“Very nice, excellent bang for your buck” 5 of 5 bubbles

Metterra Hotel on Whyte
Ranked #4 of 93 Hotels in Edmonton
GreenLeadersBronze level
Calgary, Canada
“Very nice, excellent bang for your buck”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2012

My wife and I had to make a last minute trip to Edmonton, and didn't have much time to research the hotels, but I think we hit the jackpot. I'll get the drawbacks out of the way then go over items piece by piece. We stayed in a very nice Fire and Water suite, so many comments might not apply to other rooms. The drawback list might seem long, and rest short, but it didn't seem that way to us, we were quite impressed.
Drawbacks
Parking, it is mentioned in here quite often, but what isn't covered is that there is no place to park while you check in or out. When checking in I dropped off my wife (holding up traffic) and drove around the block twice, before someone pulled out of the 15 minute loading zone. Then, I pulled into a spot vacated by a very small car, I couldn't get as close to the curb as I would like,(especially on a busy street). I ran in, and dropped my keys with the valet, and he got it out of there. They tell me, they require 45 minutes to bring your car around, so you better plan in advance. We wanted ours for checkout time, as I'm sure many other people did, and there is only one valet to go get each car, which I'm guessing is a 15 minute round trip. Our car was 10 minutes late, and had to drive by the hotel (and us) as there were no parking spaces, and go park in the very icy, very tight back alley. We didn't know if he would keep circling, so we waited in the front for him, and he walked through the hotel to get us, and lead us through the maze on the way to the back alley. If you opt for self parking, it is across the busy Whyte avenue and then down a side street, and into an impark lot. Registered hotel guests park for free, when they tell the front desk they are parking there. Of course, you don't know what lot it is until you check in, so you can't park there, and walk to the hotel with your luggage.
Temperature
We read someone elses comments that the air conditioning doesn't work. We had the fire place going, and heated up the place, and it stayed hot all night, despite opening a balcony door for 15 minutes to cool it. We had the thermostat set for 50 F, about 10C (yes thermostat is in F, not C, and some people might not know how to set it) In the morning, I played with the fan speed on the thermostat, and it started to cool down on high. I think that was my rooky error, and I'll probably be good next trip.
Noise
If you are on the Whyte avenue side, it gets noisey when the bars let out between 2 and 3, so if you don't like noise don't stay on that side. We were right across from the elevator and heard nothing, so the walls are fine. My wife was too hot too sleep in bed, and tried to sleep on the couch, which is close to one of our two gorgeous decks, our neighbors were just back from the bar, and sitting outside on their deck, quietly talking, but she could here it clearly. There was a deck off our bedroom as well, but nobody was sitting there. The fan (that we didn't use) was quite loud, when on high, and I believe it would have drowned out that noise. I'm used to sleeping with a loud fan creating white noise, so this probably would have helped us sleep.
The color scheme
The hotel is done in a sort of dirty brown, that makes it hard to tell if something is clean or not, I tend to believe it was clean, we saw no reason to think otherwise, but the colors can confuse you.
Pillows
I know this sounds petty, but the pillows are very firm, very short, and thick, if this isn't your style, you won't like them.
The good stuff.
We loved the hotel, it was gorgeous, trendy and gave a lot of bang for your buck.
We paid less for a suite with a fire place, a 5 head shower, and a bar, than we pay for a king room at the Delta in Regina. I noticed hotels in Edmonton, seem to be cheaper than similar hotels in Calgary, Vancouver and Regina, which are the nearest major cities.
The lobby was gorgeous, the hospitality room, had two decks nestled in the trees overlooking Whyte avenue, the room was nice, the gymn had all the basics. They have breakfast until 9 on weekdays, 10:30 on weekends, which is quite extensive for a continental breakfast. They had a coffee,capucino,hot chocolate machine available all the time. They have wine and cheese from 5:30 to 6:30, they had 4 white, and 2 reds when we were there. None of them great wines, but not garbage either, but hey it was free. The cheese was a white bland cheese, possibly mozzarella, and marble cheese. I would have preferred an aged cheddar, a gouda, or a bleu cheese to go with the wine. But again, how can I complain when it is free, and the room was priced right.
The fire and water suite.
Huge, 710 sq. ft, lots of closet space, a gas fireplace on a timer, a bar area, where you could sit and have drinks, it had a minifridge and counter with snacks and drinks you pay for, I'm told they are reasonably priced. They provide a coffee maker, with 2 cups of coffee, 2 cups of decaf, and 2 of green tea. What blew us away, was the whole package, two huge decks overlooking Whyte ave, the fireplace, the upscale bathroom, a seperate bedroom.
The bedroom had three doors, one leading to the bathroom, one to the living room, the living room also had a door to the bathroom. The other door went to a deck. The bed was quite comfortable, with a very nice comforter/duvet, but the pillows are short and very firm, when you are putting 4 pillows per bed, two shoudl be hard, two should soft.The decks were all meshed in, I'm not sure if this is to keep the birds out, or to keep people from throwing stuff at the people on the street, it would work for both. The decks each had two chairs, and a table, a chaise lounge would have been a nice touch, as there was room for a couple of those as well. The fire and water suite we had, was on the third floor, which looks to be the only floor with large balconies. Some other rooms had smaller balconies, and it looked like some had none. If your idea of a nice day is to sit on a deck, drinking a glass of wine (wine store 3 blocks down Whyte, or pay for the merlot in the room) and watching thousands of people, some with huge holes in their ear, wearing mohawks, others dressed in the latest trendy styles, then this deck is for you. If I was 20 years younger, I would have practically lived at this hotel.
The bathroom
The bathroom was upscale, but a bit of a let down, we were expecting a juccuzzi tub for two, it is much smaller. The shower is nice with 5 shower heads, though the tap was a little finicky, I soon found the sweet spot.
The location
Perfect, trendy shops and restaurants abound, there is a farmers market every saturday. There must be 10 restaurants/bars in a 5 minute walk, 30 in a ten minute walk. We ate at the greek restaurant Yianni's about 3 doors down. They had a belly dancer wiggling through the tables, and kept everything hopping. The food was great, but there was too much of it. The entree for two, would have fed 4, and we are big eaters.
This is is handy because the hotel doesn't have a restaurant or bar.
The staff.
The staff were nice and professional, however they scared us when they couldn't find our car when we were leaving, it turned out to be on the way, as ordered. We also asked where we could find a romantic restaurant, and were pointed to 3 restaurants, a quick check showed they weren't very romantic. All the recommended restaurants were less than a block away, so they might have thought we wouldn't walk five or ten minutes to a restaurant, as I've since heard of several romantic restaurants in the area.

Room Tip: The fire and water suites were fantastic, ours was 301, it had two huge decks overlooking white ave...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank QCseismic

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (143)
Fort McMurray, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2012

Great experience.
The location: is whyte ave amazing restaurants, cupcakes, and more just a few steps away.
The hotel: is amazing clean and the room with the fire place that i got was even better.
The hotel staff: valet parked my car, and restaurant recommendations were 10 out of 10 amazing Job THANK YOU.
The breakfast was pretty basic but good enough for me.
The price was a little high but had a good overall experience.
i was actually pleased with my stay

Room Tip: high floor facing north are away from the noise and the view is good.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank veron_ar
British Columbia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2012

My husband, 17-year-old son, and I stayed for 2 nights while visiting the Univ. of Alberta. This is a great location if visiting the University as it is so close. The area is rather artsy and quite different from the normal "big city" hotel. However, very comfortable.

We loved the trendy room, the cappuccino machine in the breakfast room, the free parking, free wifi in the room, and the complimentary wine social. There was lots of choice for breakfast and the public rooms were trendy, comfortable and quite lovely.

There are numerous places to eat in the area - within walking distance and by car. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Patches07
Northwest Territories
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Metterra over a long weekend close to Valentine's Day. Normally we would not stay on Whyte Ave. given the proximity to so many bars because we have young kids but this trip was kids free so the idea of having restaurants and bars right at our door was appealing. The free valet was great because I hate city parking and a nice free glass of wine and a serve yourself cracker and cheese plate was a great way to start the evening. Upon entering our room I really like the almost circular shape. Everything had it's own spot and the room and washroom were very clean. The room was showing some wear on the cabinets in the washroom and the "kitchen" area in the room but honestly it was so handy having a sink/fridge/countertop in the "living" area that I can't complain. Yes there's a bit of noise in the late evening but you're on Whyte Ave!! It was quiet enough in our room with the drapes drawn to get a restful nights sleep. Started the morning with a Keurig coffee in our room (there were several coffee/tea pods for us) and then off to the breakfast. Typical continental breakfast with 1 waffle machine so we had pastries or cereal instead. When we booked there was a stay 2 nights and get the 3rd night free. Worth asking about, great deal considering the free valet, wine & cheese in the evening, and breakfast in the am. Will definitely stay again if traveling without the kids :)

Room Tip: Request a room up away from the road to limit noise
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank ArcticExplorer
Edmonton
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 March 2012

My best friend and I spent the first weekend in March at the Metterra on Whyte and our experience was very positive!
The staff were attentive to all our needs and ou room was well appointed and clean. I especially loved the high tech coffee machine!
The continental breakfast was superb and included hard boiled eggs and fresh fruit.
I would deffintly stay again and recommend to all my friends and family.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank Mona Q
Cranbrook, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2012

My husband and I along with my Daughter and her husband were in Edmonton for a wedding and stayed at this hotel, we really enjoyed our stay, very comfortable and we really enjoyed the complimentary wine and cheese in the evening and breakfast was very good in the mornings. This hotel was close to great restaurants and shopping yet close to city center also.
We will definitly stay there again.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Patty E
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2012

Great posh bed and breakfast hotel. Excellent location is you are staying on the south side of Edmonton. Stayed here for 6 nights. Very clean, staff polite, friendly and helpful. Good continental breakfast that comes with the price of the room. Good size bedrooms, with facilities. Down-side, no hotel bar and meal are shipped in from outside restaurants. Didn't try room service, maybe fantastic, but no need to worry, plenty or good restaurants on your doorstep. If in Edmonton again, would definitely stay there.

Room Tip: Corner suites are large and sunny
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business