“Needs updating”

Sandman Hotel Edmonton West
Ranked #78 of 93 Hotels in Edmonton
Reviewed 25 June 2014

We had originally booked because it was a smoking hotel and my friend smoked. When we checked in they let us know right away it wasn't. Devin at the front desk was awesome and tried to get us a room close to an exit. The room was very old and looked run down. The lobby is awesome and staff are excellent

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
GM-Sandman, General Manager at Sandman Hotel Edmonton West, responded to this reviewResponded 29 July 2014

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to share with us your comments regarding your stay.

It's great to hear that members of our team made you feel welcome and extended their sense of hospitality during your stay. I would like to assure that for all of us, recognition is the most rewarding feeling,

I would like to share with you that our company invests every year a considerable amount of funds towards several upgrades and renovations in the hotel including our rooms, in an effort to provide you with the best possible experience during your stay.

Following that commitment you might be pleased to know that within 2015 once the construction of our new tower will be completed, we will be adding to our existing inventory 103 brand new rooms.

Once again thank you for sharing your experience with us.

Sincerely

Theodore Stoubos

There are newer reviews for Sandman Hotel Edmonton West

Reviewed 15 June 2014 via mobile

My wife and kid decided to do a last minute road trip to west edmonton mall. We booked the sandman on the road. Lots of places near by to eat. Nice pool. Free wifi was fast. Great bedding.Hotel was clean and comfy. Friendly desk clerks even when we checked in very late at night.

Very impressed with the price.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 May 2014

I did like the location of the hotel. Lots of restaurants around the area and only a 15 minute walk to West Edmonton Mall.
The lobby of the hotel is beautiful! The staff is very friendly and helpful.
My problem with the hotel was the rooms themselves. The linens are scratchy. The beds are uncomfortable. We stayed two nights and I was exhausted when we left, never felt like I got a proper sleep.
Our door didn't close properly (the door didn't fit in the frame), we had to make sure that we slammed the door shut just to get it to close. It wasn't extremely soundproof either. There was a couple talking in the hallway and it woke me up (several times).
It wasn't the worst stay I've ever had but I don't think I'd choose to stay here again.

Room Tip: I would choose a room on a higher floor, the noise from the pool was a nuisance at times.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank JoJoPanda
Reviewed 20 May 2014

I stayed at this hotel over the long weekend while attending a wedding, and I chose it because other wedding guests from my city were staying there as well. I wish I had chosen a different hotel. For a long weekend stay, it was anything but a getaway. We (myself and my boyfriend) were given a room the size of a closet, that we had to actually spend time in - it was literally only big enough for a queen size bed, and one end table and it felt extremely claustrophobic. If someone is by themselves, and has booked in for one night, this room may be appropriate, but for a whole weekend!? Bad judgement there. As well, we got a room that was facing the interior of the hotel, into the pool area, and got no natural light, had the curtains closed the whole time, and the lighting was massively depressing. From the other people I knew staying in the hotel, all the other rooms seemed to come standard with a microwave and mini fridge, and considering we had booked with the hotel from their own site (not a discount site) and again, were staying an entire weekend, you would think that courtesy might dictate a room with a fridge. I understand that since there is a restaurant that serves breakfast onsite, the complimentary breakfast is not necessary, but I could have stayed at a much nicer hotel, probably for around the same cost, that had a complimentary breakfast, a decent sized room, and a mini fridge.
One last thing - this may not be required of the hotel in any way, but it would have been a nice touch that says "above and beyond" since we are out of town guests. I called a few days before our reservation to find out if they had a shuttle service to the airport. They do not, and we took a cab which was expensive. I found out over the course of the weekend, that we could have booked a "sky shuttle" from the airport to take us directly to the hotel for HALF the cost. As a hotel employee, this is something that they probably knew about, just failed to inform me of, so thanks for that.

Room Tip: Do not let them give you a room with the poolside balcony unless you do intend to spend any time in...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank shandue
Reviewed 9 May 2014

Very nice hotel with great customer service. Comfortable beds, very good amenities and withing walking distance to stores and restaurants. I recommend staying on the 4th floor if you are going to be there for a few days.

Room Tip: Highly recommend the 4th floor.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank TimeZoneCrosser
Reviewed 22 April 2014

I stayed at the Sandman Hotel Edmonton West on business in April 2014. It did not meet my needs.

There are some people who appear beautiful on the outside but once you get to know them, you want to run far, far away. This hotel is like that. Sure, there is a 24-hour Denny's, a Chop steakhouse, and the lobby is nice, but it is all downhill from there.

The hotel is a concrete echo-chamber box enclosing a pool full of excited children. I don't have anything against excited children, but I go to a hotel to sleep. You are not going to get any rest in an inside room. The outside room I was in faced huge piles of earth and construction materials, which helps explain the inadequate parking.

The interior corridor featured crown moulding which was falling down, exposing a lot of wiring, in several places. I do not know if that is even legal - to put your wiring behind crown moulding - but it does not put me at ease. I would not book there again.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Exit52
GM-Sandman, General Manager at Sandman Hotel Edmonton West, responded to this reviewResponded 9 May 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share with us your comments regarding your stay at the Sandman Edmonton West Hotel.

Please accept our apologies for the inconvenience caused by the construction inside the hotel. The exposed wiring that you noticed is a Cat 5 Network Cable which does not carry any dangerous electrical current. The cabling installed is part of necessary works to upgrade our internet service in an effort to better serve our guests.

I would also like to apologize for the inconvenience caused by the construction adjacent to our hotel. You might be pleased to know that within 2015, once the construction of our new tower is completed, we will add to our existing room inventory another 103 rooms that will satisfy our most demanding clientele.

Although I understand that construction can temporarily affect the enjoyment of your stay, I assure you that our ultimate goal is to be able to provide you the most comfortable and satisfying accommodations in the market.

Yours in Hospitality

Theodore Stoubos
Sandman Edmonton West

Reviewed 15 April 2014

Stayed here last week for 3 days and no problems, other then a bit of a wind storm one night that had some of the construction materials that was right behind the room making noise but next morning that was all cleaned up and didn't hear it next night. Staff was very nice and friendly , Breakfast is a Denny's but service was quick as most of them are. Room was clean. I would stay here again for sure.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business