“CLOSED - Replaced by excellent CAFÉ BICYCLETTE”
Review of Bistro La Persaud - CLOSED

Cuisines: French
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: 86th Avenue
Transit: Edmonton City Transit bus stops located directly in front of our building: La Cite Francophone.
Description: ph 780.758.6636
Reviewed 4 September 2013 via mobile

This restaurant is now closed and has been replaced by excellent new Café Bicyclette which has a menu of comfortable foods, excellent coffee and lower prices.

2  Thank gigjc

Reviewed 16 December 2012

We had dinner last night for the first time at La Persaud after a friend gave us a gift certificate. Our experience left much to be desired.

For starters, the ambiance was one of the tackiest I have seen in a higher-end restaurant: multicoloured junior-high-dance-style lighting, terrible artwork, and, for music, cheesy French-versions of popular Christmas songs, played loudly. The hostess flatly refused to turn down the music, although our party of four had to almost shout across the table to each other (we were seated under the speaker), citing the fact that the [empty] tables in the other parts of the restaurant would not be able to hear the music (a blessing, in my opinion).

The food was beautifully presented, for the most part, and our server was friendly and attentive. The highlights from our meal were the lobster tail and the Alberta prime beef, the latter being the only dish we tried with no complaints. However, the rest (red onion tart, Pommes Anna, duck) were very much over-salted and average-to-unpleasant tasting.

Given the prices at La Persaud, I would expect better quality food and friendlier hostessing. We will not be returning.

1  Thank E C
Reviewed 24 October 2012

We ate at La Persaud on a Tuesday night. There were only a few couples there between 6 & 7:30 PM. We will go back. The atmoshere is lovely - quiet French music in the background, white tablecloths with heavy cutlery and good wine glasses all with enough light to easily read the menu but turned down enough to give the room an ambiance. This is definitely not a place for children but it would suit a business meal or a small group of friends who wanted something interesting and different to enjoy. The rolls were crusty on the outside but soft inside and very fresh. Our server, Valerie, was a gem - unobtrusive and quiet but there to assist, answer a question or help with a selection whenever we needed her. After we ordered we were brought a demi-tasse cup/saucer with a pumpkin compote in it - the base was like pumkpin pie in both taste and texture, the next layer was frothy, spun pumpkin and it was topped with grated nuts. It was a lovely start to the meal. Both the duck and venison meals we ordered came beurtifully plated. I'd have preferred the duck cooked about 45 seconds to a minute longer so it would have been warm in the centre - otherwise everything was perfect and that is a personal choice. On my plate were a long, thin carrot and 1/2 a miniature eggplant as well as 2 small tart apples which had been cooked and peeled.- a great accompaniment to the softness of the duck. We enjoyed some wine from their short wine list and hadn't finished it when we were finished the meal. Valerie brought us 1 more roll with 2 thick wedges of very old, very tasty cheddar cheese to accompany the last of the wine - a delightful finish to the meal. This would be a great place for a small celebration dinner. The parking was very good and easy once we found the right place - up the ramp on the east side of 91st Street just north of 86 Ave - the restaurant is in the lower level of the building.

Reviewed 12 October 2012

A couple of us went for some dining pleasure ($45.00/plate) and were completely disappointed! I had the assiette of Alberta prime beef. I was asked how I would like it cooked. I said medium and it came back blue rare.. My dining companion had the pistachio praline dusted duck breast, which was also under cooked. The server came back, asked how things were. I explained that in addition to the meat on both dishes being undercooked, everything was cold (except the plate that had been heated up). She said she would mention it to the kitchen... what were the results you ask.... nothing.. Never did I hear the feeback from the kitchen or receive any kind of compensation for the dreadful meals, not even an offer of a free dessert. The only postive part of the evening was the ambience, the bun and the glass of wine...

Reviewed 6 October 2012

My husband and I enjoyed a very nice Friday evening at Bistro La Persaud. I have been very intrigued by French food recently so have been seeking out opportunities to try different french restaurants. When I saw a Groupon for this Bistro worth $50 for only $25 I bought it.

We went tonight and had a very enjoyable night. We were a little surprised at first by the location (where is that??) and what else was going on in the building. Depending on the seat you receive could really affect the ambiance because the room is beautiful but if you are seated next to the entrance you see a university cafeferia exterior. I really loved facing the kitchen and watching the action (picture Hell's Kitchen without all the yelling!) That was fun!

First, the service. These guys and gals are clearly highly trained and work to do a good job but there was a little something lacking. We got our amuse bouche before we were even asked for our drink requests. When I did order my wine it took a long time. But when it came it was delicious. I ordered one of the house red wines - a Pinot Noir - which was absolutely delightful. They were a little slow on clearing plates or refilling water. Not a deal breaker though!

As a huge seafood fan I ordered the lobster tail appetizer. It was on a taber corn and bacon cassoulet with lobster bisque. It was good but not outstanding that I would rush to order it again.

For dinner I had the duck. It came with a duck breast with duck leg confit in an absolutely delicious sauce. I have been wanting to try duck confit for a long time and this didn't disappoint. It was absolutely delicious! My husband, who eats to live vs. lives to eat (like me!) even liked the duck.

He ordered the pork (it was really just that or beef for him!) and he really enjoyed it. He would have liked a cappucino while I was finishing my wine but unfortunately the machine had broken down that night (as had the credit card machine so we signed one of those old school credit card bills to pay our bill!)

Overall, it really was an experience and we enjoyed our night. Life is all about the experience and you have to try everything at least once. We had invited our friends to come with us but they declined as they do not appreciate french food. Yes the price is high and the portions are on the small side but you get an experience that you don't get anywhere else. The presentation is amazing! Food you can't pronounce much less recognize but it's totally all part of the adventure which is what we look for!

I particularly enjoyed the Chef coming out and speaking to us at the end of the evening. They didn't ask us to sign the wall though like Stephen Mandel and Alison Redford got to do!!