“A Nice hotel, but Wouldn't Stay Here Again”

Metterra Hotel on Whyte
Ranked #7 of 91 Hotels in Edmonton
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 31 March 2014

I have stayed at the Metterra and the sister hotel, Varscona on work trips previously. My husband and I decided to have a night in Edmonton and booked a hotel at the Metterra due to the location, and I had good experiences previously.
Our room was nice, although quite small. And the breakfast in the morning was really good. lots of selection and nice to have some warm breakfast options as well. The bed was comfy, but we both woke up extremely early as the room was sweltering! We had turned the heat was down all the way when we got into the room, but the room was still extremely warm. We had a balcony, and no windows that would open so we tried to open the door to cool the room off slightly, but we could not open it, and it seemed that it was frozen shut.

After a long mostly sleepless night, we decided to get up early and hit the road. After a call down for our vehicle we were told it would be a 30-45 minute wait. Annoying, but not a big deal. We finished packing, and getting ready and headed down stairs probably about 30 minues after we had called for our vehicle. At the front desk, we were told it would be at least another 20 minutes. I know my way around edmonton, and know Whyte Ave and knew our vehicle couldn't be too far away so asked if we could just walk to our car. After the front desk advised we would have to walk about 3 blocks to the parkade to get our vehicle he grabbed the keys and noticed it wasn't where it should be. It was considered "oversized" and was parked just across the road in the tiniest parking lot ever. After getting the mass confusion figured out, we walked for about 2 minutes to our vehicle and are very thankful we didn't continue to wait for our vehicle to be driven around the block.

Although our stay wasn't horrible, we wouldn't stay here again. We have stayed in other hotels in Edmonton that we have enjoyed more.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Dawn L, General Manager at Metterra Hotel on Whyte, responded to this reviewResponded 4 April 2014

Dear AlbertaGirl22,

Thank you for your review. We apologize that you had an issue with the heating in the rooms. If you would like to contact us directly and let us know what room you were in, we would happily take a look at the system to ensure that it is operating correctly. We understand how uncomfortable it can be to sleep in a room if the heating system is not functioning properly.

We apologize for the confusion with your vehicle. As much as we love how vibrant Whyte Avenue can be, parking is an ongoing challenge. In the mornings our valets can be quite busy pulling around several vehicles during check out time which is why we recommend scheduling your vehicle pick up ahead of time or giving us ample notice. If our oversized parking lot fills up we occasionally put the larger vehicles in the smaller lot across from the Metterra to allow more space for the larger vehicle to be parked.

We hope you will give us another opportunity to change your opinion of us. If you would like to discuss this further please contact us directly. We hope to see you again soon.

Dawn Li

Write a ReviewReviews (1,522)

Reviewed 28 March 2014

Situated unobtrusively on the north side of Whyte Avenue, this lovely hotel offers you a great base from which to enjoy the lively area and the nearby university. The lobby is peaceful and secure and the rooms are very generous with a sitting area and a king bed (the room I was in). It also has a large patio on the outside. My room was on the back side of the hotel so I noticed zero noise from Whyte Avenue although I did note the complimentary ear plugs by the bedside with a reference to 'Whyte Noise.' Everything about the room was beautifully appointed including the artwork. Great shower with a deep jacuzzi style tub. There is a minibar and snacks - very reasonably priced. Breakfast was buffet style on second floor lounge - solid but not spectacular. Self-parking is across the street in a small lot - two minute walk. Valet parking is available. I will definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: If you are sensitive to street noise (especially in summer or on a Friday/Saturday night), ask for a...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business

Dear GregH2,

Thank you for your review! We are happy you were able to enjoy your stay with us and take advantage of some of our amazing amenities.

We hope to see you again soon! Thank you for choosing the Metterra Hotel!

Reviewed 2 March 2014

My Daughter was married yesterday at Rutherford House in Edmonton and we decided to stay at the Metterra so we could enjoy the evening. We booked our room in approximately January I believe. We arrived at somewhere between 4:20 PM and 4:45 to find that our room was not ready, as we had to get to Rutherford House by 6PM we were just a little upset, however it did not seem an important factor to front desk, I know they were busy, however, it was important that they get the room for us so we could change. They were pleasant but surely by that time the rooms should have been ready - I had phoned to inquire re parking so they knew we were coming, it was not a last minute decision. Otherwise the hotel itself was great, clean, pleasant and breakfast was lovely - if I get the opportunity I would like to return because we never had a chance to use the shower which looked delightful. Just a small factor but did not make it perfect.

Room Tip: 802 has a fantastic view of Whyte Avenue - all the lights at night and a great view of the south. T...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Joan B
Dawn L, General Manager at Metterra Hotel on Whyte, responded to this reviewResponded 25 March 2014

Dear Joan B.

Thank you for your review and kind comments. We apologize for the room not being ready upon your arrival. We strive to meet our guaranteed our check in time of 3:00pm and obviously did not meet those expectations in this case.

Please feel free to contact me directly and I will ensure that your next stay meets the standards and service that we are so proud to offer.

Reviewed 1 March 2014

I stayed in this hotel last August and gave it 4 out of 5 stars only because of the noise that I experienced with a room at the front of the hotel on Whyte Ave.This time round I requested a room at the back and it was very quiet and as the hotel is still very good in all other areas I have no hesitation in giving 5 stars.
The hotel is still very clean and does things in a very relaxed and efficient way. I had no issues with anything over the week I was there with my wife and daughter. In fact my daughter was surprised how nice the room was as I had possibly understated the room to her so as not to disappoint.
Breakfast time is busy especially at the weekends so you may have to wait a short time to get seated. This wasn't a problem for us but did notice several people who had to wait .
The Metterra is a wonderful hotel in a super area with several very good eating options nearby. I thought it was very good value for money and would heartily recommend it to stay in.

Room Tip: If you want a quieter room ask for one at the back of the hotel not facing onto Whyte
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 February 2014

My wife and I stay at the Metterra every year for our Wedding Anniversary. We used to always stay at the Varscona, but have stayed at the Met since it opened up several years ago. We always really enjoy our stay, but this year was different. Upon checking in, the girl who helped us was odd, not completely unpleasant, but she had a subtle rudeness about her that my wife and I both noticed. When we got to our Air Suite (204), we immediately noticed the loud noises of equipment that surrounds this room (A/C Condensers, pumps, rooftop equipment and possibly laundry equipment). It was way too loud for a peaceful sleep. We immediately went back to the front desk to see if we could be moved to another room. The only other room available, other than a smaller room with a double bed, was a Fire/Water Suite (801), but at $150 more, we were hesitant. My wife and I had no choice but to move to the suite, it was either that or try to find another Hotel at 5:00PM on a Saturday night. The Hotel Concierge (the young lady passed us on to him) could have made this situation much easier, but he failed miserably. My wife and I stood there at the desk, feeling like fools, while the Concierge looked at his computer and told us that our only options were the expensive suite or a lesser room with a double bed. He kept repeating to us that those were our only options and after making us beg (embarrassing), he reluctantly told us that all he could do was split the difference in the upgrade price with us. Then he told us that that was more than fair, as if to say, you're lucky I'm giving you anything. Seriously? I've never experienced that at a Hotel before, where the Hotel can't allow an unsatisfied customer a free upgrade, let alone a loyal repeat customer who has never brought a concern to the desk before. We constantly brag to our friends about the Metterra being the best Hotel in Edmonton, but now I'm not so sure.

Room Tip: Stay away from the Main Floor (Level2)
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank kfalcosparverius
Dawn L, General Manager at Metterra Hotel on Whyte, responded to this reviewResponded 19 February 2014

Dear kfalcosparverius,

We are sorry you were disappointed with your experience with us! We apologize that we did not meet your expectations, as this is certainly not the level of service that we are proud to offer. We appreciate your feedback so we can further coach our staff on how to handle situations such as these. We hope we are given another opportunity to repair our relationship.
Feel free to contact me directly to further discuss your experience.

Reviewed 14 February 2014

Every year we travel to Edmonton as a bit of a Christmas tradition and this time we decided to stay right on Whyte Ave at Metterra Hotel. I loved the location of this hotel, the room was well appointed, the bathroom was clean, and the service was friendly. My only complaint about our stay would be that the bed and pillows were a bit stiff (although my partner enjoyed it) and the cleaning service took a plate we'd brought from home (I know it's weird that I brought a plate from home, but I set up a surprise romantic in-room wine and cheese of our own). Since it was the dead of winter (whoa chilly) the noise some people say comes from Whyte after the bars close in the evenings wasn't noticeable. Another couple traveled with us and requested a quieter room, they were situated on the backside and complimentary earplugs were placed on their pillows which we all thought was totally adorable! Overall I would likely stay here again and recommend it for the central location.

Room Tip: If you're worried about the noise definitely mention it when booking or call down and get some e...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 February 2014

Please don't tell anyone about this gem of a hotel. It is too good to share!
Beautifully designed and equipped rooms, clean, comfortable beds, excellent internet, large flat TVs. very good buffet breakfast included, Valet parking. What more could you want....but please don't tell anybody else.

Located in Old Strathcona so lots of activity around the area. Some may not like the noise but the hotel is well built with good windows so not a big problem. Staff are really friendly and inviting.
Brilliant.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Dawn L, General Manager at Metterra Hotel on Whyte, responded to this reviewResponded 14 February 2014

Dear traveller2010035,

Thank you for such a nice review! We are so glad that you enjoyed our amenities and had an amazing stay with us! We look forward to your return!