Sandman Signature Edmonton South Hotel
Union Bank Inn(Edmonton)
US$157
US$146
  • Breakfast included
All reviewschop restaurantfront desk staffking suitegreat lobbyanthony henday drivemain levelseparate bedroomhot tubcoffee machinesitting areaamazing hotelstandard roomfridge and microwavethird floorquiet roomcomfortable bedshotel staff
Reviewed 19 April 2012

I booked my stay at this hotel through Expedia 12 days prior to the date of my reservation. I received no less than three confirmations of my booking. However, on arriving I was told by the front desk staff that the hotel was in an overbooked situation and that me and my girlfriends were being moved to rooms in an another hotel. They said the cost of the rooms were being looked after and that the online booking service would be refunding my $$. When I contacted the customer service department of the online booking service they had never been notified of the overbooked situation and when they attempted to contact the Sandman there was no Manager on Duty for them to speak with. The hotel that the Sandman put us in was old, dirty and a significant down grade, I would NEVER have booked rooms in this hotel if I were given the choice, and would definitely never pay what I had been already charged for the night at the Sandman. The next day I went back to the Sandman to try and speak to a manager on duty - she (Shannon) told me that they would not be refunding my money, and that I was lucky that they had arranged for us to stay anywhere else, that I was "lucky we didn't just let you show up and tell you we don't have a room available." She went on to tell me that overbooking isn't really that uncommon and she doesn't understand why I am so upset - "in fact, we are overbooked tonight too and I am going to have to move several guests into other hotels" She repeatedly apologized for the inconvenience but refused to accept any responsibility for the situation. Expedia graciously refunded the cost of the room even though the manage on duty admitted that they had only alerted Expedia to the overbooked situation the day AFTER our reservation. I would be extremely hesitant to stay at this hotel again, even though it looks like a beautiful hotel, because I have no confidence in the management or in the fact that there would actually be a room available for me to stay in.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank carla h
Reviewed 10 April 2012

We had a very pleasant stay and the staff was very friendly and helpful. After reading some of the negative reviews, it's hard to believe that this is the same hotel. We experienced none of the issues in those reviews. Our room was very clean and we had no problems navigating the elevator.
One huge problem in hotels is that teams congregate in one room and create a problem for the other guests, like noise, and drunken behavior so the staff is forced to deal repeatedly with complaints.
Perhaps the Sandman separates teams and makes it hard for them to socialize in the rooms to prevent problems. If that's the case, we appreciate the effort.

We stayed in March 2012 and had a great quiet stay. Thank you

Room Tip: Although the proximity of the hotel is near busy roads, our room was very quiet.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Mark L
Reviewed 2 April 2012

We stayed at this hotel with our hockey team in March 2012. We arrived at 5:45pmn to find rooms weren't ready for 2 families even after we called an hour ahead to let them know our eta. These families were told they would have a 2 to 3 hour wait for their rooms. Reasons given for rooms not cleaned was that it is a big hotel and it takes a long time to clean and that they had late check outs that day. Overall, the front desk staff were very unfriendly and seemed to be annoyed with us simply checking in.
On our second day, once again, some rooms were not cleaned and those that were, were not cleaned very well. We had a meal catered by a restaurant in the hotel and we had issues with our order, our charges and the quality of the food. We paid $20 per person for pasta that was all stuck together, a hard little dinner roll, sauce that ran out and was not refilled and salad that was brought out after most had eaten.
This is not the hotel is a hassel for teams to stay unless you all are on the same floor. You need keys to access each floor. So if you want to meet in a room on another floor you have to borrow a room key from someone so you can get to that floor. Very frustarting and difficult to have a team meeting or to simply socialize. I understand and appreciate that this for security of the guests but I have to restate that it is not the best place for a team to stay.
I sent an email to the manager but have yet to get a response.
This hotel has a beautiful lobby but that is the only positive thing about it.

Room Tip: Rooms are quite narrow and small.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank usse
Reviewed 1 April 2012

My overall rating after 5 minutes in this hotel would be a big fat zero!! Do not stay here! We booked over the phone, have been to this area of Edmonton several times and have stayed at the hotel directly behind. We decided to try the Sandman because it was a new hotel and because it had the family suite with bunk beds and seperated the queen bedroom from the kids room which we thought would be nice for a change...
We arrived early afternoon, checked in and went to the room. The hallways were dingy the carpets were horrendous but didn't think much of it as it was earlier in the day and maybe the housekeeping had not gotten to it yet... opened the door to our room and for a new hotel thought it looked quite run down, the kitchen counter was filthy (and i'm not talking about the marks on the quartz that can not be helped... as the maid tried to convince us it was just stained!!) There was dried food and it was just really grungy, then we pulled one of the pillows off the queen bed and to find that it had brown stains on it and the bed linens looked like they'd just been re-made from the previous night they were very wrinkled and did not look clean... THEN we moved on to the bathroom and the counters were also disgusting, and clearly not wiped. So we called front desk, they sent up housekeeping to have a look and she was not appologetic at all just made us feel like this was normal and we were being ridiculous... she did, however move us next door to a new room... we walked in that room ran our hands across the countertops in the "new" "clean" room and our hands came up with crap and dust all over them, they had not been wiped down either!!! At this point we made a quick decision to leave the hotel two rooms in a row, same issues we had seen enough it felt grungy, not well taken care of and definately not clean for a more "high end" hotel.... I've had better at the comfort inn! The final nail in the coffin for us was the service both from the housekeeping and the front desk, when we asked to see a manager the girl at the front told us there was no manager on and that we'd have to wait till the next day and the housekeeping lady was cold as ice, rude and made us feel like we were being unreasonable as she tried to make excuses as to why it was so disgusting. When we went down to the front desk 5 minutes after checking in to check out and after changing rooms twice, SUDDENLY there was a manager!! Not sure where he came from but suddenly Steve the Manager appeared....so not only were we lied to, but perhaps this could have been rectified sooner, had they let us speak with him sooner? Believe it or not, we are not picky people, great service goes a long way with us, but in this case not only was it disgustingly filthy... but the service was disgusting as well, the girl at the front was not friendly or appologetic or helpful.... we will never even consider this hotel ever again... YUCK!

Room Tip: Good Luck... !
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 March 2012

I will never stay at this property again. The manager Shannon is rude and not friendly or helpful, i can't believe how she was treating me and other guest. Some how my reservation was changed from a king suite to two bed, when i went back downstairs she told me that because i booked though expedia it's NOT guarantee what room we'll get at check in so i pay for something more online and at check in i get downgraded. I told her i want the room i booked for she said i'm sorry we're sold out of suites. I was mad, i told her i wanted to speak to a manager and she said she was the only manager, how could that be 1 hotel only has 1 manager. I went back up to the room she gave me and few hours later i came back downstairs and spoke to another young lady and told her about my reservation and she looked at it and i showed her my reservation that expedia emailed me , she said oh so SORRY about that let me put you in the room that was booked for, i said i thought you were sold out of suites she said no we're not we're not even busy at this moment i was getting more mad. As she was changing my room Shannon comes out to the desk and asks the young girl at the desk what she was doing she explained the situation to Shannon. Shannon rolled her eyes and walked away, as i was standing by the elevator i could hear her telling the front desk staff never to change a room with out asking her 1st and the staff asked her why and she told her the story and the staff said well if she booked a suite then she should get it. The hotel was nice and resturant was amazing but management needs attuide adjustment.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple