“Mixed feelings, some issues here, but overall average”

Courtyard Edmonton Downtown
Ranked #35 of 93 Hotels in Edmonton
Vancouver, Canada
“Mixed feelings, some issues here, but overall average”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2014

increasingly i am finding hotels do not vacuum the suites between guests. i find this repulsive to be honest. Long hairs, stray beads, crushed cookies, corks, you name it and this was so for this hotel as well. the room was a bit chilly for august so went to put the blanket on the bed that was in the plastic bag in the closet and it had long black hairs on it and smelled of sour milk. threw that to the floor. put a note for housekeeping asking politely for vacuuming and two clean blankets for the two queen beds. came back - note said sorry that they only have one clean blanket at this time. room was vacuumed though. the suite, 603 had only a shower, no tub as shown in photos provided by hotel. Oddly, closet is in the bathroom. front staff very accommodating - not so in restaurant and bar where service is very slow and inattentive. Had to chase them down to place orders, get bills, etc. repeatedly. Paid the valet parking, other pay options in neighbourhood, but downtown prices apply. Location is good - close to farmers market held weekends. we were there during marathon which made it difficult to get in and out of the poreprty - bear this in mind if coming late august. the doors really slam in the suites so you will hear this. otherwise quite quiet. river view is beautiful but windows are filthy inside and out including between the layers of the panes - seal must have broken. the bed was comfortable enough and the pillows are fine. carpets throughout the hotel are quite stained.

Room Tip: River views are very nice
Green Features: the usual tent cards about laundry. using plastic individual creamers in restaurant so that is an immediate waste of plastic.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank krayon59
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Courtyard Edmonton Downtown, responded to this review, 3 September 2014
Dear krayon59,

Thank you for acknowledging our good location and friendly front desk associates even though you did not care for our accommodations over all. I’m sorry the cleanliness of your room was not up to our high standards, please forgive us. Guest satisfaction is our highest priority and I regret that we left you with a poor impression. Your feedback is welcomed as it encourages change for future stays. Thank you for taking the time to share your review with us.

Paul Feddema

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (125)
  • Korean first
Cold Lake, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2014

I had a horrible experience at the courtyard Marriott. The staff there is horendous including the manager. I booked a room for friday by accident (I meant to book saturday) so when I showed up on saturday they informed me of the mistake. I asked if I could stay there that night, as that is what I had originally planned and they informed me that their hotel was sold out despite the other clerk booking in other groups right next to me who didnt have reservations. I kindly asked if my no show fee could be waived as it was a honest mistake and my intention was indeed to stay there and they denied my request and were extremely rude. I will never stay at this property ever again or recommend it to anyone. A big company like the marriott can definetly afford to credit me my money back for one night due to a mistake but instead they kept it and the room was unused. That is poor customer service and I refuse to support a company who operates in that manner. Disgusting.

Room Tip: Do not choose one at the Marriott.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Courtyard Edmonton Downtown, responded to this review, 29 August 2014
Dear shannon n,

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. I would like to learn more about your experience and refund any no-show fee that may have been charged. Please contact me at your convenience so I can make things right. We value you as our guest and hope to restore your faith in our brand.

Interim General Manager
Phone: 780-945-4727
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2014

Great hotel,Great staff, Great food,Great Location!!
So hard to find a great hotel with great customer service!!
Everybody in the staff makes you feel so welcomed and at home!
Cant wait till I'm back in Edmonton again so i can stay there!!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Courtyard Edmonton Downtown, responded to this review, 22 August 2014
Dear kandy f,

Thanks so much for your review and recommendation! We appreciate hearing from you and are glad to know you enjoyed your stay and the level of service we provide. Thank you especially for recognizing the staff, I will be sure to share your kind comments. We look forward to seeing you on a return trip.

Drumheller
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2014

I have stayed at this hotel many times when in Edmonton for business. It is easy to access and close to downtown events.
I like having the consistency of the Marriott line as well as the friendly, competent staff at the front desk. Check in is always a breeze, I have never had a problem, even when arriving quite late.
The rooms are clean and of course the Marriott pillows are wonderful.
This room I was in had an inordinately small bathroom, but other than that the room was great - clean and quiet.
I always find the valet parking quite expensive, but use it anyway as I would rather my car be parked underground rather than the above ground parking lot next door.. I must say they are very quick about bringing up my car.
The restaurant has a reasonable selection for dinner and each and every time I have eaten there, the food has been good. The breakfast buffet is $12.50 and offers the usual fare, but again, is tasty.
All in all, you can't go wrong staying at this hotel - it is good, dependable and affordable.

Room Tip: the river view is wonderful, but those are always the first to go.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
Dear Smarkay,

We are happy to hear from you and value your kind review. It is encouraging to know that your stay was enjoyable; we work hard to provide a pleasant experience. Your comments, which highlight our successes and areas for improvement, are welcomed as they foster change for the better. We appreciate being a part of your trips to Edmonton!

Toronto, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2014

I experienced numerous billing issues that were not resolved and largely ignored, which resulted in number of issues with my credit card company. I've stayed at a lot of Marriott's before, and the rooms were dated and uncomfortable.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
ConcordHospitality, Manager at Courtyard Edmonton Downtown, responded to this review, 19 August 2014
Dear Jonathan E,

Our associates understand that our guests deserve a pleasant stay and we clearly missed the mark. I’m so sorry for your recent experience with us; I would like to learn more. I am at your service to assist anyway I can. Please contact me if you would like to discuss further.

Rene Trinidad
Manager
780.423.9999
Halifax, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2014

I stayed at this hotel for two nights in July. I found the hotel to be updated with very comfortable and clean rooms and excellent staff. The staff were more than willing to provide directions to various things we wanted to see and even recommended a few other things for us to take in.

I had the breakfast buffet and it was very good and reasonably priced. Overall, I found this hotel to be conveniently located and great value for the money.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank eastcoastcatlover
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Courtyard Edmonton Downtown, responded to this review, 12 August 2014
eastcoastcatlover,
Thank you very much for your review; it’s great to know you enjoyed the hotel and we can’t wait to see you again!

Salil Kulkarni, General Manager
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2014 via mobile

We stayed here after having a bad experience with another Edmonton hotel. We phoned at 1930 and asked if they had vacancy. They did so we drove straight there and we're checked in quickly. I asked for a river view and she stated they were out of those rooms but would give us a very nice room. We got up to our room and it was a corner room where we could see the river from two angles, beautiful. It was super clean, bed comfy and all in all comfortable. Nothing extravagant, only complaint is parking is so expensive but otherwise great experience.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Adrian R
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Courtyard Edmonton Downtown, responded to this review, 5 August 2014
Adrian R,

We appreciate you taking the time to review your experience. Our team understands and believes that our guests deserve a pleasant stay and we continue to seek new ways to impress. I will be sure to share your nice comments with our associates; they work hard to deliver superior service. Thanks again and we look forward to your next visit.

Salil Kulkarni