“Wayyyyy tooo hot”

Sandman Hotel Edmonton West
Ranked #76 of 91 Hotels in Edmonton
Reviewed 28 July 2014

I stayed one night and it was not plesent at all. It was hot and the "air conditioning" didn't help. I saw a few other peoples doors open to get some air flowing in. I couldn't sleep the whole night. I wouldn't recommend staying during the summer. Its out dated. It kills your mood that you don't want to do anything. My stay was a lot of sweat and lack of sleep.

• Stayed: July 2014
GM-Sandman, General Manager at Sandman Hotel Edmonton West, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you taking the time to share with us your experience during your stay.

Please accept my apologies for falling short of providing you a comfortable stay in our hotel. I'm not aware if you reported to our Front Desk the lack of appropriate Air Conditioning in your room. Our Maintenance Team would have been more than happy either to address the malfunction during business hours or if a repair was not possible we would have been happy to offer you another room with a fully functional AC Unit.

Please rest assured that we are here to address all requests of our Hotel Guests in a prompt manner and once again thank you for taking the time to share your comments with us.

Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

This hotel is extremely dated. The beds were rock hard. Blankets thin and worn out. There is no elevator. I saw a mouse in the double doors between the lobby and the Dennys and the mouse went into Dennys...(I'll never eat there again). I don't think the staff actually believed I saw a mouse. Do yourself a favour and pay a bit more money and stay somewhere cleaner and nicer.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank dballm
GM-Sandman, General Manager at Sandman Hotel Edmonton West, responded to this reviewResponded 29 July 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your concerns with us. I would like to assure that your comments will be reviewed in an effort to be able to better serve you in the future.

The Denny's Restaurant although attached to the hotel, operates under completely different management. I have already shared your experience with the Management Team of Denny's and they assured me that, same like the hotel, they have a Pest Control program in place in order to address such issues.

Once again, thank you for providing your valuable feedback to us.

Reviewed 10 July 2014 via mobile

Stayed there for 3 weeks and the service is just terrible. I ate at the dennys attached and there was a dead cockroach in my food. That was the last thing I could handle from that place. I highly advise anyone never to stay or eat at that place. Save your money and health.

• Stayed: July 2014
4  Thank peter d
GM-Sandman, General Manager at Sandman Hotel Edmonton West, responded to this reviewResponded 4 February 2015

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to voice your concerns. I would be more than happy to discuss with you any of your concerns directly related to the hotel.

The hotel maintains a very strict pest control program for all the public areas and rooms.

I do have to clarify to you though that the Denny's Restaurant operates under separate management and maintain their own pest control program that the hotel is not directly responsible for.

I did share your comments with the Denny's Restaurant Manager and he assured me that they will look into this matter in the most serious manner.

Again thank you for your comments and please feel free to contact me directly to discuss any concerns directly related to the hotel services.

Sincerely.

Reviewed 30 June 2014

This is a great location, 5 minutes drive from West Edmonton Mall. A Denny's and CHOP are attached. The lobby is redecorated, but some of the rooms are very dated.

Has a courtyard pool and I was there for 4 nights (part business, part vacation) and the screaming of kids from the pool was horrendous. Fitness room was great, staff were very friendly and helpful. My room was clean.

There is construction going on literally in the parking lot and my window was blocked with construction material. The room on the first floor (outside window) made it feel like a bit of a dungeon. Smokers at the back door made the entry rather gross.

Good for families.

Room Tip: Don't stay on the courtyard side unless you like loud kids. First floor rooms on the outside fe...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments and the review of our hotel. Our Courtyard Pool Area, Fitness Center, as well as the Chop and Denny's restaurants are definitely amongst the favourites for many of our guests.

Please accept my apologies for any inconvenience caused by our construction. We make a conscious effort to minimize the impact to our guests, and you might be pleased to know that within 2015, once we complete the construction of our new tower, we will be adding 103 brand new rooms to our inventory, following our commitment to provide our guests with modern and comfortable accommodations.

Once again thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am looking forward to invite you back to Sandman Edmonton West in the near future.

Reviewed 25 June 2014

We had originally booked because it was a smoking hotel and my friend smoked. When we checked in they let us know right away it wasn't. Devin at the front desk was awesome and tried to get us a room close to an exit. The room was very old and looked run down. The lobby is awesome and staff are excellent

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to share with us your comments regarding your stay.

It's great to hear that members of our team made you feel welcome and extended their sense of hospitality during your stay. I would like to assure that for all of us, recognition is the most rewarding feeling,

I would like to share with you that our company invests every year a considerable amount of funds towards several upgrades and renovations in the hotel including our rooms, in an effort to provide you with the best possible experience during your stay.

Following that commitment you might be pleased to know that within 2015 once the construction of our new tower will be completed, we will be adding to our existing inventory 103 brand new rooms.

Once again thank you for sharing your experience with us.

Reviewed 15 June 2014 via mobile

My wife and kid decided to do a last minute road trip to west edmonton mall. We booked the sandman on the road. Lots of places near by to eat. Nice pool. Free wifi was fast. Great bedding.Hotel was clean and comfy. Friendly desk clerks even when we checked in very late at night.

Very impressed with the price.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 May 2014

I did like the location of the hotel. Lots of restaurants around the area and only a 15 minute walk to West Edmonton Mall.
The lobby of the hotel is beautiful! The staff is very friendly and helpful.
My problem with the hotel was the rooms themselves. The linens are scratchy. The beds are uncomfortable. We stayed two nights and I was exhausted when we left, never felt like I got a proper sleep.
Our door didn't close properly (the door didn't fit in the frame), we had to make sure that we slammed the door shut just to get it to close. It wasn't extremely soundproof either. There was a couple talking in the hallway and it woke me up (several times).
It wasn't the worst stay I've ever had but I don't think I'd choose to stay here again.

Room Tip: I would choose a room on a higher floor, the noise from the pool was a nuisance at times.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends