“Dim Sum...Yum Yum!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Good for: Child-friendly, Groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
“Dim Sum...Yum Yum!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 October 2012

This is one of my favourite lunch-time restaurants close to China Town and the service is always fast and friendly.The restaurant is located across from the Pink Federal Gov't Building on 97st and near the corner of Jasper Avenue It's not fancy inside, but clean and brightly lit. When you sit down at the table a waitress will bring you a big pot of green tea to start. Then the ladies pushing the food carts will start rolling by. Sticky rice, pork dumplings, shrimp cakes are great. My favourites are the flattened chicken breast on a stick with a honey garlic sauce, and the flattened beef on a stick in a a mild bar-b-q sauce. To finish get the coconut buns, as they are yummy too. If you don't see what you want on the carts going by, just ask the ladies, and they will have it made for you. The only problem with Dim Sum is your eyes are bigger than your stomach, and you take too much, just ask for a doggy to take the rest home.

• Visited October 2012

“Dim Sum is great!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2012

Had not visited this place for several years. Looked like it had had some work done so was nice and bright. As we sat down, a pot of tea was delivered which was a nice touch. Dim sun trolleys at our table right away - nice selection. The food was hot and delicious. Prices are a bit on the high side but we didn't mind as the quality was there to support it.

• Visited June 2012
Alberta, Canada
“Enjoyed the Dim Sum”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2012

The restaurant isn't fancy, but the food and service made the meal worth while. I enjoyed all the dishes offered and I felt the service was warm and helpful.

• Visited June 2012
“I Love Dim Dum”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2012

I was introduced to this restaurant in 2006. I've eaten at a lot of dim sum places but I always come back. Everyone has their opinion of what is or isn't good food. I particularly like this place and I am particular about my food and quality and service. One positive is that parking is always available especially on Saturday's and Sunday's. I have brought many friends here over the years and they have all enjoyed their meals and have returned. I always try to arrive by 10:30/11 so I can get their cocktail buns fresh from the oven. They are the best I've had. I also really enjoy their deep fried squid which you order separately as soon as you arrive. Service is always friendly. Food arrives quickly and it's never cold. I am particular about what I like most and I've never been disappointed with the selection or the quality. Again I'm sure someone will tell you there are better places (and there might well be - but I haven't found them) but I like The New Tan Tan and I personally recommend it. After 5 years I have never had a bad experience.

Edmonton, Canada
“There are better dim sum restaurants”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2012

I came here to meet a friend around 11AM and there was only one other table. Within the hour the place was packed primiarly of people who work close by, my guess is they are all from Canada Place. There isn't another restaurant that serves dim sum that's close by so I could see it being busy just from locale.

Since it was just the two of us, we ordered the staples of har gow, shrimp dumplings, and shu mai, pork dumplings, wor tip, potstickers, and sticky rice. The prices here are higher than most places, as each of the dishes was $4.50-$4.95 for the dumplings and $7 for the sticky rice. The taste is ok, the pork dumplings had a little fat in the meat. I would say there are definitely better places for dim sum. The service is pretty quick and they give you a jug of water and tea pot at your table.

I've only been here a few times it's convenient if you are looking for a place that's more downtown but it's worth going north of 104 Ave to check out the other dim sum restaurants.

• Visited December 2011