“New Menu Disappointment”

Cuisines: Pizza
Cold Lake, Canada
“New Menu Disappointment”
Reviewed 13 September 2012

Recently tried one of the new menu choices and decided it won't be on my reorder list. It did not have much in the way of flavour - the chicken was boiled and tastless and the chipolte sauce had no kick to it.

Visited September 2012

Manning, Canada
“Same Old Boston Pizza”
Reviewed 11 August 2012 via mobile

No different than any other Boston Pizza, the food is excellent, nothing too fancy. The pizza is my favorite food there.

Edmonton, Canada
“Is it too much to expect decent service?”
Reviewed 14 April 2012

This was one of the worst customer service experiences I've ever had in a restaurant. There are some places that I've eaten that I expect the service to be poor and it usually is, but I think everyone who eats there isn't there for the service but the good and cheap food. For a chain restaurant like Boston Pizza, I have expectations of decent service but after this experience my standards are very low.

We arrived about 8:15 in the evening and the restaurant was less than half full. Our hostess asked us to wait as she went to wipe down a table and then came back about a minute later to show us to our table. I know nowadays many people wear clothes to work that is more suited for a yoga session, but it surprises me to see that in a restaurant. I guess this is the standard at BPs now.

It took a few minutes after we were seated for the waiter to ask for our drink orders. We ordered pizza and an order of pizza bread. He asked if we wanted meat sauce with our bread which we declined.

Now if a restaurant is busy, I can understand a long wait for your food. But for a weeknight and fewer than 5 tables waiting for their food in the restaurant, I wouldn't expect to wait as long as we did. I thought the bread would come before the pizza as it was an appetizer but it came with the pizza at least half an hour after we ordered the food.

The pizza bread was dry, probably because it was sitting out for 15 minutes and tasteless (and they want $6 for this cardboard?). I asked the waiter for marinara sauce to dip and he abruptly replies "Well I asked you for meat sauce and you said no". I let him know I wasn't asking for meat sauce but marinara sauce. Maybe he doesn't know the difference? He then let me know that they have pomodoro sauce that he could get for me. I didn't get it right away as it was cold and they had to microwave it. It came out lukewarm but I didn't want to complain about that now as I'm sure the waiter would have bit my head off.

While we were eating, all I could see around me were dirty dishes, tables, and glasses. Ok, I get you are not busy and likely no customers will be coming in to sit at those tables but for the those eating in the restaurant, do you think I like to see people's leftovers sitting around?

After we were done our meal, we waited patiently for our waiter to come ask us if we would like the pizza boxed and to give us our bill. But he decided to disappear for a while and very likely hiding in the back watching the hockey game that I saw him eyeing every time he went to bring the card machine to tables when they were paying. If you want to watch hockey, stay at home and call in sick. You would be doing your customers a big favour.

I was tempted to go into the kitchen and find him but I approached the waitress in the other section and let her know our waiter had disappeared and we wanted our food packaged and bill. She came to box our food and gave the lame excuse that he was getting drinks for another table (I know it was an excuse because then he reappeared and started taking the drink orders for that table!). That sounded much better than saying "Oh, he's watching the game and can't be bothered to do his job".

This waitress was very efficient and quick. If we had been seated in her section, I'm sure I would not be rating this one. But all it takes is one bad server to ruin a dining experience and reputation of a restaurant and that's what happened.

• Visited April 2012
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“Cant complain, your typical Boston Pizza.”
Reviewed 18 February 2008

Cant complain, your typical Boston Pizza.

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook