“$116 of chewy pork”
Review of Red Ox Inn

Red Ox Inn
Reserve with OpenTable
Red Ox Inn is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #80 of 2,473 Restaurants in Edmonton
Cross street: 95 Ave.
Canada
“$116 of chewy pork”
Reviewed 27 April 2012

After two interactions with the server and our appetizers, my wife and I realized that the way to salvage the evening was to refrain from discussing the food or the service.

I had the pork belly appetizer and the pork loin entree. Both were overcooked and chewy. Such a disappointment--pork bellies can be so succulent and tender. My wife had the duck / gnocci, which she said was prepared well.

By the end of the evening, I had learned how to massage the server into treating us cordially, but he still did not tip me when we departed.

3 Thank ttravelguide

Edmonton
“Mmmmmmm!”
Reviewed 23 April 2012

This place is great! The restaurant is small, cozy, and intimate. The food is spectacular. I can hardly wait to visit again. Mmmmmmm!

1 Thank Greg S
Calgary, Canada
“Better than Hardware.”
Reviewed 22 April 2012

We went to Hardware last night and Red Ox tonight, and found Red Ox to be better in all categories. Every dish was excellent, which we could not say about Hardware. The staff was attentive, not intrusive and friendly and knowledgable. There was ample, free and convenient parking in a safe neighborhood, which CANNOT be said about Hardware. We had equivalent dishes compared to Hardware, but the final bill was $30 less at Red Ox. The decor is understated, and this allows the food to be the centre of attention. It's true that the music is odd and a bit too loud, but I think this is how they prevent tables from overhearing each other in this very cozy place. The dress code ranged from jeans and a t shirt to suit jackets and dresses, and I think business casual would be ok here. Would recommend without hesitation. Be sure to get a reservation!

Sherwood Park, Canada
“Perfect birthday supper”
Reviewed 17 April 2012

Had the pleasure of going to the Red Ox Inn for my beautiful wife's birthday. Absolutely superb. Among the very best I've had in Edmonton, and to be honest, anywhere else! The food was excellent, the presentation fantastic and the service friendly, knowlegable and attentive. DEFINITELY will be back. My wife is vegan and they were very accomodating to adapt the already vegetarian dish to vegan, and my pork belly apetizer and flank steak main were amazing. The desert (chocolate mousse cake) was simply beyond words. An absolute pleasure to dine.

Calgary, Canada
“Food is a Delight, But Bring Your Own Atmosphere”
Reviewed 12 April 2012

I brought my partner to the Red Ox Inn for his birthday and we had one of our best meals out ever! The choices were all very interesting and the vegetarian meal was outstanding. We both had the beet and goat cheese salad which we have had hundreds of times, but this one was memorable thanks to the olive dust, pickled vegetables and unique presentation of the goat cheese. I had the chocolate dessert which was the best dessert absolutely ever. It was perfect if you love chocolate like I do.

The one drawback- the atmosphere. It's tiny and intimate which we loved, but the understated decor and absolutely terrible music (abrasive medieval folk tunes followed by Radiohead then Dolly Parton- what now?) didn't lend itself to the special occasion feeling we wanted from a nice restaurant like this for the occasion we were celebrating. Like I said, bring someone you really like and make your own atmosphere and it won't matter. I hope that one day they will be successful enough for an upgrade to something just a bit special to match the calibre of the wonderful food they serve.

1 Thank Poppiesandchevre