“In respond to the review "Horrible experience all around! Never go here!!"”

Super 8 Edmonton South
Ranked #44 of 93 Hotels in Edmonton
“In respond to the review "Horrible experience all around! Never go here!!"”
Reviewed 30 July 2014

I was sitting on the lobby watching my three boys swim in the pool. This family of four showed up at the front desk. He was informed that he needed at credit card to check in and that a debit credit card would not work. In all the hotels that I have traveled around the world here in Canada USA, Europe and Asia - credit cards have been needed to check in. At NO time was the staff rude to this family, on the other hand the man was getting very loud and very rude, He was yelling about suing the hotel, he phone the Edmonton police department (they refused to come), he threatened the staff that he will get them fired, swore numerous times. The wife was very calm and seemed embarrassed at the whole thing - she had found another hotel that they could go too, but the husband continued for about 2 hours more with the above harassment. The two cute little girls were trying to behave the best that they could for children at that age. One spilled some fish crackers on the floor and and the wife started to clean them up but he said leave it for them to do and walked through the crackers to make more of a mess. The staff gave this man everything (they could) - mangers phone number, owner phone number, etc. The family did leave after 2.5 hours of rudeness to the staff. It is not the staff's fault that he does not have a credit card or did not check ahead of time if one was need. I have been there many times and have watched other hotel guest try to check in with out a credit card and they all left with out being rude - as this is hotel policy.. As the man left he threaten the front clerk saying, "I will be back in 2 hours to take care of this" and gave them the middle finger. He did not show up!! AS FOR MYSELF - me and my boys (all 6 of them) have been going to this hotel for the past 8 years. I have found the staff ALWAYS pleasant and helpful. The cleaning staff is friendly and my room is always clean beyond my expectations. The location is the best if you are shopping on the south side and the pool/hot tub always clean which my boys just love. Again thanks to the staff for a great 5 day stay.

Room Tip: Make sure you have a credit card at check in as this hotel, along with many many other hotel in the...
1 Thank Lee H

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 28 July 2014

We arrived all excited with our two little girls (2 and 4) hoping to have a great family experience. We booked and paid for the room online using my Visa-Debit. I made sure they accepted Visa-debits by checking their webpage and a bunch of other site which had there rooms on to book. Nothing was stated that they did not take Visa-Debit. They already had my money, once we arrived after a very very long day. The Front Desk staff member was EXTREMELY RUDE! (The worst customer service experience I have ever seen) she looked right at my Visa-debit which had my name on it and says no you cant have your room sorry, and called for the next person in line. I then asked why? If I needed to do a cash deposit that is possible, She then put a sign in front of my face that was typed out and printed off their computer probably and placed on a plastic stand saying, we do not accept Cash, Debit or pre-paid visas. I said well it wasn't stated on your website, or any site for a matter of fact and you already took the money from my account for my room. She then ROLLS HER EYES at me and said well you can give us a $500 deposit for the room and that's all I can do for you. I asked if I could have my money back since they obviously were not willing to give me my room. I felt $500 deposit was a bit excessive. She they proceeds to raise her voice with me, ROLLS HER EYES AGAIN and says well No Hotels in Edmonton or anywhere take your Visa- Debit cards, and we cant give you back your money for the room sorry, then walks away. My husband then asks to speak to the manager since, she says that she doesn't have the managers number and is done dealing with us and we are wasting her time. HE asks again to speak to the acting manager then, she said she was. WE just wanted our money back so we could figure something else out. She ended up giving him the managers number but then the manager did not pick up the phone, however she would continue to walking to the back office and talk on the phone while pointing at us. Eventually after trying to get a hold of a manager and security guard shows up out of no where asks us to leave the premises, WE were not raising our voices, and the kids were playing nicely in the lobby all we wanted was our money back that they already took from my account. The security guard said he spoke with the manager (So they could talk to the managers but we could not) said it was not their issue and we had to leave and mentions to my husband, you have your kids to worry about you guys should just leave. The girl behind the desk said to me we have your cell on file ill get the manager to call your cell within 2 hours to let you know when your getting your money back but you have to leave the premises.... ( THE MANAGER NEVER CALLED ME!!!) While we were leaving the hotel, the FRONT DESK "Acting-Manager" shouted FINALLY, I have better things to do. WORST CUSTOMER SERVICE AND MANAGEMENT! HORRIBLE PEOPLE, NO RESPECT!! Also, YES hotels in Edmonton take VISA-DEBIT! Sandman Hotel by West Edmonton Mall. I suggest NEVER to use this hotel!! And I still have not received my money back. (Spoke to Expedia, they did a investigation on this, Super 8 Hotel Edmonton south WAS IN THE WRONG)

Juvy S, Owner at Super 8 Edmonton South, responded to this review, 30 July 2014
As the owner of this hotel, I take a keen interest in what our guest are saying, so I was particularly alarmed when I saw this review and after doing some research decided I would repond personally. Our policy on credit cards is clearly stated and unfortunately while this couple had a visa/debit card, only the debit portion was activated and as a result a deposit was asked for. The guest stated that they never talked to the manager, which isn't true as the husband talked to the Manager on 3 different occassions and the Manager did reduce the amount of the deposit to try and accomodate the family. The husband then demanded his money back, which he had paid to expedia, not us, but we had no money to give back to him since he didn't pay us. Unfortunately the husband became very agitated to the point where the staff felt unsafe so they called security. The husband also left a threatening message on my cell phone. Other guest were in the hotel lobby at the time and complemented the staff on how well they handled the situation and fortunately we have a security camera over the front desk which recorded the whole event. I can assure the peolpe reading this, that the actual events are somewhat different than what was reported. We are very sorry when things like this happen as we work very hard with our staff to ensure that they are properly trained and focused on giving good customer service. After talking to guest that were in the lobby and reviewing the security camera's, I am satisfied that the staff handled this situation appropriately and want to thank our present and future guest for their business. We appreciate your comments as our goal is to always improve and we can only do that with your help. Thankyou
Grant N Owner
Kelowna, Canada
Reviewed 14 July 2014

We spent two nights at this hotel in July and found the air-conditioner to be quite useless. When we mentioned it to the front desk, they mentioned that we should not turn the temperature down as the unit freezes up. No matter what we tried, the unit did not have the capability of keeping the whole room cool. And the continuous air flow was almost non-existant.

Our daughter had a suite rented during the time we were there and it was even worse. You could not cool down the opposite end of their suite.

There is nothing more frustrating than paying good money for a room only too find out it is too hot to sleep.

While the room was clean, the internet worked fine and the breakfast was good, we would recommend looking for a different hotel if you are travelling during the hot months.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Victor H
Lethbridge, Canada
Reviewed 7 July 2014

We had stayed here once before and thought it was decent and affordable so booked again. I booked online but even phoned to ensure I understood what we were getting. On the phone they told me we were getting the "Family Suite". I was confused as it is not an option online on their website very clearly but it sounded right - 2 queen beds, one being in a private room. They also said we'd have a kitchenette.

Well you walk into this room and wonder how this is even for FAMILIES as there is a tiny table with 2 chairs and a bed, as soon as you walk in. What about the others? Where are they to sit?

Then the kitchenette consists of empty cupboards - no bowls or plates or anything, a coffee maker, a sink, a microwave and a tiny tiny fridge - like a bar fridge but small-small! My parents had a room with 2 queen beds (a normal CHEAPER room, not a suite and it had a fridge almost double the size!). The bedroom was only about 3 feet wider than the bed all around.

Then it was hot - I mean stifling hot. So with the air conditioning being in the bedroom, we had to run it continuously and froze in the bedroom, and had to keep the bedroom door open to get the cool air to the other bed so that the kids could sleep. The kids were up very late as it was too hot, meanwhile we froze and certainly did not get any privacy with the door wide open!

Then we were going to West Ed Mall and there is a sign about discounted admission passes. The clerk convinced us to NOT get them at the front desk as it would be cheaper at the mall - telling us it is $99 for a family of 4 at the mall. We get to the mall and it is $119 for a family of 4!

We were there for 5 nights and only had the room cleaned once, by our choice, and they took our dirty towels but did not replace them! So for the last two nights we made due with 2 towels.

We had no coffee that wasn't decaf in our room and the coffee maker spills everywhere when pouring and only holds enough for 2 cups.

The breakfast was ok. The pool was ok when not being used by all the big kids in the hotel. Most staff were friendly but the staff at the front desk who talked to us about West Edmonton Mall was not very nice at all.

I don't think we will be back.

If you do go - just get a room with 2 queen beds, do NOT get a family suite. The 2 queen bed rooms are MUCH better and better priced too. The "kitchenette" is not worth it at all as it is hardly that.

Room Tip: Don't get a FAMILY SUITE - just get a two queen bed room - same size, better fridge and cheaper...
2 Thank paixful