“terrible and frightening”

GreenLeadersBronze level
canada
“terrible and frightening”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2010

Absolutely terrible experience. Was only in edmonton for one quick night, therefore thought it didn't really matter where I stayed. I booked this hotel through expedia thinking Ramada had a decent reputation. Boy was I mistaken. The first thing I noticed when walking into the lobby was large groups of loud and frightening looking people. After reading more reviews on this site, I now realize that apparently this hotel is a meeting place for a lot of drug/gang activity, and I definitely believe it. After getting to my room in the north tower, and specifically requesting a non-smoking room, to our dismay the entire hallway smelt like smoke, and the room had a cover of smell for the smoke which ended giving both my partner and I terrible headaches. the room was dirty and the beds looked like the sheets hadn;t even been washed. We were unable to stay and decided to just check out and leave, and accept the money paid for this hotel as wasted. We instead stayed at a beautiful boutique hotel on white ave for basically the same price.

an absolutely terrible hotel which almost ruined our time in edmonton.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
Manager2009, Hotel Manager at Ramada Edmonton Hotel & Conference Centre, responded to this review, 22 April 2010
I certainly apologize for the experience you had in our hotel and was troubled to hear you did not feel safe. We take great pride in our security procedures to ensure guest and associate safety, for example we have professional licensed security from early afternoon right through the night 7 days per week. As we are a conference hotel we from time to time have people enjoying their break time from their meetings in our lobby which may have caused the perception you had upon arrival. Air quality is very important to us and I have asked our Chief engineer to ensure the proper air exchange is occurring as it should based upon your comments, as a company we hire and independent company to conduct air quality audits on a regular basis to ensure we are providing the best environment possible for our guests and associates. I would welcome the opportunity to discuss this matter further with you should you so desire my email address is jsaad@silverbirchhotels.com

Yours truly,

Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
alberta
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2010

My wife and I stayed here for 3 nights for a conference that had approx 300 attendees. The group responsible for the conference signed a 3 year contract with this hotel. Last year's conference was held here.

When we arrived there was one person checking people into the hotel. When we finally received our room it was in the East Tower of the hotel. The website claims that this hotel is recently renovated. I don't think they are done as there were many spots on the wall where the drywall had been patched but left unpainted. When we entered our room, the first thing that stuck out to me were the cigarette burns and miscellaneous stains on the rooms carpet. Upon viewing the rest of the room I noticed that the air conditioner did not work and the room never dropped below 70F despite the thermostat being turned down below 60F. I asked the front desk to send someone to look at it the next morning while my wife and I attended our daily activities. It was not fixed. Also the balcony door did not close completely. While we were staying there the weather was fairly mild( hovering around 0C in the afternoon and dropping to -12C to -15C overnight) If it had been -20C or with a strong wind as is quite common in N. Alberta at this time of year I don't think I would have had a problem with getting the room below 70F. I most likely would have had a problem getting up to 70F.

The pay-per-view movies were advertised as "Still in Theaters" as well as having other movies divided by category(Action/ Comedy/ Etc). The "Still in Theaters" movies were movies that had been released to DVD in the past month or two. All of the movies were way over priced(11.99-12.99) per movie("In theaters or otherwise"). The movie preview channel also advertises "Adult" movies yet there is nowhere to order these movies and I would hate to see how much they charge for them.

In order to get our conference members through breakfast in a timely manner the hotel put together a buffet that we had the option of having in the morning. It cost $12.95 and comprised of bacon, sausage, scrambled eggs, hash browns and french toast. As well as 3 kinds of cold cereal and toast. The buffet also included coffee or juice. I am not sure if I am just cheap but I found $12.95 quite high for the amount of choice on the buffet.

Almost none of the staff smiled and most looked as if there were no place worse on earth that they could be that moment.

During the course of our conference there were three nights with a cash bar. The price that they charged for drinks was very high. They charged us $2.75 for a (approximately) 6oz glass of pop and $5.25 for a 1oz. highball. I recently tended bar for a local club and we were charging $5.25 for 1.5oz high balls made with premium liquors and $.75 for a 6 oz glass of pop.Liquor prices were not negotiated nor set by the Conference but were 100% decided by the hotel.

The only items supplied in the room were soap, shampoo and coffee. While this varies from hotel to hotel I was a little disappointed to find that there was no quick shoe shine kit or small sewing kit or any of the other small amenities often supplied in hotel rooms.

The only things I liked about this hotel were; the 12 noon check out time, the newer 37" flat screen tv in the room(note that these newer televisions were not in the rooms of friends in the North Tower) and the design of the lounge in the center of the lobby.

I will not stay at this hotel again. If next year's conference is here(it most likely will be) I will not be attending.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled on business
Manager2009, Hotel Manager at Ramada Edmonton Hotel & Conference Centre, responded to this review, 1 March 2010
Thank-you for your review of our hotel. I appreciate positive or negative feedback as this becomes a tool we can use to improve. Our hotel did receive approximately $10 million in renovations 21/2 years ago, certainly renovations and maintenance works continues on an ongoing basis to best serve our guests. With regard to the temperate issues I will certainly have maintenance review the east tower thermostats to ensure they are working within acceptable parameters; Our movie service is provided by a third party vendor and we do not control pricing or content, I do know however that the movies they show are still in theaters thus increasing the cost of the movies they provide versus a video rental store that only receives movies that are no longer in the theaters. Our prices whether in the restaurant or banquets are always kept very competitive with all other hotels in our area. I truly feel we offer exceptional value on our buffets and banquet pricing, i apologize if you found them high. We of course do offer Shoe shine kits as well as sewing kits they are available in our business class rooms as well as suites. Should a guest in a standard room request such items we would be happy to deliver them to their guest room. I am glad you enjoyed your television this is part of our renovation project.

Yours Truly,

Cold Lake
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2010

I was in town on my own as i had a appointment to deal with. My husband and I travel quite often, and this was the worst experience ever for me.
I was even in Las Vegas last month and my room was a few dollars cheaper and lot better room.
First problem was i have my reservations sheet i printed from the internet, on the bottom of the paper it said any required deposit will be charged to my credit card in advance of my arrival or it will not be charged until i check out. So after my appt, i went shopping, then went to my room.
I get to the front desk oh you don't have enough on your credit card, we need to charge a deposit of 75.00 on top of your first night stay, well i had hardly any money as my pay was in the bank next morning, but wasn't worried about it because i wasn't informed before about 75.00 plus my first night stay. So to suffice i had to drain the rest of the money i had in the bank to pay for my first night plus deposit, i hadn't ate supper so couldn't now because they misinformed me. Then to find out when i checked out is when they actually took it off my credit card, so why couldnt they be happy with just my damage deposit that night? That was my first big problem. I have been to lots of hotels and never needed a damage deposit.

So anyway, get to my room, the tv is very small can hardly even see it. The bed doesn't hardly have any proper bedding on it. Two sheets and a little blanket.

I have read lots of comments of hotels on all my trips, but when i read negative ones, i try to think positive and book that hotel as i did for the one in Las Vegas, hearing it was really bad service, but went ahead and stayed anyway and that time it worked out. Also just to check out they only have one clerk on, had to wait 10 minutes.

But anyway, wouldn't ever stay here again.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank Lindamich
I would like to thank-you for your review of our hotel, this is the best way for us to improve. It is our standard to have either a pre authorized credit card on file or do require a deposit on our guest rooms, I will certainly look into our verbiage and communication at our desk to ensure we are giving guests accurate and clear requirements. I do apologize that the television in the room did not meet your standards; we are currently looking at upgrading our televisions. Triple sheeting is a Ramada initiative to ensure all the bedding in the room is cleaned after every stay; we do offer additional blankets on request. I want to sincerely apologize that you did not enjoy your stay and would welcome the opportunity to show you our hospitality in the future.

Best wishes,

Toronto
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 February 2010

Like any review, the opinions are relative. I've stayed in the good, the bad and the ugly. This is in between the last two.

Elevators took ten minutes to arrive and not because there were so many people staying there - they aren't programmed to collect people properly. You can hear them whizzing by but they were mostly empty. You can't take the stairs instead because they lead outside. There is no way to take the stairs to your room from the lobby. To make it worse, the staff uses the guest elevator for room service and their cart takes up nearly the entire space.

Restaurant service was slow and the food was tasteless. The attached bar (The Locker Room) is suitably named as it smells of dirty jock straps. I can only guess what I was sitting on when I parked myself at a bar stool. The place has never been properly cleaned.

Reception was friendly but soooooo slow. There was no proper line so it was a free-for-all and if you were behind the slow line, you stayed there.

Nothing has been painted, renovated or upgraded in what seems like 25 years.

It may be good for the location or for the price but it was gross and no amount of showering made me feel comfortable.

The non-digital thermostat was hyper-sensitive. 12 degrees was freezing and 14 was roasting.

Perk - free wi-fi which worked 90% of the time.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled on business
Let me begin by thanking your for your comments about our hotel. Feedback positive or negative helps us improve as an organization and for that I am grateful. I do apologize for the waits for our elevators; we will certainly look at what can be done from our associate usage perspective. With respect to our restaurant, we have recently updated our menus and I am sure you will fine them more than acceptable. The Locker rooms is getting re-upholstered as I write this letter and anticipate it being completed by month end. I do apologize that you did not enjoy your stay and welcome the opportunity to earn your business in the future. If you would like to contact me directly please email me at jsaad@silverbirchhotels.com

Yours Truly,

Ontario
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 December 2009

I recently stayed here at the Ramada Confrence Centre and found the hotel to be very clean with renovated rooms, Large screen television in the room, staff was very friendly, and the food was amazing. The hotel i found was very quiet. I recommend staying here for the price and good service. I was treated very good by all staff, and especially a lady named Lyndsay, that made me feel very welcome and to contact her or the desk if there was anything wrong or i needed. Thanks to all for my wonderful stay at your hotel.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled solo
Manager2009, Director of Operations at Ramada Edmonton Hotel & Conference Centre, responded to this review, 28 December 2009
I would like to thank-you for taking the time to write a review of our hotel. I am glad to hear you enjoyed your stay with us; we take great pride in our hotel as well as the level of service we provide all of our guests. Should myself or anyone else on my team be of assistance to you please feel free to contact me at 780-453-7312

Director of Operations
Coronach
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 November 2009

Excellent Customer Service, very clean rooms and a friendly atmosphere.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled on business
olds
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 October 2009

Stay here if you like but DO NOT take your own vehicle here. While we stayed here our van was vandalized in broad daylight ( 4:00 pm to 5:30pm). Two other vehicles we know of were also vandalized during our four day weekend stay. The security people could not even be bothered to help us with our situation. I guess there little sign stating they are not responsible for anything in their parking lot says it all, because they lived up their billing. I got an email stating they were sorry that we got vandalized. Thanks a lot for nothing. Tell what you are doing to rectify the problem.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled on business
Manager2009, General Manager at Ramada Edmonton Hotel & Conference Centre, responded to this review, 11 November 2009
Thank you for your comments about your recent stay. We were disappointed to hear that your van was vandalized in our parking lot. We take the safety and security of our guests very seriously and we have our hotel security conduct regular patrols of our hotel interior and exterior, unfortunately vehicle vandalism and break in is a problem in most major Canadian cities, we work very closely with our local Edmonton police services to ensure that there is adequate police patrols and that we mitigate the occurrences of these incidents throughout our city.We look forward to the opportunity to welcome you again to the Ramada Conference Centre on your next visit to Edmonton.
George Marine,General Manager