“Worst Hotel Experience Ever.”

Edmonton Inn and Conference Centre
Ranked #80 of 93 Hotels in Edmonton
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 21 February 2010

I was in town on my own as i had a appointment to deal with. My husband and I travel quite often, and this was the worst experience ever for me.
I was even in Las Vegas last month and my room was a few dollars cheaper and lot better room.
First problem was i have my reservations sheet i printed from the internet, on the bottom of the paper it said any required deposit will be charged to my credit card in advance of my arrival or it will not be charged until i check out. So after my appt, i went shopping, then went to my room.
I get to the front desk oh you don't have enough on your credit card, we need to charge a deposit of 75.00 on top of your first night stay, well i had hardly any money as my pay was in the bank next morning, but wasn't worried about it because i wasn't informed before about 75.00 plus my first night stay. So to suffice i had to drain the rest of the money i had in the bank to pay for my first night plus deposit, i hadn't ate supper so couldn't now because they misinformed me. Then to find out when i checked out is when they actually took it off my credit card, so why couldnt they be happy with just my damage deposit that night? That was my first big problem. I have been to lots of hotels and never needed a damage deposit.

So anyway, get to my room, the tv is very small can hardly even see it. The bed doesn't hardly have any proper bedding on it. Two sheets and a little blanket.

I have read lots of comments of hotels on all my trips, but when i read negative ones, i try to think positive and book that hotel as i did for the one in Las Vegas, hearing it was really bad service, but went ahead and stayed anyway and that time it worked out. Also just to check out they only have one clerk on, had to wait 10 minutes.

But anyway, wouldn't ever stay here again.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank Lindamich
Manager2009, Hotel Manager at Edmonton Inn and Conference Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 1 March 2010

I would like to thank-you for your review of our hotel, this is the best way for us to improve. It is our standard to have either a pre authorized credit card on file or do require a deposit on our guest rooms, I will certainly look into our verbiage and communication at our desk to ensure we are giving guests accurate and clear requirements. I do apologize that the television in the room did not meet your standards; we are currently looking at upgrading our televisions. Triple sheeting is a Ramada initiative to ensure all the bedding in the room is cleaned after every stay; we do offer additional blankets on request. I want to sincerely apologize that you did not enjoy your stay and would welcome the opportunity to show you our hospitality in the future.

Best wishes,

Hotel Manager

Reviewed 15 February 2010

Like any review, the opinions are relative. I've stayed in the good, the bad and the ugly. This is in between the last two.

Elevators took ten minutes to arrive and not because there were so many people staying there - they aren't programmed to collect people properly. You can hear them whizzing by but they were mostly empty. You can't take the stairs instead because they lead outside. There is no way to take the stairs to your room from the lobby. To make it worse, the staff uses the guest elevator for room service and their cart takes up nearly the entire space.

Restaurant service was slow and the food was tasteless. The attached bar (The Locker Room) is suitably named as it smells of dirty jock straps. I can only guess what I was sitting on when I parked myself at a bar stool. The place has never been properly cleaned.

Reception was friendly but soooooo slow. There was no proper line so it was a free-for-all and if you were behind the slow line, you stayed there.

Nothing has been painted, renovated or upgraded in what seems like 25 years.

It may be good for the location or for the price but it was gross and no amount of showering made me feel comfortable.

The non-digital thermostat was hyper-sensitive. 12 degrees was freezing and 14 was roasting.

Perk - free wi-fi which worked 90% of the time.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled on business

Let me begin by thanking your for your comments about our hotel. Feedback positive or negative helps us improve as an organization and for that I am grateful. I do apologize for the waits for our elevators; we will certainly look at what can be done from our associate usage perspective. With respect to our restaurant, we have recently updated our menus and I am sure you will fine them more than acceptable. The Locker rooms is getting re-upholstered as I write this letter and anticipate it being completed by month end. I do apologize that you did not enjoy your stay and welcome the opportunity to earn your business in the future. If you would like to contact me directly please email me at jsaad@silverbirchhotels.com

Yours Truly,

Hotel Manager

Reviewed 16 December 2009

I recently stayed here at the Ramada Confrence Centre and found the hotel to be very clean with renovated rooms, Large screen television in the room, staff was very friendly, and the food was amazing. The hotel i found was very quiet. I recommend staying here for the price and good service. I was treated very good by all staff, and especially a lady named Lyndsay, that made me feel very welcome and to contact her or the desk if there was anything wrong or i needed. Thanks to all for my wonderful stay at your hotel.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled solo
Manager2009, Director of Operations at Edmonton Inn and Conference Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 28 December 2009

I would like to thank-you for taking the time to write a review of our hotel. I am glad to hear you enjoyed your stay with us; we take great pride in our hotel as well as the level of service we provide all of our guests. Should myself or anyone else on my team be of assistance to you please feel free to contact me at 780-453-7312

Director of Operations

Reviewed 13 November 2009

Excellent Customer Service, very clean rooms and a friendly atmosphere.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 27 October 2009

Stay here if you like but DO NOT take your own vehicle here. While we stayed here our van was vandalized in broad daylight ( 4:00 pm to 5:30pm). Two other vehicles we know of were also vandalized during our four day weekend stay. The security people could not even be bothered to help us with our situation. I guess there little sign stating they are not responsible for anything in their parking lot says it all, because they lived up their billing. I got an email stating they were sorry that we got vandalized. Thanks a lot for nothing. Tell what you are doing to rectify the problem.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled on business
Manager2009, General Manager at Edmonton Inn and Conference Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 11 November 2009

Thank you for your comments about your recent stay. We were disappointed to hear that your van was vandalized in our parking lot. We take the safety and security of our guests very seriously and we have our hotel security conduct regular patrols of our hotel interior and exterior, unfortunately vehicle vandalism and break in is a problem in most major Canadian cities, we work very closely with our local Edmonton police services to ensure that there is adequate police patrols and that we mitigate the occurrences of these incidents throughout our city.We look forward to the opportunity to welcome you again to the Ramada Conference Centre on your next visit to Edmonton.
George Marine,General Manager

Reviewed 11 October 2009

We enjoyed our stay very much and the staff was very friendly.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 5 October 2009

I spent one night at this hotel on a weekend visit to Edmonton. No problems with check in, had booked and received a renovated room. We received 10% off the rate with our entertainment book and paid $99 for the night.

The room was clean and average sized. We could have used a duvet on the bed - there was only a thin blanked sandwiched between two sheets on the bed - but the room was warm enough that it wasn't a problem.

The bathroom was also clean and average. Good hot water and pressure in the shower, however the showerhead was very low. I'm 5'6" and had to bend my knees to fit under.

Overall, the hotel was decent value and good for a one night stay but I wouldn't go out of my way to stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple