“A little bit overpriced”

Edmonton Inn and Conference Centre
Ranked #80 of 93 Hotels in Edmonton
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 18 June 2010

I stayed last year one week for a training course. Nice conference center the rooms are just OK clean basic . It was a company paid accommodation but I have to scoop this money from my pocket probably I wouldn’t. They have restaurants on site the hotel si kind in a non residential area not too much around a Canadian Tire across street. Not so far though by Downtown if you have a car.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled on business
Manager2009, Manager at Edmonton Inn and Conference Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 29 June 2010

Thank-you for your review of our hotel. I appreciate positive or negative feedback as this becomes a tool we can use to continually improve our product and service. Our hotel recently moved to consistent $99 including hot buffet breakfast, we feel this adds to the value of this hotel.

Reviewed 6 June 2010

We will never stay there again. The hotel is being run into the ground. The beds were hard as a rock. The rooms were stuffy and hot even with the heater turned off. Room service trays stayed in the halls for days on end. Towels and extra blankets had holes in them. We asked for a wheelchair accessible room but the door was barely wide enough to get through with help. The maid walked in on us in the morning without even knocking on the door. We were booked in as a group rate that was supposed to get the lowest rate available but in fact did not - you could have received a better rate just by booking through their 1-800 number rather than going through the group rate set up for us. When we checked in it was at the same time as when a large shuttle bus of people arrived and there was only 1 person at the desk and they did not bring anyone else out to help, even when asked. It was a very long wait. When I complained about this to the manager the next day I was told that they are not allowed to have more than 1 person on the front desk at a time, even when they know they are getting a large group of people in. The only good thing about the hotel was that the employees were pleasant to deal with. I do not recommend this hotel. We have had bad experiences at other Ramada's in the past as well so I do not recommend them at any location.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled on business

Thank-you for your review of our hotel. I appreciate positive or negative feedback as this becomes a tool we can use to continually improve our product and service. Our hotel did receive approximately $10 million in renovations in 2008 which included 650 brand new Serta mattresses I apologize if they were not to your liking, it is troubling to me to hear that there were room service trays left in the hallways as it is our standard to have them picked up twice daily, I will certainly review with my restaurant manager. I have asked my Executive housekeeper to investigate why a housekeeper would have entered your room. I certainly apologize on the discrepancy on the rate you received and I would not be happy if the same had happened to me. That being said we have now gone to a flat price of $99 including hot breakfast for a single room which should avoid situations like you encountered. With regard to staffing at our desk we certainly encourage our managers to staff according to the business levels and would never compromise service to save a few dollars in labor, I will follow up with my front office leader to determine where the breakdown was. I was happy to hear that you found our associates pleasant to deal with as we take great pride in the work they do.

Reviewed 30 May 2010

I came to the Ramada Conference Centre not because I was traveling, but because I needed a restful place to stay on a Saturday night (my noisy, people-filled house was not an option).

First of all, I have to admit - after reading some of the less favorable reviews on this site, I was quite apprehensive and downright nervous about my upcoming stay. It doesn't seem to have that great of a rep... but from the time of my arrival to my check-out the next morning, things went without incident.

I had the bad fortune of arriving for check-in right behind an enormous group that had reached the front desk moments before me. Needless to say, I waited around a little while in order to get my room key and info. However, I did not feel put-out at all, because the surroundings were quite pleasant. There is a large area of indoor foliage that takes up a big section of the main floor, and the entire reception area of the hotel itself is quite pretty and well-lit.

The man who checked me in was very nice. He had a smile on my face and just seemed all-around happy to be there. He had me set up and ready to go in no time. So far, so good.

My room was on the 14th floor, and I must admit that the elevators are not ideal. They are slow, and I did find myself waiting around for a bit before one of them arrived to beam me up. The ride up was alright, if not a little "creaky."

The hotel room itself was pretty standard. It wasn't the very best that I have been in, but then again, I wasn't looking for top-notch. I was very, very pleased with the cleanliness, size, and brightness of it. There was a business desk, which was a good addition, as well as an armchair. My expectations were definitely exceeded except for one thing- the TV. When I book a stay at a hotel, I like to have at least a medium-sized TV. This one was much too small - maybe 17 inches? and a bit far from the bed. For some people this might not be a big deal, but as I rarely watch television at home, I like the nice little luxury of being able to relax in my hotel bed and watch a bit of TV without having to put in my contacts and squint at the screen. I know they are undergoing renovations, so hopefully they plan to put in bigger screens. Fingers crossed.

The housekeeper knocked on the door a couple hours after I arrived and greeted me, saying she was just making rounds. What a cheerful woman! She was absolutely wonderful and welcoming. AND if she is the one that cleaned the room before I got there, then I extent my gratitude. There wasn't a speck of dust in sight, and believe me, I am OCD about cleanliness!

I began to get hungry and debated whether to order room service or venture out in search of something to eat. Now I will tell you, the Conference Centre is not exactly located in the best part of Edmonton, especially when it comes to food choices. However, there is no need to go hungry, whether you have a car or not. I did not try the food from Botanica, which is the restaurant inside the hotel that offers room service, but that is an option. If you want to leave the hotel in search of food, there are some options. If you have a car, there is Kingsway Mall about a 3-minute drive away. They have a nice food court and a couple restaurants nearby. McDonald's, Tim Hortons , and A&W are close as well. There is also a Save-on-Foods about a 5-to 10-minute walk from the hotel. In that same plaza is a Quizno's, Starbucks, and Ricki's.

Lastly, my departure the next day was also smooth. The girl quickly checked me out, confirmed that everything was paid for, and sent me on my way. I had a good rest, good food, and a restful night. All in all, I was pleased with my stay. The friendly staff would definitely warrant a repeat visit!!

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled solo

Thank-you for your review of our hotel. I appreciate your feedback; I apologize for the wait to check-in and am glad our agents got you checked in as soon as possible. Our elevators are starting to show their age, however they are meticulously maintained and are in perfect running order. With regard to our televisions you can uncross your fingers as yes they are scheduled to be replaced, we have already replaced one entire tower with flat screen TV’s and are working hard on completing the project.

Reviewed 3 May 2010

I booked the hotel online, and judging by the photos (and Ramada's reputation) thought I got a great bargain (less than 100$). However, I was deeply disappointed (and my standards were not that high!). The wall next to the elevator were in desperate need of painting, the whole place looked very run down (the buttons in the elevators had been burned/vandalized). The room was cold (we couldn't figure out how to turn on the heat - there were no instructions next to the "vintage" A/C system) and there were no extra blankets in the room. We had to struggle with the phone in order to make it work (decided to give up on the struggle when we were cold at 4 am) and there was no hot water in the morning...
We specifically requested a non-smoking room, but to our surprise the entire hallway smelt like smoke, and so did the room. The room was dirty and the beds looked like the sheets hadn't even been washed. The carpets were full of stains...
The restaurant downstairs was horrible - they managed to mess up the most basic of meals (porridge!) and they had an evening buffet that smelled really bad (the smell spread all across the hallway!).
The location was a joke - they claimed to be located downtown, which could not be further from the truth, and the only places we could find nearby were a Canadian Tire store across the street and a "Ricky's" + Pizza 73 5 minutes from the hotel. The place wasn't even near downtown (and definitely not within walking distance).
I've traveled across the world and across Canada and stayed in budget hotels, and never had such a bad experience.
To be fair, the staff was very friendly, but it doesn't make up for the place.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 1 May 2010

I recently flew to Edmonton on business and stayed at the Ramada Hotel & Conference Centre by the municipal airport. I found the room to be comfortable, and the staff to be friendly and helpful. The hotel seems to be well managed and the employees focused on customer service. I'd definitely stay here again; in fact I'm spending another week there in May.

Dave Nielsen

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled on business

Thank-you for your review of our hotel. I appreciate your feedback, We work hard to deliver the best service and value to all of our guests and it is certainly nice to here back from guests on their experience.

Reviewed 29 April 2010

We reserved this room online through Hotwire based on 2-star criteria (it was under $100 to stay per night). I can honestly say that we paid too much for an average-sized room with dirty, stale smoke-smelling hallways/ flooring and a toilet with a filthy seat (to the point where you couldn't tell whether it was beige-brown from old or new stains or fading color).

There was clearly an attempt made to renovate the room. There was mismatched wall paper and carpeting. Decor really means nothing to us, but it somewhat represents the half-hazard effort made to make the room look modern, fresh. We did not feel comfortable in the room because it felt dirty, old and cheap.

The only perks of staying here were the accessibility to downtown Edmonton (a 5-minute drive to Whyte Avenue), ample parking spots and the friendly front desk staff who are helpful and efficient.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple

Thank-you for your review of our hotel. I appreciate positive or negative feedback as this becomes a tool we can use to continually improve our product and service. Our hotel did receive approximately $10 million in renovations in 2008, certainly renovations and maintenance work continues regularly to best serve our guests. With regard to the hallway odors and cleanliness we certainly appreciate that having the option for our smoking guests may cause an inconvenience to our non-smoking guests, should this have been brought to our attention we would have been happy to move you to completely separate and non-smoking tower. Our Hotel offer 428 guest rooms located in 3 completely separate towers, two of which are completely non-smoking. I certainly apologize if you felt your room was not cleaned to your standard. I will certainly discuss this with our Executive housekeeper. I agree the location of our hotel is great and offer easy access to all of Edmonton. Thank-you for the compliment on our front desk staff we take great pride in the work they do.

Reviewed 2 April 2010

I came off of night shift. My sleep and eating schedules were not back to normal. Food was extremely hard to come by. Room service begins late and ends early, and is shut down in the middle of the day. The vending machines don't even have food in them.
Location is great for what I was doing.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled solo
Manager2009, Hotel Manager at Edmonton Inn and Conference Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 22 April 2010

Thank-you for recent comments with regard to our hotel; I was disappointed to hear that you had some challenges with our hours of operations of our restaurant and lounges. Our botaniCa restaurant is open from 6:30am -2pm and 5pm – 10pm daily, our room service is open from 7am – 2pm and 5pm – 10pm daily our botaniCa lounge is open from 5pm – 12am 5 days per week and our Locker room sports bar is open from 11:30am to 1:00am daily. During the hours of the day where we do not offer food service in one of our outlets we do have a vending machine with snacks located in our lobby. If your travels bring you back to Edmonton and you are working night shifts, it would be our pleasure to accommodate you and provide you a variety of cold menu items to be placed in the mini fridge of your guest room.

Yours truly,