“Used to be much much better but I still like it.”

Furusato Japanese Restaurant
Ranked #1,043 of 2,391 Restaurants in Edmonton
Price range: US$11 - US$19
Cuisines: Japanese, Sushi, Asian
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Neighbourhood: Strathcona
Jasper National Park, Canada
“Used to be much much better but I still like it.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2013

Although it's gone downhill in many ways...I still appreciate their sushi and the memories when I go there. Used to be run by Japanese ppl. Hope the new owners pick the place up a little. Could use a pick up.

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank luna m

Edmonton, Canada
“One of the best sushi places”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 January 2013

The fish quality is very good, their Sushimi's are big and fresh, and the roll are quite tasty, specially there is no junk in them like tempura etc, it is the real stuff. Price is reasonable too. Its the best sushi place I've been to in Edmonton and one of the best I've visited overall. The only thing is that, do not go there in rush, the service is not fast, as I think is the same with many traditional Japanese restaurants, they really take their time.

• Visited January 2013
1 Thank ReiRabb
“Best Sushi”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 December 2012

We just returned from dinner at Furusato on Whyte Avenue in Old Strathcona. It is a cozy little restaurant tucked in beside an eclectic record shop. They have seating for just over 50 people and if you'd like to sit at the bar and watch the chef there is seating for about 7 or 8.

The meal was amazing... fresh, colourful and very very tastey. We are not a regular sushi connoisseurs but have been to a few restaurants that also receive top ratings on consumer reviews, frankly this meal and the service out did any establishments we've dined at previously.
The 2 of us ordered the tuna sashumi (the slices are huge!) and ohhh soo good, mixed tempura (light and crispy) a perfect accompaniment to the sashimi, the assorted sushi/maki a very nice mix of fish and shellfish and a 1/2 bottle of saki.
My only regret... we couldn't finish it all. But other restaurants served such dissapointing size portions of tuna how were we to know?? Had we known how wonderfully they portion the sashimi we'd have ordered a half size of sushi or tempura to accompany the tuna.
Next time...
Total for 2 people including tax and slightly over 20% tip... $105.
The service was excellent in addition to the items ordered our server brought us a starter soup and light desert... on the house.

Just before we left we were presented with a Christmas gift. No we aren't regulars but I think we very well might be. I'm not going to tell you what was in the bag, you'll have to find out for yourself!

• Visited December 2012
1 Thank Say-No-2-Snow
Edmonton, Canada
“Not the same Furusato as 10 years ago”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2012

I recently tried Furusato again and was very disappointed. The first clue was the 'complimentary appetizer' consisting of heavy greasy battered fish bone scraps!!! The sushi was limp and not very fresh, taste was awful. My suspicions of new management was confirmed when I heard the staff speak Cantonese. The original Furusato was staffed by Japanese. The fish bone 'appetizer' is a cheap trick one would expect in a scummy cheap Chinese restaurant. Overall this was very disappointing as 10 years ago it was one of the best, if not the best Japanese restaurant in Edmonton.

• Visited May 2012
1 Thank docmind
Edmonton, Canada
“My favourite sushi restaurant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2012

Consistently excellent sushi. We have been coming here for years and this restaurant has never disappointed. I always leave very full and completely satisfied. Great atmosphere, very authentic, and service is great.

• Visited May 2012