“Nice room Shame about the people working the front desk”

Sandman Signature Edmonton South Hotel
Ranked #42 of 93 Hotels in Edmonton
Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

Stayed there in a jacuzzi room while taste of Edmonton was going on awesome location but yet also out of the way which is nice the room was nice huge jacuzzi tub I had ordered the romance package which I felt was a bit pricey at $60 for a bottle of sparkling wine couple roses and some chocolate covered strawberries which never got eaten because they were gross....... When I called to
Book the room I had told the lady I was going to be coming in early and asked if it would be ok to check in early she said yes so we showed up around 1245 which was 45 mins later than I had expected to arrive to be told no check in was at 2 I explained the situation and got no where as the lady spoke English but not very well so we went next door for lunch and came back at 2 just to be told room wasn't ready finely around 230
Our room was ready..... I may or may not stay here again was nice but I think sometimes more money doesn't always mean better service. (Sorry about grammar and punctuation)

• Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank danam995
SandmanSig, General Manager at Sandman Signature Edmonton South Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 August 2014

Dear Dana M,

Thank you for taking the time to comment about your visit to my property. Without feedback such as yours, we cannot improve upon the services that are offered.

I am happy to read that you enjoyed the Jacuzzi room but disappointed to hear that you had challenges with your check in and with the romance package. I would love the opportunity to discuss this further with you.

Again, thank you for taking the time to comment about your visit and I look forward to speaking with you directly.

780-391-3188
gm_edmsouth@sandman.ca

There are newer reviews for Sandman Signature Edmonton South Hotel

Reviewed 2 August 2014

Had to make an unexpected trip to Edmonton with business in the massive power mall just five minutes away. Arrived on a Friday afternoon and was promptly checked in with a very courteous strong desk. The room was a king Jr executie suit which was nicely furnished....lots of room.....lots of closet space. Supper in CHOP Steakhouse was great..food was very well prepared with the one allergy adjustment done perfectly. Service was attentive and well organized. We were in the lounge so lots of sports on the TVs.....breakfast in the star plus room was fine....was warned by a friend about the overpriced offerings and very long and poor service for breakfast in Rockfords...........check out was quick a day friendly...asked if we needed further reservations....or directions....a great overall experience

Room Tip: Jr executive feature a king bed and lots of room....west side faces highway...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business

Dear Amytasha,

Thank you for taking the time to comment about your visit to my property.

I am very happy to read that you enjoyed all aspects of your stay. These are great positive comments that I can share with my team. We do not always receive the positive comments about our guests stays.

Thank you again for sharing your comments about your visit and we look forward to welcoming you back again in the future.

Reviewed 15 July 2014

Firstly, this is relatively newer hotel with a great decor and feel. Hotel staff were pleasant and polite, but nothing over the top. I was there for three nights on business and although it is not the hotel's fault there is not a lot to do in the immediate area, which was kind of a bummer! I found the room to be spacious and clean, but the bathroom fixtures were tarnishing, which I found odd for a newer hotel. The bathroom vanity also had some staining. Regardless, the room served it's purpose for me just fine.

My real disappointment came with my dining experience in their restaurant Rockford Wok. I arrived on a Sunday night and the service was terrible! Let me point out, they were not short staffed, as I counted three staff members for 8 tables. It appeared to me that socializing and talking among themselves or friends was more important than serving the customers. It is too bad really, as the food was really good. As an example, I saw a party of four arrive sit and leave after 20 minutes with no one coming to their table. They certainly were not over worked, as one staff member was outside showing a friend something in his trunk. Although the optics looked bad - two people looking in a trunk discretely in a hotel parking lot, I am sure it was a new cat speaker system he was show casing.

On a positive note, I had dinner the following night in Chop Steakhouse and the service was much better, which left me shaking my head wondering if i was in the same hotel.

This would not stop me from going back; however, I would most likely not dine at the Rockwood again.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Jamie B

Dear Jamie B,

Thank you for taking the time to comment about your visit to my property. Feedback, both positive and constructive, is very important and helps us to improve upon the services being offered.

I am was pleased to read that the services for the hotel were up to your standards, although not over the top. I am very disappointed to read about your experience in Rockford. Rockford Wok Bar and Grill is a leased establishment to the hotel, as is CHOP, however, I do expect the same service standards to be in place that i would have in the hotel. I have already discussed this with the restaurant manager and he has handled this situation accordingly. on behalf of the restaurant, i do apologize for you, and the others, experiencing such poor service.

Jamie B, thank you again for taking the time to comment about your visit. Great strides are being made to ensure that experiences like yours do not occurr again to our guests and we look forward to welcoming you back again in the future.

Reviewed 13 July 2014

My family rented a suite, the suite was perfect, lots of space and the decor is very nice. With that being sad the renovation to the hotel was done poorly the kitchen cupboard tops were stained and looked dirty even though they were clean & within hours of our arrival the handle fell off sliding door to our room and the tub release for the shower came flying off while my husband was in the shower. With that being said the staff were wonderful and fixed the problems immediately.

Unfortunately we encountered another issue- traffic all night long! The hotel is situated conveniently right off of ellerslie road and we heard loud traffic all night long. The room was right at the intersection of ellerslie and the side road which was also very busy. Again the staff was very accommodating after little to no sleep with our 2 year old they moved us to a different suite in the middle of the hotel and facing the back side. We had a wonderful second nights sleep.

If staying at this hotel I recommend requesting a room facing the back end of the hotel.

• Stayed: July 2014
Reviewed 24 June 2014

We stayed at the Sandman Signature Edmonton for 16 nights and were surprisingly comfortable for a stay that long. As corporate clients we had access to the private lounge which always had a great selection of treats and a comfortable couch when we wanted to escape the confines of our rooms. The gym was surprisingly large and had everything we needed to stay active every day, and although the pool was expectantly small, the hot tub was quite comfortable. Attached to both Rockford and CHOP made dinner decisions very easy on the evenings that we wanted to stay close to home. The cleaning staff were always friendly and hospitable and the rooms were spacious, clean and comfortable.

Would definitely visit again and recommend to friends and colleagues.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Aquavan A
Reviewed 18 June 2014

Love this hotel I always stay here on business. They have a king suite that has a kitchen and a washer and dryer. What more could you ask for. I love that they have a few free cans of pop every time you check in. Lovely place to stay anytime on business or with friends and family.

Room Tip: Get the upgraded king suite. With the washer and dryer.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank merrmat
Reviewed 11 June 2014

I have stayed at this hotel on numerous occasions for business and it has always proved satisfactory. The front desk staff are very accommodating and there is a customer room for free drinks (water, coffee, tea,hot chocolate), fruit, microwave popcorn, etc. There is also a great restaurant (Chop) on the premises with lounge, and it is within walking distance to other restaurants and some shops.

Room Tip: A room away from the elevators is probably the best.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business