“Because you have to eat”

Rutherford's Restaurant & Lounge
Price range: US$0 - US$15
Cuisines: Pub
Neighbourhood: Downtown
Neighbourhood: Downtown
Adelaide, Australia
“Because you have to eat”
Reviewed 23 April 2012

Not a place for people who like to eat, but it is food.

Visited October 2011

Banff National Park, Canada
“Located in the coast edmonton hotel great for breakfast”
Reviewed 4 April 2012

room service was excellent if your staying at the coast edmonton house the value is good for selection and quality

Visited March 2012
Calgary Area
“Amazing food!”
Reviewed 1 February 2012

Very pleasantly surprised by the quality of the food here! Judging by the price I thought it would be mediocre. The salmon was perfect, the accompanying vegetables were cooked to complete perfection, and the chef was very willing to accommodate my diet (gall stones). The vegetable stir fry I also tried was the best stir fry I have ever paid for. Absolutely wonderful
With lots of variety of vegetable and a wonderful sauce (note: I ordered half sauce and it was still soupy at the bottom of the bowl!). Hubby's club sandwich looked good. Overall I would not hesitate to eat there again, too bad the space isn't more inviting and the service a little more attentive.

Red Deer, Canada
“It is an average place”
Reviewed 6 December 2011

The food is average and nothing special. It is a standard hotel restaurant, or maybe just below the average right now. It could do better for sure.

Visited November 2011
Ottawa
“Absolutely fantastic food, worst...service...ever”
Reviewed 28 November 2011

The good:

This place has the best breakfast in town. You can get a real 12 oz steak with breakfast that's tender and cooked to perfection, medium rare means medium rare and they get it right every time. Everything they make is good and the place is a real hidden gem.

The bad:

Worst...service...ever. I've stopped going to Rutherford's because the service ruins the experience. It almost seems worse when the place is empty because the staff are more worried about clearing tables than serving customers. The last time I went, the place was empty and I cooled my heels for 10 minutes after sitting down while the staff cleared tables and chatted about their weekend plans. Eventually someone took my order and I sat reading my paper. 5 minutes later the same person approached me with a pad and paper and said "so let's get the order" as if we'd never spoken.

While I was eating my breakfast, twice customers got up and got their own coffee or water. And having a waitress try to take my plate halfway though my meal is just plain bizarre.

The time before that I was with a friend and we sat with tables on either side making jokes about the service and wondering if our families would be finding our cobweb covered skeletons in the spring.

Recent staff turnover appears to be behind some of it but in truth with the exception of one staff member who has left, it really wasn't all that great before the turnover. With the one good server gone, eating at this place is an exercise in frustration and I just can't be bothered any more.

Management realizes there is a problem and is working on it but when they are not physically present the staff seem to resort to the same bad habits of ignoring customers while clearing tables and just being plain disorganized and unmotivated. It seems that everyone's focus is on finishing their shift and exiting the premises rather than serving customers.

I'm really going to miss that breakfast.

• Visited November 2011