“Not a Great Experience”

Neighbourhood: Calgary Trail South
Fort Saskatchewan, Canada
“Not a Great Experience”
Reviewed 18 January 2013

Not too often do I write a poor review but unfortunately I was not happy with the Outback Steakhouse. This was my first time at an Outback restaurant and luckily we didn't have to wait too long for a table. We got a cozy booth for two and started with some ceasars to drink which were very good.
We ordered a few appetizers to share and be our meal because they sounded great. Keep in mind we did not order anything else from the menu so maybe the experience would have been different but judging the appetizers...we are not returning. We ordered the blooming onion, the calamari, hot wings and a shrimp ceaser salad.
First I will start with the salad. Very disappointing. The shrimp had been heavily coated in black pepper and fried, after eating one all I could taste was burnt, oily, black pepper. The Outback Steakhouse does make their own salad dressings which is fine if you don't wreck the dressing. After 3 bites of salad it was apparent that someone was heavy with the anchovie paste and heavily dressed the salad. Thus creating a salad which tasted very salty but also fishy. After waiting a very long time for our server to appear I sent the salad back. Our server seemed confused as to why the salad was being sent back but he did offer to have it taken off the bill.
The calamari was disappointing. They coated the pieces in plain flour and deep fried them. There was zero seasoning which made them bland. And this was the first time I've had seafood sauce served with calamari...it wasn't a good combination.
The blooming onion was slightly overcooked. The batter was crunchy but the onions inside were mush. The sauce that comes with the onion doesn't compliment the dish.
I would say the wings were average. The sauce they put on them was tasty, a combination of hot sauce with a bbq sauce.
After sending back the salad we didn't see our server until we asked other staff for our bill. The tables around us were waiting quite some time to pay their bills too. People had their coats on and were standing by their tables getting quite impatient. One guest even commented to the server that in order to earn a tip he must provide great customer service.

• Visited January 2013

Lacombe, Canada
“Service was iffy, food was decent”
Reviewed 19 November 2012

We made reservations for 8 to eat here on a Sunday evening. When we got there (5 minutes early), our table wasn't ready (which is okay), but they never did really fully get it set. We had to ask for the 8th set of utensils, salt & pepper, drink menus, etc. The drinks were very slow in coming. Luckily we were there to visit with friends from out of town, so the waiting wasn't as bad as it would have been otherwise. The food was decent. Portion sizes were okay. Experience was not one that would have us rushing back, but nor would we say we would never go again.

• Visited November 2012
New Westminster, BC
“Meh, it's okay”
Reviewed 5 November 2012

I ate here several times as it was only a 3 minute walk from the Holiday Inn Express, where I was staying. The food is good. It's not fantastic, but it was all right. I had no specific complaints about the food, or the service. It was just basically an okay place to eat. After about the fourth time eating here though, I just needed to try something else. Again, no real complaints, but I wasn't blown away by anything.

• Visited August 2012
1 Thank MySuzLuc
Fort McMurray, Canada
“Steak was not fresh”
Reviewed 12 October 2012

We went for supper on Saturday, we arrived late so the restaurant was almost empty. Service was enjoyable, but the flavour of the steak was terrible. You can tell that the meat had been freeze for a while since it had this peculiar flavour when the meat is not fresh. It was impossible for me to finish the plate due the flavour.

For same price, I would go to Joeys, Earls or Keg which are really close of this location next time.

• Visited October 2012
1 Thank angelmdz1
edmonton
“Excellent food, but loud and busy”
Reviewed 24 September 2012

lots of interesting things to look at while at table, can be noisy, choose an earlier dinner time. good service, can be pricy dependant on menu item, good portion sizes

• Visited May 2012