“Started out good....”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Alberta
“Started out good....”
Reviewed 14 April 2013

I went to Edmonton for the day to watch a sporting event and decided to stay over for the finals the next day.
The woman at the front desk was excellent....really really good.
The room (456) was big and I liked having free Internet.....those are the only positives.
First, it cost more to not have a room facing the grin tracks.
There was some sort of clothing sale going on in the hotel and it was a fight to get to the elevator as the buyers were lined up against the elevator door. And parking was a nightmare! I had to come and go a few times and each time coming back I had to circle the lot a few times till someone left. I even had to park at a business building next door once. I left my room at around 730 pm to take some stuff to my daughter at a restaurant and was so frustrated getting off the elevator and being stuck in the parking lot that I just drove the two hours back home. I left the room with the tv on and the only thing I used was the hand soap.
I spoke with a woman at the desk about the nightmare and was told that it should taper off! The sale was all weekend and went to midnight!
I won't be back and I suggest the hotel take into consideration their guests when they book an event tht will affect them.

Room Tip: Back of the hotel is train tracks, front of hotel is a noisey busy street.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank sanaly
Jessie M, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Conference Ctr Edmonton South, responded to this review, 15 April 2013
Thank you for your comments. It is through feedback that we can learn and make changes to make our guests more comfortable and at home.

Please contact me directly so we can discuss your stay with us further.

Guest Relations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
  • Thai first
Red Deer, Canada
Reviewed 2 April 2013

How this hotel chain is allowed to charge for rooms in the back is beyond me--should be illegal! Our bed shook till at least 1:30 in the morning from trains, so unless you can sleep standing up, you probably won't sleep like the rest of us! Restaurant had no-one in it, but somehow took forever to get our food. Waitress seemed like she was on her first shift as well. When you call to book this hotel, you would think they would warn you about the trains or at least ask if you think it would be a problem for you, not inform you when you are checking in, and there are no other rooms available. Pool was small for a group coming in, and the hot tub was so dirty, some people refused to go in. On top of that, we were blessed with someone pulling the fire alarm on Level 3, which took forever to get turned off! Would never stay here again, way overpriced for what we got!

Room Tip: Make sure you ask to stay on the west side of the hotel!
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
Jessie M, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Conference Ctr Edmonton South, responded to this review, 4 April 2013
Thank you for your comments. We appreciate your feedback. Please contact me directly so we discuss further.
Sincerely
Jessie M.
Guest Relations Manager.

Travellers are raving about these Edmonton hotels

Bonnyville, Canada
Reviewed 1 April 2013

I stayed there for 2 nights. Upon arriving, the front desk staff was quick to greet and friendly. Check-in was fast and easy. The room was neat and clean. The room was obviously more for someone on business trip. The phone was located on the desk and far from bed/bed stand which makes it a slight inconvenience for leisure traveler like myself who would rather not get out of bed to use the phone. You get everything you expect from the hotel; free internet, free tv channels, air conditioning etc. The hotel has other facilities but the only one I used was the pool.

The hotel is conveniently located by major intersection. As far as I was concerned, it was very convenient for me to get to places that I planned to visit during this trip. It was a bit hard to find parking space the first night as we got back late and there was no parking spot left due to snow/water on the ground that shrank the parking lot. Couldn't tell if there was underground parking available.

But if it wasn't because of this one thing and one thing alone, I would have rated this hotel a 4 or a 5 even instead of a 2. And it is the train track on the east side of the hotel where my room was facing. The trains are loud. Extremely loud. It is extremely annoying. On several occasions, the trains passing by actually caused the room window to vibrate. It was the worst thing you can expect at a hotel. The uncertain intervals of train coming and stop you from relaxing is not what you want on a trip, business or leisure. I don't know if putting sound proof barriers cost too much or wouldn't help with the situation at all. But I think the hotel should at least consider sound proofing the east side rooms better or bad reviews are basically unavoidable.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
Thank you for informing us of your comments. Your feedback is important to us.
Our brand standard is to have two phones in each room.

Due to technical difficulties, the cordless phone which stays by the bedside was under repair.

We would love for you to come back and stay in our Westside rooms which are away from the train tracks.

Jessie Moyo,
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 4 March 2013

We were in Edmonton for 2 nights and quite enjoyed our stay. We were totally prepared for the "noisy trains" which I was surprised to discover, they weren't that bad! Never really noticed them to be honest. I was surprised with a lot of the negative comments with regards to the noise, if you read through the last 20+ comments about the trains, then why bother stay here? The room was very clean and comfortable and the only negatives really were the fact that only one elevator was ever in use ( to the 6th floor) and with a hotel full of sport teams, it took awhile to get up and down. Also, the pool was a bit small and there were no towels available, despite the fact that we called the front desk first and were assured there was a supply of towels available. With the ABC restaurant and and a pub as well, parking was extremely limited. We were never informed about the fact that underground parking was available for a fee. Of course, reading the comments regarding the ABC restaurant, we did avoid it all together. There are plenty of other restaurants nearby. All in all, we would stay here again :)

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank km100503
Jessie M, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Conference Ctr Edmonton South, responded to this review, 5 March 2013
We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback regarding your stay with us. We give the utmost importance to our guest comments as they help us improve, and continually provide the best guest experience possible. Thank you for informing us about the reviews on the ABC restaurant. Rest assured we will look into this. If there is anything you need next time you stay with us, please do not hesitate to contact the Manager on Duty.

ON, Canada
Reviewed 25 February 2013

On a trip to see a friend who lives about three hours north of Edmonton, I decided that we should spent a night in Edmonton before embarking for her residence. A quick Google search led me to the Holiday Inn and Conference Ctr in Edmonton.

Our stay there was impeccable! From the way we were greeted; the room was better than anything I have ever had; the bed was comfortable. Our whole experience left us wanting to go back there.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Gwen S
Jessie M, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Conference Ctr Edmonton South, responded to this review, 27 February 2013
Thank you for your comments. We appreciate your feedback. We are happy you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to having you stay with us again. We are very proud of our staff and the effort they put into making our guests feel at home and welcome.
Calgary
Reviewed 16 February 2013

This stay was awful!
Upon entering the suite, I wondered why they would have complimentary ear plugs on the night table...
The train tracks are right outside the suite!
It reminded me of one of those movies where people live right next to the subway in New York, and the whole place shakes when the train goes by. it was funny at the time. Needless to say, lots of noise and vibration, all afternoon and all night. What a disappointment, prepaid through Hotwire, asked for a room on the West side upon arrival, because I had read on this site that suggestion, but I didn't really know why. Well, I found out then. The whole East side of the Hotel backs onto the train tracks. I couldn't get them to change me to the West, they said that Hotwire books the cheaper suites, that are on the East.
Anyway, you can imagine, my family very disappointed, and they made me suffer even more, what a nightmare.
The rest was OK, small pool, parking underground is available but costs extra. I was happy to get out the next day.
I definitely won't go back and can't recommend this Hotel, unless there were no other choice.

Room Tip: If you have to stay here, only on the West side.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
Jessie M, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Conference Ctr Edmonton South, responded to this review, 19 February 2013
Thank you for informing us of your comments.

Without comments from our guests, we cannot strive to improve in the hospitality industry.

I would like to like to take this opportunity to ask if you could contact myself directly, so that we can go into more detail of your stay with us, and invite you back in the future.

Regards,
JessieM.
Regina, Canada
Reviewed 15 November 2012 via mobile

Although I'd read the reviews and was prepared for the location, the noise from the neighbouring rail road tracks interrupted our sleep all three nights we stayed. Earplugs could not dampen the ground shaking racket.
Actually a well-located hotel, that has great amenities and a comfortable atmosphere.
Just get a room on the west slide of the hotel!

• Stayed November 2012
1 Thank Meegs_RT
GreenwoodEdmonton, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Conference Ctr Edmonton South, responded to this review, 6 December 2012
Thank you for your comments. Your feedback is important to us.

We have taken note of your preference and will ensure that you are booked in a Westside room on all your future stays with us.

Guest Relations Manager