“An Average Hotel”

Sandman Hotel Edmonton West
Ranked #79 of 93 Hotels in Edmonton
Reviewed 21 May 2013

I spent the May long weekend here for a sports tournament with my son. The location is good, very close to West Edmonton Mall, plenty of other malls, and restaurants. A large grocery store is within walking distance to the east (handy when you're tired of restaurant food). There is construction at the southeast corner of the hotel, reducing the available parking in the back lot. The remaining spaces are all tight -- awkward if you drive a wider vehicle. The wings of the hotel surround the central swimming pool. The ground-floor rooms (we had one) have sliding patio doors opening onto the swimming pool area -- very convenient when it's time to cut the kid(s) loose. The mattress on my bed was a bit worn on the side closer to the TV. Housekeeping did a very good job. All in all, an acceptable room. The only significant drawback is the always-present group of smokers congregating outside the main front doors to the hotel, forcing us to run the gauntlet of second-hand smoke when entering and leaving the hotel. It's an unfortunate consequence of the rules against smoking indoors, and it's perhaps unrealistic to banish the smokers to some far corner of the parking lot, but it doesn't make it any more pleasant for the rest of us.

Room Tip: If you are not travelling with children, ask for a room on the outside walls (not facing onto the po...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank A K

Reviewed 10 May 2013

Edmonton is usually booked up during the week so this was one of the only "decent" hotels left that accepts pets! The cost was average for Edmonton weekday stay, weekends are usually less! I will now agree with some of the previous posts on here, in that the hotel rooms are dated. They have a flat screen (which is standard in most hotels), but beyond that comfortable beds and average amenities all with older furnishings and bedspreads.

The front desk staff that checked us in was not the most pleasant person I've encountered! She was quite rude and short with us. There was no line or overly complicated tasks she seemed to be performing. Her directions to our room was as best as you can follow someone sticking their arm out and stating "your room is over there"!!! Over where exactly??? Needless to say we were miss directed and the exercise of finding our room took longer than necessary if someone who was happier with her job had been working and directing! We gave her the benefit of the doubt - hey everyone has a bad day, but another colleague was checking in the next day and stated the same frustration with finding his room.

The one warning I will provide is that we stayed at this hotel for work for 3 nights. The first two were next to unbearable due to the humidity level of the room. We were located on the inside courtyard with our windows/sliding door that exits to the courtyard which has the pool and whirlpool. The air conditioners are working overtime to compensate for the constant humidity and heat from the pool area. Bottom line, we were trying to sleep over the noise of the window air conditioner and heat of the room - at the beginning of May! We had to switch rooms on the third night and had a very restful night sleep in a room that has an outside wall. The front desk staff that worked to switch our room was great and did the request without hesitation!

Overall the hotel is okay! What made our stay the most worth while (and reason I try to exclusively stay at Sandman hotels when traveling for work) is Chop restaurant attached to the hotel. I always have a great experience at Chop restaurants and having the hotel/restaurant combined is a bonus when traveling for business.

Room Tip: Rooms on the inside have high humidity and heat due to walking out to the indoor pool area. Rooms a...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank teestar
Reviewed 20 April 2013 via mobile

Would not stay here again. We showed up in the late evening after a very long day and an online booking. The clerk could not find it for quite some time so I asked for an upgrade to the room. She did accommodate but failed to tell us we would have to haul our suitcases up 2 flights of stairs. Was so tired I would have taken any room to avoid that. Great location to west Ed mall and decent price but rooms dated and need an upgrade.

• Stayed: April 2013
Reviewed 15 April 2013

So I stay at Sandman locations frequently and have stayed at this one in the past. However the rooms are getting very worn. that being said the Chop is a very good restaraunt for dinner and there is a good breakfast restaraunt as well. The front desk staff are helpful and the rate is lower than some other hotels in the area.

Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 9 April 2013 via mobile

This is a great hotel in a great location. Rooms are a nice size. Pool is neat. Great service. Staff are very friendly and helpful. The only down fall to this hotel is getting around the actual hotel. No elevators. Just stairs.....everywhere! The restaurants attached to the hotel (Chop and Denny's) are both great and very convenient!

• Stayed: December 2012
1  Thank hardtolove9999
Reviewed 18 March 2013

Great location for what I was looking for. Rooms are outdated and smell stale from the indoor pool,beds are old and entire room in need of work. On the up side the staff are friendly and the food at chop is awesome. I had the filet of beef it was cooked medium as I asked and very tender, I sat at the bar as I was traveling alone, the bar maid and waitress were very friendly.

• Stayed: January 2013
1  Thank Bbjuic
Reviewed 6 March 2013

We spent two nights in this place, and never again!!!! We were on the first floor, and the first thing you experience are the filthy, and I mean filthy carpets,on the stairs and in the halls. The maintenance department room is on that floor as well and the cigarette smoke billowing out of there and down the hall is disgusting.
The rooms are small, old, and not very clean! The room at one point must have been a smoking room, because it had that faint smell of old cigarettes. The beds are very hard and uncomfortable, and the doors don't seal shut at all. There were a few times people were talking in the hall, and I swear I thought they were at the end of my bed.
We had to stay the two nights because my son had a soccer tournament and everything else in the city was booked....but never again!
I have stayed in other Sandman's and have had a great experiences, but this was a hugh disappointment.

Room Tip: Go to another hotel!!!!
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business