“Could have been so much better!”
Review of Hotel Selkirk

Hotel Selkirk
Ranked #53 of 93 Hotels in Edmonton
Edmonton, Canada
“Could have been so much better!”
Reviewed 15 July 2014

the hotel itself is about what one may expect - very low on amenities as it is a period hotel, which was just fine. It was a real treat to be at the park after hours to enjoy the peaceful surroundings.

The staff of both the hotel and restaurant desperately need hospitality training - they treat you as though you are waiting for a City service rather than a paying guest. No attempt whatsoever to make amends.

The restaurant, however, really needs help - food was mediocre at best and yet entree prices were actually quite high. Breakfast was inedible yet over $30 for 2. It is really the only dining option that is decent so it makes or breaks the stay.

They were switching from breakfast to brunch and the staff actually turned away a paying hotel guest at 9:30 saying they could no longer do breakfast and they'd have to return for a $30 pp brunch, even though the guests explained they were told breakfast ran until 10am (we were told same thing).

Unbelievably bad customer service on their part.

There were in general a lot of staff running around during both the meals I attended but not a lot of service provided and just shoddy service in general, ie/ forgot to bring appetizer and saying 'sorry, my, fault', waiting 20 mins to get a pot of tea, dessert sitting in a bowl of melted ice cream, etc.

In general I liked the location and feel of the hotel but having only the one real restaurant to choose from while on the property, I do not think I will return unless I hear that the staff are better trained and they get a new head chef. Seems brutal, but honest.

4 Thank YEGmum
Suzzette M, Public Relations Manager at Hotel Selkirk, responded to this review, 23 July 2014
Good morning,

We strive to create the best possible experience for our guests and are saddened to hear that was not that case. We are currently improving hospitality training for staff to provide exemplary customer service.

Every Sunday, we offer Sunday Brunch. Hotel guests who are looking for a hot breakfast are welcome in our Mahogany Room, where we exclusively serve hot breakfast. This is an improvement that has been made so our guests are not disturbed by staff setting up for brunch.

Please do not hesitate to contact us directly at 780-496-7381 and we would be more than happy to discuss your experience in greater detail.

Fort Edmonton Park

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Reviewed 14 July 2014

This hotel was amazing to see. It was a very pretty hotel with a lot of character. There was lots of old charm, with the brick siding, hardwood floors and various other old time furniture. It was fun to tour the old town. With the carnival horses, the old buildings, and many other interesting old time stuff.
The room it self was fairly simple, a large bed, an armoire, old time phone, and two night tables. The bathroom was small, but came equipped with a very basic sink, toilet, shower. No television, wasn't an issue as wifi was available.
I found the staff somewhat rude. It was odd as I got a voucher for breakfast, but when I came down to eat it was a big deal to allow me and my two children in on the most basic of Sunday buffets I've ever eaten at. I could actually hear the hostess discussing with another gentleman about how I had the voucher and missed the actual meal time. We we allowed to sit at the tiniest of tables were we were no more than two children and a mother getting in the way of staff. Then I received $5 off each of the kids meal, which still brought me to $65. Plus I noticed that the night previous at dinner that no dessert was offered.? Who doesn't have a dessert menu? Then to see several varieties of dessert offered for brunch the next day? The meal experience wasn't that impressive.
When I checked out of the hotel I thought I would let someone know that the shower was spraying onto the toilet paper, which wasn't a complaint just information. The lady behind the desk who had a supervisor tag just looked at me like I was strange.
Overall, I'd probably give the hotel another chance because I love nostalgia. Had the staff been a little more kind or considerate we would have given the experience a higher rating.

Room Tip: Be realistic about what you want from the trip. The walls allow a lot of sound to travel.
2 Thank Glittergirl R
Good morning,

We appreciate the feedback you have shared with us. We strive for exceptional and seamless service and we recognize there is of room for improvement from our end. The Food and Beverage team haven taken your feedback very seriously and are making the necessary adjustments to ensure this does not happen again.

Please contact us if you would like to further discuss our phone number is 780-496-7381

Wyoming, Michigan, United States
Reviewed 4 July 2014

If staying at the Hotel Selkirk is part of your experiencing Fort Edmonton, there is no better way to do it. If you're just looking for a place to stay, you'll want a different hotel. For us, it was almost perfect. We had a suite just above the hotel doors, therefore a fantastic view of 1905 Street and part of 1920 Street. Having the opportunity to walk around the park after hours when it was quiet was also a big plus. The two rooms themselves were nice with a bit of a 1920's feel. No TV - which was a huge blessing. Instead of a shower, we had a tub. It took longer to bathe, but gave a nice feel. Even the telephones were made with a 1920's look. It would have been nice to have a small fridge - maybe they could have labeled it as "icebox"! Our room also was named after a well known Edmontonian family and they actually had information about the family in a book in the room. Overall, a very good experience.

2 Thank Bertram S
Fort McMurray, Canada
Reviewed 26 June 2014

My husband and I just spent a night at Hotel Selkirk down at Fort Edmonton Park. What a beautiful setting for a hotel-surrounded by authentic original and replicated historic buildings. You feel like you're staying in a beautiful pioneer Alberta town with the Saskatchewan river running through. The hotel itself is basic-rooms are more retro rather than original turn of the century however I liked the fact that there are no Tv;s in the room. Everything is reasonably new there -furniture and bathrooms appear to have not been worn in yet. We went at a very quite time-on a Tuesday,so the restaurant was hankering for guests to go to dinner. We had plans for dinner however went for breakfast in the hotel and had a lovely Eggs Benedict and Blueberry brioche french toast. The staff were friendly..loved the housekeeping in original maid clothing.
I know this would be a great place for a group getaways, couples or for families. Get those kids turning off the electronics and TV and walk about learning history. The John Jansen nature centre is close by so another opportunity to take in local programming and enjoy the trails close by. As an Albertan I enjoyed tapping into a little Edmonton history. What a treat to stay at a place like this instead of at your generic hotel. I look forward to going again some time. Check it out!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Britgirl63
Grande Prairie, Canada
Reviewed 24 June 2014

bed was saggy in middle, shower didn't work in the suite,toilet paper cheapest ever used, no shampoo and conditioner in room,toilet flooded and no tv! I just felt the room was put together cheap and it was no way in any way old fashioned to show the times.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Suzzette M, Public Relations Manager at Hotel Selkirk, responded to this review, 26 June 2014
Good afternoon,

Thank you so much for the feedback. We really appreciate it. We are very sorry to hear about your experience and will look for ways to improve quality and service.

Have a great day,

Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 13 June 2014

We were booked here for one night during our short roadtrip to Edmonton from Calgary. I had booked this hotel because it seemed like an interesting concept, and we had wanted to visit the park anyways so the fact that the park admission was included was a nice bonus.

I booked the hotel over two weeks in advance of our stay and when we arrived, we learnt that it was AMA day, where 6000 school children were visiting the park with their schools. It would have been nice to have been informed that this was occurring during our stay but it wasn't awful. It was hectic and slightly frustrating to have young children running wild inside the park but we could deal with this.

While we walked around the park, we went into the hotel to ask about instructions of how we could enter the hotel later that evening. We were greeted first by the AMA volunteers who informed us the hotel was closed the afternoon for a private function. We told them we had reservations at the hotel so they let us through. We were then greeted by a gentleman not dressed in uniform and was rather rude. When we asked him for directions for access to the hotel after hours, he was short and impatient with his answers.

We returned later in the afternoon for check in. Getting back in was no issue, and the staff at the gate was quite nice. Check-in staff seemed uninterested and didn't even bother to stand up to speak to us. We went to our room which was small (expected), but seemed cozy.

The reason I rated this hotel poorly in addition to some service issues:
1) The sheets were AWFUL. They were scratchy and stiff and absolutely uncomfortable to sleep in.
2) The walls were paper thin. There were a few families that stayed that night and a few groups as well. I know this, despite not seeing anyone else in the hallway, because we could hear every conversation and footstep that went past our room. This included ladies chatting away late in the night, and kids running up and down the corridor early the next morning.

Overall, I think the idea is nice. It was kind of exciting to be inside a theme park during off hours and see it completely empty. It was also great price-wise considering two adult admissions were included. However, we would not recommend this hotel to our friends because we had an awful night's sleep which was not ideal for a 2-day roadtrip.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Cat G
Suzzette M, Public Relations Manager at Hotel Selkirk, responded to this review, 16 June 2014
Good morning,

Thank you for the feedback. We are very sorry to hear about your experience. Our Guest Services staff should have informed you about the event at the time of booking. We are speaking with all departments involved to make sure this does not happen again.

We will also look into improving sheet quality in the Hotel Selkirk guest rooms.

If you have any other concerns, please do not hesitate to contact us at 780-496-7381.

Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 1 May 2014

The Hotel Selkirk is a wonder place to take your significant other for a romantic getaway. Have a nice dinner at the Johnson Cafe, a drink in the Mahogany Bar. The rooms are nice, the atmosphere is wonderful, the staff is terrific. I ordered ice, and room service showed up in period clothes with a towel over his arm.

Best of all...no TV in the room. ;-)

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple