“Noise noise noise” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #29 of 93 Hotels in Edmonton
Red deer
“Noise noise noise”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 October 2013

Worst stay ever . My wife and I have stayed in hotels all over the country and the world and this is nothing but noise all night long. If it's not the trucking company backing up with beepers on as they run 24 hours it's the paper thin walls you can hear your neighbour breath. The hotel is also located on busiest part of highway so road noise all night is a factor. The amenities are average and construction is definitely sub par. We got about 4 hours sleep and that's after changing rooms at mid nite and still could not sleep because of someone coughing next door.

Stayed October 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 October 2013

I have been staying at this property after moving over from the Chateau Nova on Kingsway. The rooms are lovely, the staff is attentive and I feel safe. Food is good - however they have a very high charge for room service - which is silly since they are not all that busy. I have visited 4 times and will be back,

1 Thank budstersmom
Regi0nalsalesmanager, Regional Sales Manager at Chateau Nova Yellowhead, responded to this review, 24 October 2013
Thank-you for your review.
We are pleased to hear that you have been enjoying your stay with us.
We would also like to thank-you for your feedback and will certainly look into our room service charges as you suggested.
We wish you all the best - Mindy Smythe
Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 September 2013

We stayed here for two nights to attending a wedding onsite. Overall I am impressed. I didn't expect the hotel and rooms to be as nice as they are.

I have to say I was a bit worried when I booked the hotel. The woman I booked through from the front desk seemed to forget to ask me key information about my reservation causing me to have to interrupt her readiness to hang up the phone to provide the information. That and because they only give you a confirmation #, no e-mail confirmation to have in hand I was concerned I'd arrive at the hotel and my reservation would be missing. Luckily, we had zero problems checking in and the woman that checked us in was great!

The room was very clean and very nicely decorated. Free WiFi, coffee pot, tea kettle, plates, glasses, all cutlery, fridge, freezer and a toaster. Yes, a toaster! Which was perfect because we didn't know the area so we bought some breakfast food and ate in the room each morning. The beds were comfy, flat screen TV. The water pressure in the shower is somewhat weak. But wasn't that big of a deal.

There was one con of the stay, which is actually a huge pet peeve of mine. We asked for a late check out as the wedding did not start till the afternoon. We were allowed to stay until 1pm without incurring any extra fees! Great! I really appreciated that. I asked for the late check out the night we checked in and asked the woman at the front desk if I should confirm my late check out with someone. She advised she was making a note of it and no need to confirm, just stay in the room till 1pm. The morning we were checking out I received a phone call from the front desk at 11:40am in which I had to explain to her we asked for a late checkout, etc. etc. Not a big deal, no harm done. However, 30 minutes later a cleaning lady walked into our room! I understand by no means is this the maid's fault but god forbid I was in the middle of getting dressed or indecent. It seems like the front desk needs to work on their communication.

Overall it was a good stay and I would likely stay here again.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank DK154
Regi0nalsalesmanager, Regional Sales Manager at Chateau Nova Yellowhead, responded to this review, 23 September 2013
Thank-you kindly for your review.
We appreciate your feedback and will certainly use your comments to further improve our customer service moving forward.
We wish you all the best in future travels.
Smithers, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 September 2013

I decided to stay at this Hotel after having problems with a lot of the Hotels in the west-end of Edmonton (Families with young kids). After entering my room, I was amazed at the how roomy it was and how everything was laid out. My room was stocked with a microwave, coffee pot, toaster, kettle, and cutlery. The bath tub was a little small, but the shower head was placed perfectly for my height (5'11"). The room was very clean, and the bed was... amazing. I don't stay in a lot of hotels, but if I were to stay in Edmonton again, this Hotel would continue to receive my business. The Internet speeds are more than adequate (Telus FTTP), and the traffic noise isn't all that bad. You are staying close to Highway 16 which can be noisy at certain times of the day, but it's a compromise that can be lived with. The Bonaventure restaurant features fine dining at comparable prices to some of the big name restaurants in the city. Others complain that the prices are high, but I think they need to re-evaluate the cost vs the quality of this restaurant. The 8 oz steak was one of the best that I've had in Edmonton. Highly recommended!

• 4 of 5 bubbles
Regi0nalsalesmanager, Regional Sales Manager at Chateau Nova Yellowhead, responded to this review, 9 September 2013
Thank-you for your review.
We are pleased to hear that you had a nice comfortable stay with us and were also able to enjoy our restaurant.
We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back again in the future.
Ottawa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2013

The best thing that happened to me at this hotel (i am being sarcastic) it is the profiling. As I was getting into the elevator, the security guard asked me if I was a guest of the hotel. What a weird question.
The hotel is difficult to get to and there re no restaurants around except the pne at he hotel and Arbys on the other side or McDonald.
If you do not know the area you will be lost before arriving to this hotel.
It is new , but the location is not the awesomest.
It is clean, it has a fridge, a microwave, cuttlery, etc. For this I can say they did well.

Room Tip: Do not accept room 231 as it is close to elevator, vending machines and people talking loudly. But...
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Thank-you for your review.
We appreciate your feedback and will look into ways to improve on the items you noted for future guests stays.
All the best - Mindy Smythe
Havana, Cuba
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2013

Ended up in NW Edmonton on business and seen this hotel on TripAdvisor, so pulled in and walked in for a room. I had seen an online coupon to book the hotel for 110bucks for a night, so asked at the front desk for a rate. The desk quoted 129 bucks for a room, and suggested we use the hotels wifi and book through that site online, then check in. I thought that was odd that they couldnt just match the price, but it was no big deal.

We sat in the lobby, booked the room online, then checked in 2 min later. Room was 10 to 20 bucks cheaper that any of the cheapest hotel in Edmonton and much nicer than the average hotel, so for the price it was a massive deal.

The lobby was large, modern, fancy rock fireplace, etc. Lots of parking outside of the hotel. The front desk staff was attractive ladies who were polite and helpful (much better than 95% of the hotels I have stayed at in the past couple years), compared to the last few hotels I have stayed at where the desk staff had only been in the country for a month, it is nice to have local people working and interfacing with the customers.

The room was like new, very nicely furnished, plush bedding, awesome bathroom with a large shower instead of a tub. The hallways were very wide and nicely decorated, this is something which stood out as different than most other hotels.

We ordered pizza from a local take out place, did not try the hotel restaurant, so cant comment on that.

The wifi was a bit weak, probably the only thing I can really complain about.

The room was the quietest hotelroom I have ever stayed in, ever. I have to say it sure was nice not to listen to tons of hall way noise, slamming doors, and kids running up and down the halls all night. I think this atmosphere really helped to make the experience.

Overall, i would have to rate this place on of the top hotels I have ever stayed at in North America for the value and the quality. I have been in others where the service was remarkable, but they always cost 4x the amount this place did.

I will stay here again next time I visit Edmonton for certain.

Room Tip: the rooms were great, cant say that there would be any bad ones from what i seen, maybe ask for high...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Robert B
Regi0nalsalesmanager, Regional Sales Manager at Chateau Nova Yellowhead, responded to this review, 28 August 2013
Thank-you for your review.
It is always great to see such a thorough review of our property and services.
We wish you many safe travels in the future and look forward to welcoming you back to Nova Hotels once more.
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2013

Made reservations for this hotel months ago for a long journey. Was concerned when we arrived in the area and to the location but once you are on hotel property concerns leave. Room was nice, shower, no tub, beds were okay but pillows were heavy and hard. Everything was clean and front desk helpful. Lobby was beautiful and nice to have the resturant on site. No Television listing made watching TV a challange but managable.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Regi0nalsalesmanager, Regional Sales Manager at Chateau Nova Yellowhead, responded to this review, 7 August 2013
Thank-you for your review.
We are always happy to receive guest feedback as it allows us to grow in our customer service standards.
Just as a note for any future stays with us, we offer rooms with both a stand alone shower and those with a tub shower surround, so that we can meet all guests needs, and would be pleased to offer you your preference in this regard.
All the best - Mindy Smythe