“Nice place to stay” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Edmonton Marriott at River Cree Resort

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Edmonton Marriott at River Cree Resort
Ranked #32 of 93 Hotels in Edmonton
Port Coquitlam, Canada
“Nice place to stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 October 2010

The Marriott River Cree is about 3 miles from West Edmonton Mall. The Marriott is adjoining to the River Cree casino and Two-Rinks ice rink. The hotel itself is nice, the rooms are clean and well equiipped. The in-room cofee is good, as are the toiletries.
There is a Starbucks in the lobby and a very, very good restaurant with a buffet. if you choose. I ate at the buffet every night for around $20. My favorite was prime rib and yorkshire pudding night! The casino is large and airy, with a smoking section and a bar in the centre. There is lounge or restaurant in the casino as well but everytime I've been there it's been closed for private parties. The staff were friendly and the concierge suite upstairs is great - full omelettes for breakfast etc. They served a light dinner in the concierge suite as well but the buffet downstairs was so good I did not mind paying.
I have two complaints: the hottub which was not hot and paying $15 for internet. The pool looked very nice but the whirlpool was a disappointment. There are alot of choices for food and shopping within a few miles, but the hotel itself is rather secluded, there is nothing within walking distance. Don't beleive the ads about it being "minutes from the airport" as it cost $61 for a cab from the Edmonton International Airport!! I was told by a cabbie that there is a $15 flat rate to West Edmonton Mall.
The conference facilities look good, there is always something going on. And there are quite a few good concerts on the weekends. I'm sure it is busier and probably noisier then, with locals as well as visitors.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank BoomChickaCUBA

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
Western part
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 September 2010

Unfortunately, this is the only Marriott hotel in the Edmonton area, other than a Courtyard in the downtown. I understand they are building another Courtyard which is to open soon.

The room was clean, the TV worked after "rebooting" it (yes, it locked up!. The internet was acceptably fast and the view was nice. The staff at check in was nice, as was the staff at the concierge lounge. The concierge lounge is open on weekends at this hotel, and apparently it is the only Marriott in North America to do this.
Unfortunately, it is also the only Marriott in North America where you are pretty much guaranteed to get coated with tobacco smoke every time you enter the hotel and go to your room.
Yes, tripadvisor readers, this is Marriott's "dirty little secret". They have gone "smoke free" in North America, but realistically not so.

The hotel is connected to a casino. The "air flow" goes from the smoky casino TO the hotel area. So that nice lobby, check in area, entrance, etc WILL coat your lungs and your clothes with tobacco smoke. This "breeze" is more than a breeze. If you open the door at the main entrance, the force of the "wind" coming out the door (and from the casino) is quite possiblty one strongests breezes you will ever encounter in a hotel - and what luck that it is casino air! Seriously, I have stayed thousands of hotel nights, and I have never ever seen airflow so strong out of a main entrance.

They also have two of the three restaurants listed that you encounter smoke going to....so "hotel restaurants" are actually casino restaurants if you challenge them on the tobacco issue...but they are advertised as part of the hotel. Although this hotel is nice, I urge everyone to challenge Marriott on this issue. They advertise smoke free in North America and are quite obviously not in this one property. It should be disclosed.

I did give compliments on the front desk staff and the concierge lounge staff. As to the breakfast in the restaurant - the staff are polite, the waiter inattentive and it really makes a difference if the staff actually eat the same food they were preparing.

Back bacon (or "Canadian bacon") is not supposed to be served lightly browned and sitting in a pool of liquid, likely fat. Side bacon is supposed to be served in strips, and not cooked in a way that you have the strips all stuck together in clumps so it is hard to pull them apart and you have to eat "bacon balls".

I expecrt the waffle maker has a timer so you know that the waffle is cooked to perfection, but this process fails if the one cooking sprays about 20 -30 times as much cooking spray on it first. Soggy, inedible waffle. In most restaurants, when you ask the waiter to throw the food in the garbage, the manager comes to find out why. Not in this place. I saw the manager walking about - he says hi to people, but it is almost as he does not "see" what goes on. Doesn't stop or ask about food etc. Most people like butter on their waffles, but the butter for the waffles is kept halfway across the room, by the buns. Rather inconvenient.
I did try the oatmeal. Again, I don't think anyone who works there eats it. It might have looked like oatmeal, but it doesn't taste like it. I've had lots of oatmeal at Marrott before, it is generally quite good..but not here. The brown sugar is hard as a rock and in clumps, I expect they check the brown sugar at least annually.

The buffet is quite good if you have your expectations towards the potatoes, stewed tomatoes, fruit, smoked salmon and the fact that coffee, tea, juice, milk etc comes with it.

I realize that the guests are quite often not something in the control of the hotel. However, the people in the hallways were noisier than most hotels I can recall. I saw a mother and child sitting in front of a doorway of a room..waiting for someone..they were quiet, but I felt sorry for them, I didn't know what was going on.

You can easily expect there to be noise in the hall at any hour. If it wasn't the guests, then it was an employee using a two way radio loudly.

All in all, it wasn't an awful hotel. I was quite comfortable in the room. The bed was great. I'll tell you, there would be some major changes if I ran it.

If you don't have an issue about the tobacco smoke, or about companies advertising they are 100% "smoke free" when they are not, then I recommend you stay here. I didn't smell any smoke in the rooms or on the way up to the rooms. And the entrance didn't have smokers around it.

If you can get into the concierge level, eat at that lounge for breakfast, they actually have good scrambled eggs and nice employees.

There's a strip mall a short drive away that has groceries, restaurants, banks, etc. West Edmonton Mall isn't all that far away.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank guy_traveller
Drayton Valley, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 September 2010

We spent our 35th wedding anniversary at the River Cree Resort. Our room was lovely-king bed was extremely comfortable and all bedding was white with lots of pillows. Coffee was available in the room-just had to look for the machine as it was in the dresser. River Cree brings in many good shows & we were lucky enough that weekend to see Tanya Tucker. Her show was fantastic!. We have seen shows at the River Cree previously (Frankie Valli was a thrill of my lifetime) and have never been disappointed. We ate at the Sage restaurant -it was expensive & delious!. Breakfast at Taps was fair both in price & taste. There is a large casino-we had fun but were NOT lucky. The very best thing about our River Cree experiance was the staff. Everyone from the doormen, casino staff, events planner Jessica and hotel manager Tim Karash were wondeful -very friendly & most helpful.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank gadsbee
Calgary, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2010

Went for a one night visit to see a concert and celebrate wedding anniversary. To celebrate wedding anniversary I asked for some extra service by way of early check in, bottle of champagne on ice when we arrived, and box of chocolates. I was ready to pay for the extra service

- didn't get the early check in
- no champagne
- had strawberries ordered rather than chocolates (allergies!)

Ok, so the room was nice & spacious and the location was easy to find.

We went to the concert and got back to our room around 11pm -- to a message saying that our 'charge to room' order in the restaurant didn't go through as there was no credit card on file. I gave the front desk clerk TWO cards to swipe (one for the prepaid res and one for the incidentals). She hadn't done either. As we were hungry and going to order room service, they informed me I had to come down myself and get it scanned or no room service. Great customer service. Ug.

The room service that came was ok until my husband pulled a long blonde hair from his baked potato. As neither of us are blondes that's NASTY.

The next morning we had polished off the champagne and alcohol and had fuzzy heads and called the AT YOUR SERVICE button to request Advil be sent to the room. I was informed there would be a charge and that it would get sent up. 30 mins later still nothing. Another 30 mins and my husband called -- "Oh, the bellboy is busy". You think they would have let us know that?

Ok to stay, a bit overpriced, and customer service is lacking.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank DMallyon
calgary
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2010

I stayed there for 2 nights on Dec 26-27 2009 Xmas with another family who worked for Marriott. We got a very nice deal. It is close to WEM. The hotel itself connects to a casino.
The room is spacious and clean. The on site buffet is nice. The pool is not warm enough and my little daught got cold. It is 3.5 star hotel.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank rockyviewmd
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2010

I lost a Saint S=Christopher medal when i stayed i was wondering if you found it my name is Mrs Fay D'louhy

• Stayed July 2010
2 Thank fdlouhy1
Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2010

We stayed overnight here for a quick trip to Edmonton, booking online at priceline using their bid system we didn't know where we were going to end up. It was a great surprise.
About 10 min drive to West Edmonton Mall, we found it a great location, exactly where we wanted to be. They have a good pool, great casino and a couple of hockey rinks attached that made it different. We only had a basic room but it was very comfortable.
The room service was also really good, when they forgot to bring us some silverware they offered a free dessert as compensation. All the staff at the hotel were very friendly and helpful.
The only complaint I had was the weird fire alarm on the ceiling that kept blinking brightly all night. Other than that there was no complaints and I recommend staying here.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple