“Historic, fun and friendly”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Selkirk

Hotel Selkirk
Ranked #56 of 93 Hotels in Edmonton
Fort McMurray, Canada
“Historic, fun and friendly”
Reviewed 26 June 2014

My husband and I just spent a night at Hotel Selkirk down at Fort Edmonton Park. What a beautiful setting for a hotel-surrounded by authentic original and replicated historic buildings. You feel like you're staying in a beautiful pioneer Alberta town with the Saskatchewan river running through. The hotel itself is basic-rooms are more retro rather than original turn of the century however I liked the fact that there are no Tv;s in the room. Everything is reasonably new there -furniture and bathrooms appear to have not been worn in yet. We went at a very quite time-on a Tuesday,so the restaurant was hankering for guests to go to dinner. We had plans for dinner however went for breakfast in the hotel and had a lovely Eggs Benedict and Blueberry brioche french toast. The staff were friendly..loved the housekeeping in original maid clothing.
I know this would be a great place for a group getaways, couples or for families. Get those kids turning off the electronics and TV and walk about learning history. The John Jansen nature centre is close by so another opportunity to take in local programming and enjoy the trails close by. As an Albertan I enjoyed tapping into a little Edmonton history. What a treat to stay at a place like this instead of at your generic hotel. I look forward to going again some time. Check it out!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Britgirl63

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Grande Prairie, Canada
Reviewed 24 June 2014

bed was saggy in middle, shower didn't work in the suite,toilet paper cheapest ever used, no shampoo and conditioner in room,toilet flooded and no tv! I just felt the room was put together cheap and it was no way in any way old fashioned to show the times.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Suzzette M, Public Relations Manager at Hotel Selkirk, responded to this review, 26 June 2014
Good afternoon,

Thank you so much for the feedback. We really appreciate it. We are very sorry to hear about your experience and will look for ways to improve quality and service.

Have a great day,

Fort Edmonton Park
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 13 June 2014

We were booked here for one night during our short roadtrip to Edmonton from Calgary. I had booked this hotel because it seemed like an interesting concept, and we had wanted to visit the park anyways so the fact that the park admission was included was a nice bonus.

I booked the hotel over two weeks in advance of our stay and when we arrived, we learnt that it was AMA day, where 6000 school children were visiting the park with their schools. It would have been nice to have been informed that this was occurring during our stay but it wasn't awful. It was hectic and slightly frustrating to have young children running wild inside the park but we could deal with this.

While we walked around the park, we went into the hotel to ask about instructions of how we could enter the hotel later that evening. We were greeted first by the AMA volunteers who informed us the hotel was closed the afternoon for a private function. We told them we had reservations at the hotel so they let us through. We were then greeted by a gentleman not dressed in uniform and was rather rude. When we asked him for directions for access to the hotel after hours, he was short and impatient with his answers.

We returned later in the afternoon for check in. Getting back in was no issue, and the staff at the gate was quite nice. Check-in staff seemed uninterested and didn't even bother to stand up to speak to us. We went to our room which was small (expected), but seemed cozy.

The reason I rated this hotel poorly in addition to some service issues:
1) The sheets were AWFUL. They were scratchy and stiff and absolutely uncomfortable to sleep in.
2) The walls were paper thin. There were a few families that stayed that night and a few groups as well. I know this, despite not seeing anyone else in the hallway, because we could hear every conversation and footstep that went past our room. This included ladies chatting away late in the night, and kids running up and down the corridor early the next morning.

Overall, I think the idea is nice. It was kind of exciting to be inside a theme park during off hours and see it completely empty. It was also great price-wise considering two adult admissions were included. However, we would not recommend this hotel to our friends because we had an awful night's sleep which was not ideal for a 2-day roadtrip.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Cat G
Suzzette M, Public Relations Manager at Hotel Selkirk, responded to this review, 16 June 2014
Good morning,

Thank you for the feedback. We are very sorry to hear about your experience. Our Guest Services staff should have informed you about the event at the time of booking. We are speaking with all departments involved to make sure this does not happen again.

We will also look into improving sheet quality in the Hotel Selkirk guest rooms.

If you have any other concerns, please do not hesitate to contact us at 780-496-7381.

Regards,

Fort Edmonton Park
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 1 May 2014

The Hotel Selkirk is a wonder place to take your significant other for a romantic getaway. Have a nice dinner at the Johnson Cafe, a drink in the Mahogany Bar. The rooms are nice, the atmosphere is wonderful, the staff is terrific. I ordered ice, and room service showed up in period clothes with a towel over his arm.

Best of all...no TV in the room. ;-)

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank BrWayne
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed 30 April 2014

My wife and I stayed at this hotel the night before EPF half marathon for the convenience for me to be able to shower right after. The hotel was still not officially opened, but did for the race. Because of being too early (season normally starts May long weekend) the restaurant was not open yet but the booking included breakfast. The manager went out of his way to get his chef to make pastries and set up a mini continental breakfast. Wow :) The manager mentioned to us he is trying to have the hotel open year round and operate it like a normal hotel.
The hotel is very clean and the staff friendly. We stayed on the 3rd floor overlooking the park and it felt like we were in early 1900 Edmonton. The rooms are modern but still feel like you are in the right period with the lack of TV, just a radio. Bed was very comfortable 9even though I did not sleep well due to noise from a private wedding party that night and pre-race jitters).
My wife and I definately plan on staying there again in the future for next years' race and maybe even once in the summer to enjoy the park a little longer.
A few years ago we did have lunch in the hotel restaurant while visiting the park and the food was top quality.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank wylde-p
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed 1 January 2014

Attended the 2013 New Year's Party at the Hotel Selkirk and spent the night. This is a comfortable property run in the best of the European tradition. Thomas - the General Manager - and staff go out of their way to ensure that guests are comfortable and well cared for. A wonderful experience - plus the food was outstanding. Well done folks.

Room Tip: The deluxe suites are worth the extra cost.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
London, Canada
Reviewed 1 September 2013

I planned a trip to Fort Edmonton with my three children in August, 2013. After searching without success for an hour for a hotel that was good value AND close to the Fort, I happily discovered that one can actually stay IN the park at Hotel Selkirk! The rate for the hotel includes the stay AND entry to the park which made it entirely affordable for us!

The kids were really excited about spending a night in the park and having the space "all to themselves" after closing time. I loved the idea of not having to drive through the city to get to the park and thought the prospect of spending an evening in 1920s style was intriguing. The room was lovely, very clean, and roomy, and they were able to bring up a cot for my third child at no extra charge. While I didn't miss a tv, I was glad to have wi-fi so that the kids could turn on a game while I visited with a friend who popped by to see us. Our meals were good and nicely presented. It would have been interesting to see a few menu items that might have reflected the actual hotel menu of Hotel Selkirk in 1920. The staff were all friendly and helpful and the overall service outstanding.

One suggestion I would have is to put additional signage to direct guests to the hotel. I didn't know that I had to drive through a closed off, gated entry and ended up parking in the employee parking lot and wandering around with luggage and kids, only to discover that the hotel was through the gate and half a kilometer down the road! . A really big sign notifying hotel guests that they need to drive through the sliding gate to reach the hotel would be helpful.

We'll definitely stay again!

Room Tip: ask for a view of the park rather than the parking lot
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family