellent. For big box shopping you can go 6 - 7 minutes north on Hwy 2 to the huge South Edmonton Common shopping complex where you'll find several other chain restaurants.

Arrival & check in: This is a business class hotel in an area with lots of construction. Don't expect to be wowed by lush gardens or fancy landscaping, because there is none. The building itself is just a big box. All of this was okay for me, because it was on the inside that the Hampton Inn shined. The lobby is spacious and - for some odd reason - unfurnished. It looks a bit spartan. The desk staff were great - I asked about the amenities and was given a complete tour of the property! The breakfast area just off the lobby has a long counter-height table down the middle, flanked by conventional seating on either side. The counter-height table also had electrical outlets for laptop plug-in - a great feature I'd love to see at other hotels. A wall of tall windows provides lots of natural lighting here, supplemented by LED accent lighting. Electrically, this is a very green property.

The Rooms: Mine was an upgraded business suite and - for work purposes - the nicest I've stayed in. It was spacious, with a sofa, a small kitchen area that featured a bar sink, microwave and mini fridge, and excellent double-sided desk/work area with a large work surface, a guest chair and a flatscreen TV. The bathroom, by contrast, was a bit small - but it did have a regular portable blow dryer that you could take out to the full length mirror in the main room if you need the space. The closet scored points for having real hangers, not the silly anti-theft ones. The Hampton is one of the few places you can stay and not feel as though they think of you as a potential criminal. The wi-fi in and out of the room was fast and stable.

The bed and pillows were very comfortable and the room was very quiet. I slept like a baby. The bed even featured a lap-desk.

The Breakfast Bar: A hot continental breakfast is included, and was very complete: fresh fruit, cold & hot cereals, waffles, three hot entrees, muffins, breads, coffee, tea and juices. Without the continental breakfast this Hampton Inn would be a fair value; with the breakfast it's nearly unbeatable. The serving area was quite clean and the staff constantly checked food levels. Unfortunately the breakfast bar only offers disposable utensils, plates and cups, but I am told this will be changed.

Dining: There is no restaurant onsite, but as I mentioned above there are lots of dining options in the neighbourhood. Within walking distance is the Chop Steakhouse or the Rockford Wok Bar & Grill across the street at the Sandman Hotel.

The Pool: I didn't use the pool or hot tub but both looked well maintained. There is no waterslide or similar kid-type features. This is clearly an adult oriented property.

The Fitness Room: One of the best I've seen - on par with some resorts I've stayed in. Two treadmills, two ellipticals, a stationary bike, large dumbbell rack, a cable machine, benches, medicine ball stand, mats and more. All club-grade.

Business Centre: Well lit with two workstations and a shared printer. Handy for printing those boarding passes prior to flying out.

In summary: You really can't go wrong. Nice amenities, great business features, outstanding value, attentive staff. A new General Manager hsd just come on board and he assured me that he'll working hard to make this Hampton Inn even better. I've stayed several times at one of his other properties and I have no doubt that his high standards will be met here as well.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business

Dear Value Guest:

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on trip advisor. I am glad to see that you have enjoyed your stay with us here at the hotel.

As mentioned, I am in the process of making changes based on the feedback from guests like yourself and improving the overall experience for the guest.

We thank you for your business and we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel on your next visit.

Reviewed 19 December 2011

I wanted business accommodation for one night not too far from the airport, and myn Sweetie was with me. This turned out great! It's a fairly new property and I don't think it can be beat for value for price. Highlights included and outstanding staff and a great breakfast. (This is an included breakfast buffet, there is no actual restaruant on site.)

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business

Dear Value Guest:

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on trip advisor. I am glad to see that you enjoyed your stay with us and we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel on your future visits to the city.

On behalf of the entire team at the hotel, we thank you for your business and look forward to welcoming you back.