“Finally Authentic Indian Cuisine in Canada”
Review of Haweli

Haweli
Ranked #184 of 2,513 Restaurants in Edmonton
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Reservations
Neighbourhood: Downtown
Reviewed 27 April 2014

I am a Brit living in Canada and I have struggled for the last 7 years to find an Indian restaurant that tastes and good as the ones in the UK. Haweli was a real surprise. We took a day trip to Edmonton from Calgary for a show at the Expo and decided to eat before the drive home. I quickly searched open table for downtown restaurants and Haweli popped up with 4 star reviews. We decided to give it a go and was a little worried at the outside decor at first then realize most Indian places in the UK have terrible external decor and often have turned out to be a gem. This was the case at Haweli. The entrance opened up into a well designed authentic but modern East Indian eatery. We ordered popadoms and the sizzling Chicken Tikka appetizer between us. Followed by the Chicken Biriani and Beef Korma with Garlic Naan. Wow! what a treat. it was all so delicious. The place is clean and the chefs well groomed in smart white jackets and chefs hats. You can just sense that the owner has real pride in her restaurant. The only downfall for us is the 3 hour drive to get there or we would be eating there every week!

1  Thank Marie C

Reviewed 21 April 2014

The food was certainly good and I was definitely a fan of the décor and the atmosphere of the restaurant. My problem with Haweli though has to do with the name. It should really just be called "New Asian Village". To say that this restaurant is similar to a New Asian Village would come as no surprise, but they don't even try to hide the fact as some of the menus still say New Asian Village on them.

Apparently Haweli was bought by NAV which is a shame. Nothing against that restaurant chain, but I was hoping to try something different.

Reviewed 30 March 2014

Love this restaurant I visit Edmonton 4 times a year on business and always eat here during my visits
I am from the uk and this indian food is more what I am used to .
Prefer to visit when buffet meal is not available

1  Thank Lorraine L
Reviewed 10 February 2014

very good menu. lots of choice. very authentic. service was great. helped us make choices that would go well together. excellent food!

Reviewed 7 February 2014

I just got back from Haweli. I had dined there a couple of time about five years ago, and it was very good then - during my absence they have even kicked it up a notch.

I'm on my own tonight, and I wanted a meat dish and a vegetable. With no one to share it with, i was afraid it would be too much food. And it was - each of the dishes could have served two or three people easily.

I ordered rogan josh (hot) and an okra dish (mild). Both were outstanding. The lamb was particularly good, with the spices complementing the delicate flavour of the meat just perfectly. The meat itself was tender and delicious - no offence to the good people of New Zealand, you send us some excellent lamb, but Alberta lamb is even better.

Naan is always a treat here, fresh, buttery and delicious. Service was top-notch.