“NOT SO BAD!”

Ranked #59 of 93 Hotels in Edmonton
Edmonton
“NOT SO BAD!”
Reviewed 8 February 2010

Our older daughter wanted to have a birthday party at our house so asked if she could put us up in a hotel. She chose the Ramada South thinking that her brothers 11 and 13 would enjoy the waterslides. I have lived in Edmonton forever and have never stayed at the Ramada South, however, knew of it due to driving in on the Calgary Trail. I checked some reviews and was horrified. The place sounded like a dump! It was not bad at all. It is hugely budget friendly. The room, two queen beds, is small and basic, however CLEAN. The boys enjoyed the waterpark area. It is an older hotel, however, effort is being made to update it and it is BUDGET FRIENDLY. We were in room #451. I did help some kids in the hallway find the pool and I did see the opposite staircase on the 2nd floor. It did resemble something out of a "horror movie", however, that was the only occasion that I encountered that stairwell. Otherwise, some reviews are harsh....Our experience was a good one.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank selinam68
Opsmanager0, Manager at Ramada Edmonton South, responded to this review, 9 February 2010
Thank you for taking the time to enter your comments. We are definatly in the process of up grading the hotel, with out renovations which are in place now. Up grading all rooms is the process we are in now, and then we will be renovating the water park.
My door is always open to any guests who wish to discuss the hotel, renovations or any concerns they may have.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Edmonton
Reviewed 5 January 2010

I recently stayed at the Ramada in south Edmonton, AB. It was the worst hotel I have ever stayed in!!! Due to construction the signs for the Ramada are no where in sight. I missed the tiny sign underneath the HUGE Smittys sign. I should have kept on going. At check in my room was changed due to the fact that I had a small pet. First bad sign. Once I opended the room door I was completely grossed out! The carpet was so dirty and stained I refused to take my shoes off. The room was so outdated. The air conditioner was barely hanging on the wall. The tv remote didnt work. (I had 3 movie charges on my bill for the exact same movie) And the worst was the bathroom. The floor had visible crumbs (im assuming- I didnt want to look too closely, too scared!) also there was long strans of black hair around the sink. I have short blonde hair- definetly not mine! My boyfriend entered the room and couldnt believe I would even stay in such a dive. We toughed it out because it was last minute and not all hotels take pets. Never again will I stay here! We wanted to go on the waterslides but they were closed. We were informed that they would open the next day at 3pm! We had to check out before then. I was then informed I should have checked in sooner and used the waterslides then. Front desk staff are very inproffesional. I should have been tipped off by their work station. Disorganized and chaotic! All of this is nothing compared to when I checked my credit card bill. I was charged an additional $40 after my original bill. When I phoned to see what these charges were I was treated like a child. The staff memeber laughed at me when she told me there was an additional charge for pets. The charge is nowhere posted (as I was later told by the manager). The room alone is enough to never stay here again. I will even go as far as to look for another chain of hotels. But the way I was treated by the staff was what sealed the deal and made me write a review. I hope when they finish the renovations on the building, they also get new staff!

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank lindsey661
Opsmanager0, Manager at Ramada Edmonton South, responded to this review, 7 January 2010
The hotel has never adversited rates for pets, and all pets do go into designated rooms. We never force a guest to stay if they are unhappy, nor did they stop by the front desk at check out time and if they did I am not sure why this was not addressed at this time. The guest is unhappy about the fees of the pet, and all the staff member did was relay back that the fees are $25 and the fee amount is not advertised. The staff member is very upset that a person would write such a thing on a web site. I did call this guest back and had tl leave a voice mail. I asked for a phone call back, but never received one. Any guest who wishes not to stay due to the construction, we never make them stay. This guest had the option of leaving but still choice to stay. I do not believe the cleanliness of the room was the state suggested, but she was on a lower floor due to the pet designated room. All the hotel is under renovation, and all rooms will be renovated in the next 7 months
Alberta
Reviewed 5 January 2010

"Suite" was just a larger bedroom that included a couch. Screaming people in the hallways (which smelled of marijuana) until 4:30 am. Front door broken, no help with luggage despite being with an infant, complained of the noise and got a shrug of shoulders and 'Well it WAS New Years Eve' (which would have been marginally more acceptable had the noise stoped at midnight). Banging pipes in wall every 30 seconds made it impossible to sleep, hot water took 5 minutes to reach shower and then it was only lukewarm. Waterslides broken (not operating) parking atrocious and scary people hanging out in hallway. Not happy.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank Kaitesmom
Saskatchewan
Reviewed 6 December 2009

Salvage the windows and the beds and knock the rest down..
The floors are uneven ,why the foundation has moved....
When you press the button number 2 in the elevator and the number 7 lights up.
Or how about a Ice Machine thats been broken for me than 7 months...
There,s no way I,d stay in this Hotel again...
Look how long it,s taking them to fix that Ice Machine , How can they fix a whole building..?

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank Jeffcoo7
Opsmanager0, Manager at Ramada Edmonton South, responded to this review, 14 December 2009
I just wish to review on this guests items mentioned. The ice machine has not been down for 7 months, and if an ice machine stops making ice on one floor it was due to it being out of ice, and required time to refill. The pictures this guest submitted, is from the older part of the hotel, and all these rooms are discounted to a very low rate. If the guest wish to move, all they woul dhave had to do is call the front desk. All rooms are going to be renovated.
Williams Lake, BC
Reviewed 12 November 2009

When I pulled into the Ramada Inn Edmonton South, a feeling of dread overcame me. The entire hotel was surrounded by construction infrastructure, equipment and scaffolding. The hotel is obviously under a complete renovation, from top to bottom. My fear was of the potential dirt and noise, associated with such operations.
Much to my delight, over the five days of my stay, there was NONE of either ! Construction did NOT begin until 8:00 AM and ended prior to my return at 6:00 PM. My room was kept sealed from the outside and was always spic and span. In spite of the construction both inside and out, staff managed an excellent level of service.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled on business
Thank you for taking the time to leave your feed back. Although we under renovations, we still try to provide our guests with customer service. This is a very trying time for guests and staff, but once the hotel is completed, we will bring a higher level of rooms to all guests staying with us. Your patience is very much appreciated.
Cape Breton
Reviewed 30 October 2009

We picked this hotel because it was very well priced. There was reno's happening, but we didn't hear any of the noise. The room was nice with very comfortable beds and pillows. The water park definately needs a really good cleaning. there was also air freshners in the rooms, which I was allergic to. I don't think these are a good idea simply because many people have allergies. The shower didn't really have a lot of pressure. The hotel was very easy to find considering it was our first trip to Edmonton. The hotel staff were very friendly and helpful. We enjoyed our stay. They don't have a complimentry breakfast but there is a Smitty's attached and a lot of restaurants in the area.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
canada
Reviewed 24 October 2009

Quite possibly the WORST place we have stayed. Upon arrival one should have known to turn tail and run, but we did not, herein lay the mistake. Yes, the building was under construction but really this was not the problem. Our first unpleasant "surprise" was the elevator that reaked of the night before's vomit. Even our three year old pleaded with us not to make him ride back down on the "stinky" elevator. The hallways were smelly, walls scuffed, scratched and had huge holes that the hotel tried to cover up with ice machines. The carpet woren off in places and so stained one could not imagine what the pattern had once been. The room's decor, most definately was still caught in the 70's, again not nice but bearable, what was not however, was the condition of the room itself. Holes in walls large enough for rodents to enter and exit, hot water that took a half hour to actually get warm, carpet so old and thread baren that you could see the floor beneath. Where the carpet was actually carpet, it was so stained you tried not to imagine what the stains were from..... There were holes in the ceiling and the grout in the bathroom was absolutely filthy. After leaping to the shower to avoid touching the floor too much one had to navigate out of the shower and find some way to not to dirty their feet all over again. Pictures displayed on one internet site must be what the owners dream the hotel to look like when renos are complete, but good luck with that, this hotel should be classified as a disaster zone and torn down.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled on business