“Worst Experience We've Ever Had At A Hotel”

Edmonton Marriott at River Cree Resort
Ranked #39 of 91 Hotels in Edmonton
Reviewed 5 August 2009

We travel extensively across Canada, The U.S., Mexico and S.E. Asia and have to many European destinations.

Never, never, have we experienced treatment from a hotel like we did from this one!

First up, we stay whenever possible with Marriott's because one of our family is a Marriott employee. We thought on this visit to Edmonton we'd try out their latest hotel there. When we reserved our room we requested "no down pillows or comforter" (severe allergy, asthmatic!). Upon evening arrival, when we got to our room we found pillows and comforter to be down filled so we contacted the desk requesting a change of both. There was some hesitancy but we were assured that it would happen. By 11:00 o'clock we were concerned because nothing had happened and we were wanting to go to bed. We called again, and once again we were told they would change things. Finally, at 12:30 a.m. we resorted to removing the pillows and comforter and putting them in the closet area. At about 3:00 a.m. there was a knock at our door and the young lady apologized profusely, said there would be no charge for the night's accommodation and then handed us a mattress cover for us to use as a comforter (no pillows mind you). Come morning as we headed out to our days activities we stopped at the front desk to again request replacement of the pillows and comforter which they assured us would happen. We returned about 9:00 p.m. to find that things were still the same. Indeed, they took the pillows and comforter from the closet to the bed and left the mattress cover on the floor. We phoned the desk and they advised us they would have the evening manager contact us. By midnight we'd had no contact so my husband went down to the desk. The desk clerk advised that they could not replace the down filled items and would be doing nothing further. Upon my husband's return to the room we promptly put our stuff together and set about to leave. At the desk we requested that we be refunded for the second night's accommodation which they refused to do. Indeed, they told us there would be no refund for the first night either despite us having been told it would be. At this point we headed to the door where we were followed by the desk clerk and our path was blocked by a large security man as we had not signed off for the room nor returned the card key. My husband threw them the card key and we were threatened with a call to the police. My husband told them to do just that and that they could contact us at the downtown Marriott Courtyard where we were accustomed to staying on all of our earlier stays in Edmonton and we left. By this time it was 2:30 a.m.. As in the past, we were welcomed graciously at the Courtyard Inn and very well treated for the remainder of our stay. They were very much astonished by our treatment. (BTW no police ever showed up at our door as we had been threatened with!).

In the end, we took our issue to Marriott head office in Canada who promptly apologized for our mistreatment and promptly refunded our payment, in full. Including our supper snack on our first night's arrival while we waited for the change of linens for our room.

To this day we have never received as little as a note from the River Cree management for their disgraceful treatment but have kept the Marriott head office communication which bore the "cc" to the River Cree manager. Not hearing from him was no real surprise as we suspect he was too ashamed to do so!

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled as a couple
6  Thank OGB4U

Reviewed 30 May 2009

BEWARE IF YOU HAVE A BIG FAMILY!!!
My mom, sister and I wen't to Edmonton for a girl's weekend. We booked a room with two queen beds and pre-paid for the lower rate. When we got to the hotel, they told us the only room they had was a King. I told them what we had booked and they told us "You never actually booked that room, that is just your PREFERENCE". What?!?! I asked them what they would have done if we were a family of 5 (which is what happens when we all travel) and all they kept saying was "I'm sorry, there's nothing we can do".
And since we pre-paid, they refused to give us a refund so we could stay at another hotel. The "best they could do" was give us a cot and one free breakfast for our three night stay. The cot barely even fit in the room. They wouldn't let me talk to management and every time I tried to contact someone they would put me on hold. Unacceptable. I tired to contact the Mariott hotels themselves and only got a standard email reply. I will never stay at a mariott again if they only book by "Room Preference".
The beds were nice, location was close, but overall what happened put a huge damper on our weekend.

• Stayed: February 2007, travelled with friends
Reviewed 18 May 2009

I recently stayed here with my daughter to attend the Fleetwood Mac concert which, unfortunately, got postponed. We did stay for two nights anyway as I had booked through Priceline (got a fantastic rate!) and reservations can't be cancelled with them. I've stayed here before and knew that the beds were great and the service extremely courteous so I'm glad to see that it's still the same. The rooms are very quiet and although the hotel seemed quite full we couldn't hear anyone in the rooms next to us. Absolutely nothing to complain about with the rooms or the service. Not many hotels still have a doorman and a very friendly one at that.
We went for a swim one evening and found the pool and hot tub to be nice and clean despite being a little on the small side. This is the first time we've made use of the shuttle to the mall and we were really pleased with it. It runs every half hour or so and is always on time. Really great. Hanut at the front desk (I believe he's the manager?) stood out as being very courteous and helpful. I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again and probably will when Fleetwood Mac reschedules their concert.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 May 2009

We only stayed one night. It's not the best Marriott I've ever stayed in, nor is it the worst. It's about a 5 min drive from West Edmonton Mall, which was great as shopping was our main objective. The room we had was fairly clean, the hotel staff were very helpful and friendly, and the pool and fitness rooms were well maintained. We were lucky in that it seemed that there were very few people staying at the hotel while we were there. We had the pool to ourselves! The only negitive aspect of this hotel is that it is really in the middle of nowhere. You will need a car if you want to eat outside of the hotel (which I highly recommend, as the Kitchen Buffet restaurant at the hotel wasn't worth the price). We only spent about 10 minutes in the casino,so I really can't comment on it. Overall, fine hotel, but next time we stay in Edmonton, I will likely stay at the Marriott downtown Edmonton and not this one.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled with friends
1  Thank BeeandJay
Reviewed 21 April 2009

Had a 3 night stay over the Easter weekend. 2 adults, 2 kids. Requested a room close to the pool when we booked the room and that request was granted. Also had an email from the Virtual Concierge, so we requested additional pillows and towels. These were in the room when we checked in. However, on the second day, the extra towels were not replaced. We were located on the second floor across from the pool and exercise room.

Positives:
The room was quiet and the bed comfortable.
The extra towels were nice when we had them.
You could pick up the daily paper in the pool area in the morning.
The bathroom amenities were nice, however with 4 people in the room, limited.
Staff were friendly and check in and out was easy.
Room had a mini-fridge.
Located relatively close to the West Edmonton Mall.

Negatives:
There were a limited number of tv channels.
Had to use a key in the elevator for 'security', however strangers were walking around on the floors sticking flyers under the doors.
The hotel nickel and dimes you - charge to use internet connection in the room & charge to make a local phone call.
The pool is tiny for such a large hotel. There are 2 skating rinks, so the pool was constantly packed with kids.
Like most hotels, they seem to think dark rooms with low watt light bulbs are the way to go.

We also checked out the Casino. It was a disappointment. Limited number of lower coin machines, the whole floor smelled like smoke and the smoking and non-smoking section was divided with a sign on the floor.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank Can_Cancun
Reviewed 28 February 2009

I stayed at this hotel for 2 nights in August 2008 on a business trip. I found the hotel to be very comfortable. My room was at the end of a long hallway and was very quiet. As others have mentioned, the hotel is quite new and everything is in good working order. The bed was very comfortable and the bathroom a good size. A bathrobe was provided. My only complaint about the room was the TV reception. There is a nice, new flat-screen TV in the room, but only a few digital channels are available. The picture quality on the other stations was not good. Since the Olympics were on at the time I was there, I was a bit disappointed with the reception when I had the TV on in the evenings.
The only other negative was the concierge lounge. The food selection in the evening was very limited compared to other Marriott hotels I have stayed in recently. Perhaps it was because there were not many people staying in the hotel on the days I was there.
All the staff in the hotel were extremely friendly.
It is true that this hotel is in the middle of nowhere and you do need a car to get around (the plus is that there is a huge free parking lot). However, having stayed at several hotels in downtown Edmonton, I much prefer this Marriott because the rooms are so comfortable and it is quiet. If you like shopping, the West Edmonton Mall is a short drive away. I will return to this hotel the next time I go to Edmonton on business.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled on business
Reviewed 27 February 2009

very friendly staff excellent sports bar love the casino short drive to the west edmonton mall. Took shuttle once was no problem left on time. Beds to die for. We ordered a mattress cover from Marriot Hotels as we loved their beds so much.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple