“Bug Bites”

Ranked #76 of 93 Hotels in Edmonton
Edmonton
“Bug Bites”
Reviewed 13 November 2013

I stayed in this hotel for two nights. It was not a bad hotel friendly staff but after being there two nights i woke up the second morning and had what appeared to be bed bug bites on my body. I will not stay in a Sandman hotel again.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

2 Thank Whitney N
GM-Sandman, General Manager at Sandman Hotel Edmonton West, responded to this review, 10 December 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your comments in regards to your recent stay. We appreciate your feedback and we make it part of our continuous efforts to provide our guests a pleasant and memorable experience.

I would like to take this opportunity to inform you that our hotel has in place a preventive pest control program, in order to ensure a pest free environment. The program consists of staff training and awareness, visual inspections and regular preventive visits by a pest control company.

I'm sure you are aware that bed bugs are a worldwide concern and are regularly introduced into hotels by hotel guests who have unknowingly provided transportation in their luggage, clothing and other articles.

In the unlike event of a report for bed bugs there is an extensive action plan in place that includes multiple treatments and continuous inspections to ensure that any activity has been eliminated.

Although we are not aware on which room you stayed so we can investigate further, we do appreciate you providing us with the opportunity to address your concerns and if you would like to discuss these concerns further, you are invited to contact me directly.

Theodore Stoubos
General Manager - Sandman Edmonton West
email : gm_edmonton@sandman.ca

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Maracaibo, Venezuela
Reviewed 31 October 2013

Booked this hotel because of the rate and also because I was spending one night on my way back home. Has an excellent location at West Edmonton, close to the mall, a lot of dining options around. Has a Denny's and a Chop Steakhouse. The lobby looks very good but once you get to the rooms is a very old hotel, the bed was small, the room had an odor like a very bad perfume never disappeared. Old Tv, and the AC didn't work quite well. I think that this hotel needs some serious renovations. I moved one of the beds so my baby could sleep more safe and behind the bed were a lot of dirt and old food, you can tell that the staff never move the bed when cleaning.

Room Tip: Go to other place
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank jaimeborjas
Calgary
Reviewed 30 October 2013

Room was relatively clean and fairly new. Pool did not open until 9 am so it was a disappointment for the kids as morning was the only time we would have had time to use it. There were very loud guests who decided to most likely have a smoke outside of our windows, so I couldn't sleep till very late.

Easy to book was a real disappointment though as I tried to cancel the hotel within the cancelation period and I was not able to be directed to the cancellation websites and neither of the phone numbers worked. In addition I thought they claimed that we had a free cancellation but only later I found out that there was a cancellation period. I will not book with them again.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

1 Thank 4Magpie
Farmington, New Mexico
Reviewed 11 September 2013

This hotel was literally 3 minutes from the West Ed Mall, it was very convenient for us. The room was quite clean and very quiet. I'm not sure why this palce has bad reviews. There is Denny's attached to the hotel as well as an upscale steakhouse called Chop which was wonderful. I found the hotel very pleasant.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 20 August 2013

Our family spent the weekend in this hotel. Do not be fooled by the picture of the nice lobby and poolside. The rooms can quite disappoint. OUr carpets in the room were dirty, literally. It badly needs shampooing and steam clean. I had to tell my kids to wear SLIPPERS inside the room!
Staff was friendly, asked for an extra pillow, it was immediately brought up. beds look ok 2 double beds (not queen).
Overall, I probably would not go back to this hotel even if it is priced less than $100. And I definitely would not recommend this to any of my friends.
BUT if you are not choosy, then this may be the place for you.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Agajean
Reviewed 19 August 2013 via mobile

We stayed at the Sandman for one night and it was very good. We checked in and the front desk was very quick and efficient. We had a ground floor room that opened up to the pool so that was very convenient! The beds were comfortable and it was fairly spacious for a standard hotel room. I had 2 small inconveniences with there not being any towels left at the pool nor a menu for room service. I mentioned the room service menu issue to the front desk upon checkout and the lady said it may have been in a drawer. I had checked the top 2 drawers and it wasn't there so I guess I didn't dig deep enough...but then again I don't think I should have to do search the entire room for a menu! Overall I would stay here again.

• Stayed August 2013
Prince George, Canada
Reviewed 21 May 2013

I spent the May long weekend here for a sports tournament with my son. The location is good, very close to West Edmonton Mall, plenty of other malls, and restaurants. A large grocery store is within walking distance to the east (handy when you're tired of restaurant food). There is construction at the southeast corner of the hotel, reducing the available parking in the back lot. The remaining spaces are all tight -- awkward if you drive a wider vehicle. The wings of the hotel surround the central swimming pool. The ground-floor rooms (we had one) have sliding patio doors opening onto the swimming pool area -- very convenient when it's time to cut the kid(s) loose. The mattress on my bed was a bit worn on the side closer to the TV. Housekeeping did a very good job. All in all, an acceptable room. The only significant drawback is the always-present group of smokers congregating outside the main front doors to the hotel, forcing us to run the gauntlet of second-hand smoke when entering and leaving the hotel. It's an unfortunate consequence of the rules against smoking indoors, and it's perhaps unrealistic to banish the smokers to some far corner of the parking lot, but it doesn't make it any more pleasant for the rest of us.

Room Tip: If you are not travelling with children, ask for a room on the outside walls (not facing onto the po...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with family