“Good for business/solo - close to LRT”

Coast Edmonton Plaza Hotel by APA
Ranked #16 of 93 Hotels in Edmonton
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 23 January 2014

I usually stay at the Delta Edmonton Centre Suite Hotel as it's in the City Centre Mall and as I travel alone for work I find it convenient, safe and I can always catch a movie at night as opposed to sitting in my hotel room. The Delta was full so I opted for the Coast Edmonton Plaza. It is in a good location, central, and a very good value. My room was $139/night and it was a large, clean room at the end of the hallway (1017). It had a king bed, couch, coffee table, desk, large bathroom with lots of towels and a TV armoir, small fridge (bonus!) and two large windows. It was very clean. The lobby is nothing to look at but it has a convenience store, restaurant and lounge. I was a bit early but was checked in right away. I was given a coupon for 25% off dinner and drinks at the restaurant which is good until the end of the year. I was attending a hockey game at Rexall (alone) and took the LRT. The Bay/Enterprise station is just a short walk from the hotel -maybe a block in total. I wouldn't have taken the LRT back from the game if I didn't feel safe at night but it was fine - both ways. I had a good sleep and there is Starbucks coffee and to-go cups in the room. I had the breakfast buffet and it was fine, lots of selection and the waitress was good with frequent coffee refills. I would stay again and try out the spa and the lounge next time. And if I intended to catch another hockey game I'd definately choose to stay at the Coast for its close proximity to the LRT.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo

Reviewed 8 January 2014

Sometimes it is nice to get away in your own city. On a recent cold weekend we stayed at the Coast Edmonton Plaza Hotel. It was a wonderful retreat. I couldn't believe how spacious the rooms were. They were wonderfully appointed, very clean and the beds and linens were awesome.
We went for massages at the Adara Spa which is conveniently located in the hotel.
We can't wait to stay again.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 January 2014

Our rooms was spacious and clean, but the most impressive part of our stay was the Mgr. and his staff. They couldn't have been any more accommodating. We were there for a wedding New Years eve, my mother needed a wheel chair, not only was her room ideal, but the Mgr. went to see how we would best unload her at the Venue we were going to then called us back on my cell> Great Job, all of the crew at the Coast Plaza. Good breakfast, nice Gym. All good!

Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 January 2014

I came to Edmonton on Saturday Dec 28, for a hockey game, the Harry potter Exhibition at the Telus world of science, and shopping over the weekend. I found the hotel to be clean, very nice and welcoming. I recieved an early check-in which was great after being up and traveling since 4am.

The room (a King bed), was comfortable, well decorated and I was happy to stay here. The only things i found difficult at first were operating the elevator (it's by room key only, so make sure you always have your key with you), The shower was finicky and took awhile to heat up. When I turned it on the pipes made a bit of noise, but it wasnt super disruptive. Also, the heater/fan in my room made a fair bit of noise (a friend that came and visited me also mentioned the heater seemed loud).

I had breakfast my first morning at the restaurant and it was good service, quick food that was tasty.

I understand this place has a pool and gym, though I did not use it. And as I was there on a weekend I was not able to go to the spa attached as it is closed on Mondays.

I found this to be a good central location. I went to Kingsway mall for a 10$ cab ride each way, and walked to the city center mall and it was not an uncomfortable distance. A walk to the (Corona stop for the) LRT to Hexall Arena for the hockey game was only a very short distance.

Staff was polite, and kind, and one Front Desk gentleman that worked the evening of the 28th was super helpful in getting me a map, and helping me figure out bus routes and showing me places to go.

All in all, I would certainly stay here again and reccomend it to everyone.

Room Tip: Ask for a microwave and if available they will have one placed in your room.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 31 December 2013

This hotel was very friendly and the kids love it as per usual. They are greated warmly when they arrive and the restaurant staff interacts and makes them feel very welcomed. Great pool, clean rooms, walking distance from Sobeys which is a great grocery store to get food for kids when travelling. The pillows and duvets are amazing. Thank you to the staff who made our staff wonderful as always.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 December 2013

I was In and out for business on an over nighter. I got good service at desk. The room was clean and everything looked to be in order. Parking was a bit of a trick but they got me taken care of eventually.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 13 December 2013

We enjoyed our stay here, from the concierge's great sunny attitude to the other staff's smiles and guidance in finding our way around. The room was more than adequate, neat, clean and suitably cleaned on a daily basis. We were here for close to a week. The hotel is well located to peruse downtown, find restaurants, the Art Gallery, shopping, banking and just to walk around. The pool is not grand but hey it is wet and clean. Never took advantage of the Spa but wish we had. The lobby includes a small convenience store and the bar serve some fine delicacies and good beer - all with a smile. The dining area is comfortable and service is efficient and cordial.
Yes, we would, and will, stay here again when next we visit family and friends in Edmonton.

Room Tip: The hotel was renovating the dining area during part of our stay so it may be even better than when...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family