“An Okay Stay”

Ranked #79 of 93 Hotels in Edmonton
Calgary, Canada
“An Okay Stay”
Reviewed 18 May 2011

I stayed at the Sandman Hotel West Edmonton while attending a seminar. The hotel looks very modern and classy, especially in the lobby. Check-in was smooth and quick. The first room I was given was a 1-queen room facing the courtyard, with the room being just big enough for the 1 queen bed! I asked to be moved to a larger room, which they quickly accommodated. The second room was larger and faced the outside of the building. It was on the side that faced a wall of a warehouse, so not much of a view. Also it was a connecting room, but there was no lock on the connecting door which worried me since there was no way to completely secure my room. Most hotels that I have stayed at with connecting rooms have some sort of lock on the connecting door. The real problem was the layout of the room. You could not see the TV from the bed! I like to relax in bed and watch TV, so this would not work. I again asked about being moved to another room. However, I was told there was only a limited number of 1-queen bed rooms and there were no others. The upgrade would be to a 1-queen bed room with a pull-out sofa and it would cost another $20/night, so I opted to go with my original tiny room so that I could watch TV from bed. My room had a balcony (one of only 4 in the hotel), however the room directly beside mine at a 90 degree angle had a window that looks right onto it. The layout and planning of this building was quite poor. As was said in other reviews, there is no elevator and the stairwells are a maze with most only going up 1 floor and you having to find the next one to continue. The room was okay. There have definitely been upgrades. The lighting was not that great and quite weird, with a hanging one-bulb light in the middle of the room over top of nothing. The heating had a thermostat, however the air-conditioner was a wall-mounted one but it did have a remote to change the settings. The pool was nice in the courtyard setting, though nothing special. The hot-tub was nice and deep so you could sit and have the water cover your shoulders and neck. The room-service menu was limited in selection, but the food was okay. One interesting aspect was that they did not want to leave the tray in the room when they delivered the food. Every other hotel I’ve stayed at leaves the serving tray so you can put the dishes out in the hall when you are done. The room was clean and cleaned daily. My only complaint was that they left the coffee machine on after cleaning it, meaning when I returned to the room the carafe was super hot and luckily didn’t crack or catch fire since it was dry. Overall, my stay was okay. If you are looking for a higher-class of hotel, I would recommend looking elsewhere. It definitely doesn’t compare to the Sandman hotel in Regina, SK, but does live up to the Sandman name.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed 2 May 2011

I don't think I'd return. The front desk clerk had a very blasé attitude, even when I tried cheering her up by giving her a complIment. But the worst thing about this hotel were the paper-thin walls! We could have been sleeping in the hallway for all we knew! Voices carried when people were walking down the hall, kids were louder than normal (just being kids but the walls are so thin!)

• Stayed April 2011
1 Thank Suzy M
Chilliwack, Canada
Reviewed 15 December 2010

We were put on the top 3rd floor. great. you would think... until you realise that they dont have any elevators!!! we had to lug all our luggage up the stairs. it was a pain. the room and hallways were very dark and didnt make me feel that safe. it looked up todate from the front, but when you walk all the way around to the back... ya no its not. i wouldnt stay there again.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Venus_sapphire1
Calgary
Reviewed 19 November 2010

Why must luxury equate to sombre, dark rooms? Rooms are about average size, but oddly enough, the nice wide desk in the room has the internet and AC plugs at one extreme end, and just one tiny lamp at the other end--who designs these things? Very comfortable beds, and while the bathroom fixtures are novel and unique they are of no advantage whatsoever to the user. More thought should have been given to in-room lighting rather than trendiness. The internet was blazingly fast (26MBPS) but the wired connection in my 2 different rooms quit working twice or more the 2 nights I stayed. As usual, desk staff hadn't heard of any prior problems with it. (Standard story everywhere) There is a good restaurant on site so no need to drive anywhere for meals. I suspect once this brand new hotel becomes better known rates will jump noticeably.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled on business
Lloydminster, Canada
Reviewed 14 November 2010

Check-in: Waited in line for 30 minutes as only one agent was at the desk and they were having problems with their system. Asked the agent to recommend a sushi restaurant and he said he wouldn't because he was "too spoiled" as his friend is a sushi chef and he doesn't eat anywhere else.... ummm, that still doesn't help us.... There are no elevators so I had to haul my heavy luggage up stairs :(
Room: Outdated! Pretty basic sandman room. Small TV, crappy linens etc. I tried twice to shower in the morning and had no hot water!!!! Room seemed expensive compared to other hotels in the area that we have stayed at.
Service: We ordered take-out and I called to ask for two plates and cutlery and they said unless I ordered room service I couldn't borrow their stuff. I asked for a wake-up call which I did not receive and was late for my appointment. Our room keys did not work for both the room and the outside door and had to be replaced 3 times. The service centre does not offer complimentary internet use, you are required to pay for internet!
Restaurant: Had breakfast at Denny's. At 9:30 am on a Friday, there was a 25 minute wait. Finally got to eat, the food was horrible and the wait staff unfriendly; I asked twice for a glass of water and did not receive it. Won't be back there.
The Good: Location, close to restaurants, shopping etc. Called a cab from the cab phone in the lobby and it was there within 2 minutes.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank luv_bc
Sherwood Park, Canada
Reviewed 11 October 2010

Our room was unbearably hot even with the air conditioning cranked. We spent some time in our room before going to an event and couldn't help but feel extremely claustraphobic in it!! The pool is not really much either, nice to cool off in after sweating your @$$ off in the room all night.
Still waiting for them to take the $100 hold off my visa...I was told it wouldn't be charged unless there was any damages, yet they've put a hold on it for 2 weeks already.
Find a hotel much closer to west ed for a simliar price instead!

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank Samanatahaa
whitehorse
Reviewed 10 October 2010

we stayed at the Sandman as part of a package deal with an airline. Typically I stay at more high end hotels, though my experience at the Sandman as good for what I paid for. The room was small, which was a bit challenging for four girls to get ready for a concert in. Overall the room seemed clean, and we had no concerns about the room. I really liked the pool area- we never went into the pool, but it was a beautiful little space.
Overall our stay was ok, though I would likely stay in a more high end hotel if I go back to edmonton any time soon.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with friends